Solar Pannels

my parents got a 10,000$ solar system installed on their roof. it saves them about 70-100$ a month in the summer, around 50$ in the winter. the whole system pays for itself in about 10 years, and is designed to last 20 years.
it would cost more to get a solar system just for your PC then vs just turning off a lightbulb.

SacLANd said:
my parents got a 10,000$ solar system installed on their roof. it saves them about 70-100$ a month in the summer, around 50$ in the winter. the whole system pays for itself in about 10 years, and is designed to last 20 years.

I hear that power in CA is extortionate, so I can see the benefit of a system like this. Any clue of what percent of their bill is being substituted for by solar power?

jpmkm said:
kilowatt: unit of current draw

Really? I thought it was unit to measure power.

jpmkm said:
something made up by mikeblas. the hours cancel out, leaving you with kilowatts, a unit of current draw.

Well, it's not really made up by me. Everyone who's ever done the same calculation has used that unit, whether they know it or not.

.B ekiM

omega-x said:
my PC and 19" monitor use 230 watts combined.
add in the light in my room and use about 300 watts.

thats 216 kw/hours.

Well, if you leave them all on at that load for 407.5 hours, sure.

.B ekiM

mikeblas said:
Really? I thought it was unit to measure power.
Yeah that's right. My mistake. kilowatthours per hour is still stupid, though. If you do the calculations correctly then the hours cancel out.

Back