Solaris 11.2 Beta and ZFS improvements.

SirMaster

2[H]4U
Some nice improvements to ZFS it seems coming in Solaris 11.2.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/s...ocumentation/solaris11-2-whatsnew-2191087.pdf

Data Management

Progress Reporting with ZFS Send Streams
You can include a progress report and estimated size of your ZFS send stream during the
transfer process.
Estimate the ZFS send stream size:
# zfs send –rnv pool/opt@snap1
sending from @ to pool/opt@snap1
sending from @ to pool/opt/vol1@snap1
estimated stream size: 10.1G

Monitor the stream size during transfer process:
# zfs send pool/opt@snap1 | pv | zfs recv tank/opt
8.58GB 0:02:37 [95.7MB/s]

This enhancement provides visibility into your ZFS send stream transfers so that you can
improve planning and scheduling of replication operations.

ZFS Performance Enhancements
Pool resilvering is faster in Oracle Solaris 11.2 Beta, with up to 40% improvement on
mirrored pools and 4x improvement on RAIDZ pools. Synchronous write transactions are now
committed in parallel to further optimize SSD log performance.

The resilver performance is big too. If you are using large disks, anything that can reduce your butt-clenching stress window during rebuild is a nice addition. Hope the illumos fork can figure out how they did it.

Kernel Zones that can migrate to bare metal and back on different hardware and different architectures is a big step forward as well. A DB admin can build an environment in a Kernel Zone before he PXE boots and Automated Installs it to 20 machines at a time.
Maybe they fixed the SSD bug too?

Sadly, they didn't fix the LSI2308 passthrough issue - You still need to use OmniOS drivers if you want to pass through those HBAs in ESXi.

All great improvements for sure, that I would like for the free alternatives to Solaris too. Since they're working on ZFS send, a few options would be great, like being able to stop and restart it (automatically if there is a network interruption).

How do you upgrade from solaris 11.1 to solaris 11.2 beta? What are commands you type? Anyone knows? Ive googled a bit, but could not find anythin

If it's anything like 11.1 they'll put it up a few days after (if) they make the downloads available. It will probably be a 'save old BE' > transitional BE > 11.2 BE sort of affair.

Still some minor problems on my X10SAT. The NIC does work now, it seems. Intel i217 and i210, that is. There are less problems now, but still some minor problems.

It seems that the L1ARC and L2ARC has been completely rewritten
http://wikibon.org/wiki/v/Oracle_ZS3_Storage_Appliances:_Tier-1_Performance_at_Tier-3_Prices

"The major software improvements have come from a complete rewrite of the L1 & L2 Adaptive Replacement Caches (L1ARC & L2ARC) to take advantage of the massive increase in cores available and increases in the overall parallelism of cache management. The in-memory de-duplication has been improved with the use of a higher-threaded SMP OS. Oracle claims that the cache miss rate of the overall 25TB cache (DRAM, Write-Flash, Read-Flash) on the ZS3-4 has been halved for the same workload, which effectively doubles the throughput of the caching subsystem. The result is much greater throughput, lower latencies and much lower variance. For database environments, variance is of great importance."

I hope they rewrite the dedupe engine in the future, so it competes with Tegile's ZFS superior dedupe engine.

Back