Sold a 1080Ti on ebay 55 days ago...

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I purchased it from ebay myself about 3 months earlier. Worked great. EVGA 1080Ti SC2. I just checked my e-mail and found the following message from the buyer:

"Having issues with the card you sold me whenever i play a game screen goes black i tried an older card and the game works fine."

Well, you got it 55 days ago and it had been working just fine until now. When I purchased it from ebay, I contacted the seller to see if he had an invoice I could have, which he did send me. Turns out he purchased the card from a company called Fateka. Not long after buying it, the card fried. He sent me pictures of the fried card, the RMA information to EVGA, everything, including serial numbers and correspondences from EVGA for the whole thing.

The listing I purchased it from said it was barely used, like new, which coincides with the invoices I was sent. In my listing, I listed it just like I purchased it, like new, barely used. I seriously only put like 20 hours on it, before deciding to sell it, as I was only gaming at 1080p on my projector and rarely saw it being utilized more than 50%, so I downgraded to a 1070.

My question is, what should I do? Offer to email him the RMA info and new invoice and tell him good luck? I don't know. Had it happened right after he received it, I would have told him to ship it back on my dime. Now, we're talking almost 2 months have passed.

Also, he left me positive feedback right after testing the card out, stating shipping was fast and the item arrived in great condition and works great.

Thanks for any input.

You sent a working used item. He received a working used item. It sucks that the used item didn't last but he bought it used as is. Help him if you can if not sorry for his bad luck maybe next time he will buy new for a warranty it's just part of the risk vs reward on buying used items for a lower price.

That's what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure how to go about the RMA process. I didn't feel like I needed to divulge the card's life story in my ebay auction. I just said like new, barely used. So...., since the original owner received this card as an RMA replacement from EVGA, is it going to be a problem when this guy submits an RMA ticket? Does he even need the invoice information I received from the original purchaser?

If he pushes back, I"ll explain it like this:

"So, what you're saying is you want to borrow a 1080 Ti from a complete stranger. Have him ship it to you for free. Then, you want to use it for 2 months and ship it back to him broken?"

Yeah...not gonna happen. That's why you paid $150 less than a new one.

Buyer should be able to contact EVGA directly. Sending him the original invoice might be helpful but don't think its necessary.

The buyer should be RMAing directly with eVGA given their fantastic warranty process. Having said that, the buyer technically has 6 months to file so I would try to be as helpful as you can with the buyer and the RMA process so you don't end up getting Paypal involved.

I see what's happening :

He paid for the 1080Ti, saw the 2060 come out for a good price and it's crazy performance.

He wants to get a new 2060, plain and simple.

2060 performance is 1070ti territory, not 1080ti. Not even close.

I agree but I have a feeling that Nvidia is holding back in their drivers for the simple reason that they still have stock to get rid of,not to mention compete with AMD. As is the 2060 comes pretty close at a semi attractive price

Nvidia is not holding back performance. TU106 cut down core is as fast as it will ever get especially with 6gb of RAM. Why would someone want a 6gb card over an 11gb? RTX features that are mostly DOA. Bullshit.

Depending on the price he paid for it and his pc setup it may be overkill by a fair margin. Most people believe that tossing in a new gpu will make their pc a monster while they are still using an old cpu and 8 gigs of ram.

Sounds like a scam to me. Guy has buyers regret and wants his money back.

[ think you have met your obligation to the buyer. Its a "buyer beware" situation on used products. 10 days warranty is all you should have offered. It might be a driver issue or another computer hardware issue causing only 1 game to be black screened.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
Depending on the price he paid for it and his pc setup it may be overkill by a fair margin. Most people believe that tossing in a new gpu will make their pc a monster while they are still using an old cpu and 8 gigs of ram.

Sounds like a scam to me. Guy has buyers regret and wants his money back.

Could be as simple as a failing power supply, and the old card he's testing with is less demanding. There are a dozen possibilities, and it's not OP's responsibility to offer him technical support. Help with the RMA if you want, but that is the gamble of buying used.

EDIT: Basically I'm agreeing with you haha

If you bought a used car and drove it around for 2 months and then something went wrong - that's tough luck man. AS/IS.

That aside, I remember reading awhile back that some vendors don't let 2nd or 3rd or 4th owners of a card warranty anymore. I'm not sure about EVGA but since you were the 2nd and he's the 3rd they might not warranty / whatever even with your help.

So, if the card was not fried by him doing something stupid and his CARD had the correct Suffix...he should be good to go on the RMA..from what I read...

From what I understand, the eBay/paypal invoice from the "used" sale will suffice for EVGA 2nd hand warranty.

So you don't really need to provide him the original receipt (from the original owner).

That has no bearing on the eBay transaction itself. eBay sits between AmEx and the seller.

If the payment method is paypal, they will fold under a credit card dispute, regardless of what the return policy on the ebay ad is.

I know because I sold a 1080 Ti last year on ebay during the mining boom, and as soon as btc/eth crashed, I got a chargeback, over 100 days after it was sold. He claimed the card was defective and paypal refunded the buyer. Of course the card wasn't actually defective, its just the card wasn't worth as much anymore.

I bought an EVGA 980 used off Ebay that worked for a while and then went out and I filed straight with EVGA and had no problems. They went by the serial number and replaced it with another one because the warranty had not ran out. I would send him the paperwork if you had it though. Might make it a little bit easier.

If the payment method is paypal, they will fold under a credit card dispute, regardless of what the return policy on the ebay ad is.

I know because I sold a 1080 Ti last year on ebay during the mining boom, and as soon as btc/eth crashed, I got a chargeback, over 100 days after it was sold. He claimed the card was defective and paypal refunded the buyer. Of course the card wasn't actually defective, its just the card wasn't worth as much anymore.

Ah, I see.

As long as it's under warranty, EVGA seems pretty amazing.

(I've spoken with them several times and intend to RMA my 980 Ti for a faulty fan sometime in the next week or so)

The guy said they literally just take your card, and ship you a different one. No questions asked etc.

- Since mine is a 980 Ti FTW, I'll most likely be getting back a 1070 or better :) (I've heard of people getting 1080's)

As long as it's under warranty, EVGA seems pretty amazing.

(I've spoken with them several times and intend to RMA my 980 Ti for a faulty fan sometime in the next week or so)

The guy said they literally just take your card, and ship you a different one. No questions asked etc.

- Since mine is a 980 Ti FTW, I'll most likely be getting back a 1070 or better :) (I've heard of people getting 1080's)
EVGA sounds good. I would like there to be a site that just tests return/warranty situations and gives ratings. If I knew one company was more solid then another I will pay!

Ugh this is why I hate selling on eBay.

180 days ti dispute a transaction.

Have you tried telling him to try evga RMA? He should be able to register the card under his own account on EVGA and then start a RMA.

At face value it seems his shitty PSU broke the card. Maybe help with RMA? I wouldnt put any funds towards the cause.

Send him to EVGA. Give him the original purchase paperwork. Your story is solid. Maybe even link him to this thread if he throws guff.

I try to sell local on CL cash only, too many stories of losers doing chargebacks and Paypal siding with them up to 6 months later.

Back