Solaris 11.1 and 11.2 issue

CopyRunStart

Limp Gawd
Installing Solaris on a box so I can create a 250 TB backup ZFS server. I'm booting from the Live CD and am stuck at "Probing for device nodes ...."

I have tried installing from CD and from IPMI Virtual Media, same issue.

The motherboard is compatible with Solaris 11.1 according to Supermicro.

Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRG-HF+II

I was going to post this in the OS section but I feel there are more Solaris related posts here in storage.

Installing Solaris on a box so I can create a 250 TB backup ZFS server. I'm booting from the Live CD and am stuck at "Probing for device nodes ...."

I have tried installing from CD and from IPMI Virtual Media, same issue.

The motherboard is compatible with Solaris 11.1 according to Supermicro.

Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRG-HF+II

I was going to post this in the OS section but I feel there are more Solaris related posts here in storage.

Try this, don't remember if I had the same exact issue but I did have problem installing 11.2

During install, select shell and run
mount -F lofs /bin/true /usr/lib/fwenum/system-bios
then exit and continue 1

By "select shell" do you mean select "Text Console" at the Grub Menu? Or should I enter the Grub command line and issue those commands?

jIIe5bzBu7lab.JPG

I can't get to shell. I selected "text console" but I never get to a shell. Just the same black screen hanging at "probing for device nodes".

I can't get to shell. I selected "text console" but I never get to a shell. Just the same black screen hanging at "probing for device nodes".

Not sure how to workaround the bug using GUI installer. You may try to install using the text installer and install desktop components afterwards if you really need it.

You try this yet?

"In the BIOS I had to disable Intel VT for Directed I/O (VT-d). If you read the 11.1 release notes, there is reference to this and how to fix it once the OS is installed. "

It was the very first google result and it will probably work.

If that doesn't work try disabling usb and onboard audio also, or other stuff in the bios you don't immediately need. Reinstalling the drivers later is no biggie, just a simple command line.

You try this yet?

"In the BIOS I had to disable Intel VT for Directed I/O (VT-d). If you read the 11.1 release notes, there is reference to this and how to fix it once the OS is installed. "

It was the very first google result and it will probably work.

If that doesn't work try disabling usb and onboard audio also, or other stuff in the bios you don't immediately need. Reinstalling the drivers later is no biggie, just a simple command line.

You were right, disabling VT-d got me past that error. The error I get now is WARNING: /pci@340/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/usb@0/hub@5 (hubd0): Connecting device on port 0 failed .

Which as you said, is a USB error. I'm not sure how I will be able to install if I disable USB though. I am connecting through KVM over IP using IPMI which uses a virtual USB KB/Mouse/DvdDrive. Ideas?

Back