Sold my 5900x... But which X3D and when.

Advil

2[H]4U
So my 5900x setup and mobo are gone. Sold them before I went on vacation a month ago. Seemed like a good time. Did fine on that. Now for the really tough choices:

If a 7950X3D was in stock for MSRP id just buy it right now and be done, but there have not been any anywhere online for over a week. I'm assuming if they do reappear they'll now be over msrp and scalping priced.

The 7900x3d is still in stock for the moment but just isn't compelling. BUT... It's there and I can save 5 percent on it through Amazon.

Obviously the 7800x3d next month will be a perfect value choice but with this much hype they will go out of stock instantly and may cost as much as the 7900x3d does today.

So... Assuming I am going X3D... What would you guys do?

Take the 7900x3d today before the next round of insanity begins?

See if 7950x3d come back into stock soon at MSRP?

Risk trying to get a 7800x3d at launch vs the entire rest of the world.

This thread should be entertaining. 😃

When reviews came out for the 7950x3d I decided it wasn't quite worth the jump to a new platform so I grabbed one of the deals on a 5800x3d to tide me over until am5/ddr5 has matured a little more. Obviously it's a bit different for you since you've already sold your stuff and the 5800x3d would have been more of a sidegrade if you hadn't.

My second choice and what I would have done if I didn't already have a decent am4 board is to wait for the 7800x3d. The 7950x3d would have been my third choice, mainly due to the funkiness related to dealing with one ccd with 3d cache and another without. The only one I wouldn't consider is the 7900x3d.

Thought I had a 7950X3D from Newegg just now... but they actually cancelled my order several minutes later. Unbelievable. It's video card frenzy, CPU edition 2023.

Thought I had a 7950X3D from Newegg just now... but they actually cancelled my order several minutes later. Unbelievable. It's video card frenzy, CPU edition 2023.
Actually launch day they were available for at least 6 hours, and have been a few times since. Amazon has had them multiple times.

You missed the initial supply and are now trying to get lucky finding a re supply. The 7950x3d was not as much in demand as one would think. Once the nda was lifted and the reviews came out, many people decided to pass. In fact there’s a lengthy thread here about just that topic.

For a few use cases it makes sense. But for many it did not. Especially with the lopsided cache issues. Couple that with needing to use specific xbox software to use some of the features on many titles…. Just wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

And then there’s the looking 7800x3d launch…. Which will feature only one ccd with cache… so no lopsided cache issues. The 7800x3d may very well be in high demand and hard to find for months.

But the 7950x3d and the 7900x3d, not so much.

I'd just wait and snag exactly what you want... I doubt the shortage will last long. I don't think a ton of people are going to jump from LGA1700 or AM4 to this setup. Older setup will likely be more compelled, but I imagine in a few weeks' availability will be easier to come by.

I found this article, and for $500 this combo is bomb!!!

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryz...b-ddr5-6000-combo-available-for-less-than-500

NEWEGG-7700X-COMBO.png

If I were you, I will take this combo, use 7700x while waiting then upgrade to 7800x3d once it releases next month.

That's... interesting. Really interesting. Like, why don't I buy one of those anyway kind of interesting and I can build another machine out of whatever I don't keep.

Funny, I just bought a 5800X3D\MPG X570S Edge Max Wifi and am about to pull my 5900X out and sell it and use my old X570 Tuf with an older Ryzen whose MB is going. Grabbed a nice set of 2x32GB 3600 CL16 for super cheap to replace my 4x8GB 3200 CL14. Since I game at 4K there is not going to be much difference with the 7800X3D. I get to play with a new cpu which should atleast smooth out my fps a little. About $650 for that setup, sell my 5900X and it ends up being pretty cheap. I almost went with the 7700X combo but didn't really want that MB and wanted an X3D now so don't have to rebuild in one month.

That was such a crazy deal for a new platform combo. I would have probably bit... but thankfully it was out of stock so quickly. :ROFLMAO:

No sign of any more 7950x3d CPUs anywhere after NewEggs 10 minutes of stock on the 13th.

If something doesn't change real fast here I'm going to take a 7900x3d and sell it later... or not. But I'm definitely not going to count on being able to get a 7800x3d on launch day. I'll have something before then. The hype just keeps building. This isn't going to end well. Flashbacks of the RTX 3080 launch all over again. The trauma never fades. :)

Back