SOHO network problem (connecting routers and switches)

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, my network is as follows:
Internet --> Crappy 1 port router ------> Linksys BEFW11S4 -------------> Asus 5 port gb switch
----------------------192.168.1.1-----------(192.168.1.6) 192.168.1.254 |------> Asus 8 port switch --> Computers
----------------------255.255.255.0--------------255.255.255.0---------------------------------------------------------DHCP from linksys (starting at 192.168.1.100)

For some reason my computers cant "see" anything past the 8 port switch. (Nothing on the 5 port switch yet). However if I remove the linksys router and just use DHCP from crappy router it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks, Zxcs

Ah.

In that case...

How are the routers connected at the moment? (Crap router connects to what port on the linksys)

everything is connected by crossover (cept computers) and routers are in ports 1 and 2 in linksys (crappy router links into "internet" port on linksys)

Ok, given that, I'd suggest trying to seperate the subnets.

In other words, have the crappy router's LAN side be (for example), 192.168.2.1, and the Linksys's Internet side be 192.168.1.2 with the appropriate connection information (DNS and gateway). Then, have the Linksys's LAN side be something else, for example, 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP should give addresses in that range.

The reason I suggest this is that it sounds like a routing problem in the Linksys where both sides (LAN and Internet) are on the same subnet, so it's having difficulty routing between them.

Zxcs said:
Ok, my network is as follows:
Internet --> Crappy 1 port router ------> Linksys BEFW11S4 -------------> Asus 5 port gb switch
----------------------192.168.1.1-----------(192.168.1.6) 192.168.1.254 |------> Asus 8 port switch --> Computers
----------------------255.255.255.0--------------255.255.255.0---------------------------------------------------------DHCP from linksys (starting at 192.168.1.100)

For some reason my computers cant "see" anything past the 8 port switch. (Nothing on the 5 port switch yet). However if I remove the linksys router and just use DHCP from crappy router it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks, Zxcs

What about something simple:

Crappy Router into switch, Linksys into switch, and switch into switch. Everything else into the 8 port switch.

Turn off routing on the Linksys, just use it as a Wireless Access Point instead of a router.

Or looking at the manual, change the setup for the Linksys and enable PPPOE, if it doesn't have it look for a updated firmware. Because the manual says it will do PPPOE. (Page 14)

If you update the firmware make sure you write down your settings!

ianshot said:
What about something simple:

Crappy Router into switch, Linksys into switch, and switch into switch. Everything else into the 8 port switch.

Turn off routing on the Linksys, just use it as a Wireless Access Point instead of a router.

Or looking at the manual, change the setup for the Linksys and enable PPPOE, if it doesn't have it look for a updated firmware. Because the manual says it will do PPPOE. (Page 14)

If you update the firmware make sure you write down your settings!
I might just do that, as all this is getting on my nerves. It DOES PPPoE, but I need PPPoA
IceWind said:
How come im not seeing a cable or DSL modem in this topology?
No need for modem when ya got routers :p

Zxcs said:
I might just do that, as all this is getting on my nerves. It DOES PPPoE, but I need PPPoA

No need for modem when ya got routers :p

Thats assuming you got a router that can authenticate with your ISP, in which case, PPPoA is a big one and most SOHO routers cannot do it so I have to use my ISP's DSL modem to authenticate.

Maybe Ciscos can, but who can afford those for home use.

Zxcs said:

As my mother used to day, "It works better when you pay attention to what people are saying, ya dumbass."

Back