SOLD MSI 1080ti Armor OC with EKWB Nickel/Acetyl waterblock

jdempsey

Limp Gawd
EDIT: SOLD on Ebay

Hey guys, to commemorate finally hitting 100 posts after being a member for years lol, I'm gonna offer this, before resorting to ebay or etc.

No heat unfortunately, I've bought a number of things but nobody ever gave me any feedback, however my ebay account which I've sold casually from over the decades, has all positive feedback (https://www.ebay.com/usr/kingjavan), and I regularly sell stuff in the custom knifemaker community which I'm very well entrenched in, and have been dealing with for over a decade (@javan.dempsey on IG), without any complaints ever. Will provide whatever other information anyone needs to feel confident on a transaction, I'll eat paypal fees, and I've had a verified account there for decades as well without any disputes against me. In fact for my knifemaking and machining business, it's been my primary bank for as long as I can remember. All that out of the way, the card, and a long story:

MSI GTX 1080ti Armor OC 11G, I bought this new from newegg when they first released, got lucky on finding any 1080ti as some of you will remember, they weren't easy to come by either, I think it was because of the miners? Anyway, before any reviews were out for this card, I jumped on it. They of course, had notoriously shitty coolers, which really weren't suitable for the card and which MSI, denied until they died, would delete posts on their forums etc (classic MSI). Card would wanna hit 90C pushing it hard in 4k gaming, so I promptly ordered an EKWB waterblock, knowing I didn't want to try and deal with MSI CS, and knowing I couldn't get a replacement card at the time, if I returned it. It also overclocked extremely well before hitting thermal throttles, so I figured it was time to jump into watercooling.

Worked great for a couple years, I didn't push her overclocking but she'd hold over 2ghz easily with water cooling. I like to think of myself as a hardcore gamer, but reality is, this card has been only lightly used, mostly for playing Rust, and Dark Souls 3. Some 4k, but mostly 1440p.

At some point I started having sudden issues, video driver started crashing as soon as I booted into windows, and I though the card was toast. Nothing happened to trigger it, but everything else worked with the card removed from the system. I shelved it, and bought a EVGA SC2 to replace it. For some reason, this worked fine but I never clocked it high or boosted voltage/power limits, which in retrospect, is probably why it worked for a little while. Turns out, my PSU was dying, the insulation on the magnet wire for coils inside started flaking off, causing intermittent issues, but I guess the 10 pin power connector (EVGA only uses 8) on the MSI, plus slightly higher settings, was enough to cause the video card issues and crash the driver, eventually the PSU died catastrophically, but I didn't realize for a while because I built a new system, with a new PSU, and had swapped the EVGA into it, all the while thinking the MSI was dead. A few months ago I decided to use the old components I had with that PSU to build another linux workstation, and was having all sorts of weird issues I thought was bad MB or CPU, memory, etc, but finally the magic smoke left the PSU, and I knew the problem. New PSU solved those issues, and it made me question the MSI 1080ti I had thought was dead.

Sure as shit, pulled out the EVGA in my main system, popped the MSI back in, and she runs like a champ. I've run her for the past few months, gaming, run benchmarks, etc, with zero hiccups. I even took the water block off, cleaned the entire thing aggressively with anhydrous isopro, and replaced the thermal paste and pads supplied by EKWB, with Noctua paste, and Fujipoly pads (17.0 W/mK on the ram/vrm, and 11.0 W/mk on the other components), she runs icy cool, and I'm betting she could be pushed with the OCs much higher, although I've been running her at stock OCs since I got her back up.

Unfortunately, I don't really need two 1080tis, I'd like to try and get a 3080 at some point, and my water pump is making some noise that I suspect is going to lead to failure soon, I also am moving to my off-grid cabin soon, where the added care and complexity of water cooling just doesn't hold appeal to me any longer, so I'm going to keep the EVGA until I can get a 3080 (although I'm considering switching to AMD considering the efficiency considerations and rasterization performance, probably whatever I can actually find ultimately).

Anyway, long winded post lol, but I wanted to be up-front about the history of the card. I can't guarantee OC performance (I was never confident in pushing it too hard, considering the value of the card when I bought it), but I will guarantee she runs great at stock settings, and I feel confident in saying regardless of MSI's BS, the silicon lottery with this card is ace, it'll definitely leave the EVGA SC2 in the dust. Ultimately very low gaming hours, never allowed to overheat (first time I saw it hit 85F I stopped running it, did some research, and ended up ordering the waterblock), never mined, etc.

No backplate (didn't come with one), and I don't have the original box, or original cooler. Waterblock is in good shape, it's EKWB's specific model for this card, not generic/FE 1080ti, I ran industrial synthetic coolant from Trim that we use in our VMCs and sensitive machine equipment, which is rated for this app and material config, I was running distilled water and an additive initially, but noticed some potential corrosion from the copper, switching to Trim, solved this issue, and left the copper bright and shiny. May want to flush the block, but copper looks shiny, although there's some spotting discoloration on the nickel plated plugs ends, I don't think they were plated very well tbh.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Thanks for listening to my story if nothing else! ASKING PRICE: $400 shipped domestic, USPS priority.

Heatware account (with no feedback lol, hoping to get some from this) https://www.heatware.com/u/120320/to

20201207_110038.jpg
20201207_110050.jpg
20201207_110056.jpg
20201207_110102.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd also be interested in trading this toward a PS5 disc edition (adding cash on my end) at a reasonable trade value, i.e. not scalper prices.

$385 shipped? I'll flush the block with distilled water and blow it out with air as well.

This is an excellent card if you're already watercooling and want a top performing 1080ti.

Back