Solder reflow on southbridge chip to fix cold-boot issue.

Rock&Roll

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I've been having cold-boot issues with my x58 classified motherboard (Code 25). I originally thought I remedied the issue with a thorough BIOS flash procedure. Unfortunately, I found out days later that the fix was just coincidental.

I have a new rule/theory to go on and it makes the most sense. If I press down on the lower right corner of my board until it hits POST, i'm good to go. It's been 100% effective doing it this way. Doing more reading, this means i need to do a reflow on my ICH10 southbridge.

I have a heatgun (somewhere) with some narrow nozzle's. I assume I should make a heat-shield from tin foil to shield adjacent components. And probably should monitor temperatures using a laser thermometer.

Anyone else done this and/or have any tips to offer?

Yeah, I've done that before for graphics cards. There's just a lot more headers and plastic on a motherboard.

For another thing, even on graphics cards it's never a permanent fix to do an home-style oven reflow. I figure the heatgun will be better and keep the thermal cycle more localized. (Though I will slightly pre-heat the entire board)

I've done this to a few different laptop motherboards. They seem to handle it pretty well. I've done both oven and heat gun. if you've done it before you'll be fine.

you are on the right track, heat shield, air gun, laser therm

If you have thought it this far through I'm pretty sure you will do just fine.

Keep us posted.

Sounds good. I'll probably try to do it this weekend, as much as I don't want to peel my waterblocks off again.

Thanks!

Back