SOHO Rack Mount Firewall Recommendation

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I need a recommendation on a 2 post rack mountable SOHO firewall appliance that can do ACL's, DHCP, and VLANS. GUI configurable.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Cisco RV340 I use in a rack at home, I've had it probably a couple years now. It's not sexy by forum standards, but it has a surprising amount of features and a simple GUI interface and it has been very reliable. I use it for ACLs, DHCP, and VLANS and it easily fits in a network rack. I have a Startech 6U. It's probably getting a little long in the tooth, but if your connection is below a gig it should be fine.

Budget? I'd say Palo Alto Networks. Having used both Fortinet and PAN, I wouldn't go anywhere near a FTNT device unless the price difference was substantial which tends to happen between the two in a bake off. Meraki is another option, it's kind of like the Apple of networking with the hardware aesthetics to match.

I see 2-3 IT shops a week and PAN seems to be the most prevalent nowadays whenever I visit a data center or office MDF.

Budget? I'd say Palo Alto Networks. Having used both Fortinet and PAN, I wouldn't go anywhere near a FTNT device unless the price difference was substantial which tends to happen between the two in a bake off. Meraki is another option, it's kind of like the Apple of networking with the hardware aesthetics to match.

I see 2-3 IT shops a week and PAN seems to be the most prevalent nowadays whenever I visit a data center or office MDF.
That's seems strange. We push PAN hard and still sell 3-5X more Fortinet. Of course the price/performance difference is substantial coupled with much better SDWAN integration on the Fortinet side. For the last year almost every deal has some element of sdwan in it.

It isn't mentioned often in these circles but Checkpoint is worth looking into as well. Their licensing can be tough to navigate but has made HUGE improvements especially on the so on the low end.

Last edited:

Budget is in the hundreds. I wouldn't mind spending 5-600 for something nice. Only will have around 8-10 users on it mostly web browsing but this is for a business that requires some traffic on a different VLAN that is completely separate internally. In the past I used the ISP's provided box to handle this but they just gave us a basic bridge so I need to have something apart from them that I could swap internet providers any time and keep business moving along.

Back