Software you first (always) install on fresh Windows 7 (or any) install

Software you first (always) install on fresh Windows 7 (or any) install:

Hmm, I don't see the pie chart button, but as a reference for myself and others since you guys are so helpful, what free programs for A/V, or anti-virus, or for checking system vitals to see if new OEM EQ needs to be RMA'd do you more experienced builders do immediately after installing Windows 7-- then chipset drivers, windows updates and expansion card drivers?. I'm gonna try to (remember to) D/L Memtest for my RAM once I build my PC. If one is not over-clocking off the bat, are there any other free programs to install off the bat primarily to check hardware fuctionality?

I try and stick to apps which cover all my needs in one particular area, for example:

VLC media player allows you to play pretty much every video format
7z allows you to uncompress almost any compression archive
Winamp will play almost any audio file/stream
Steam for most of my games.
Trillian will connect to all the popular IM networks

It saves installing lots of different pieces of software and keeps the system tidy and fast, If I installed something for every propitary format like Realplayer/Quicktime/WMP the computer would be a mess, so these applications are key.

Windows Updates
Drivers
MSE
Firefox + Some plugins
Winamp
Pidgin
Steam
VLC Player
Open Office
Some codec pack (K-Lite or CCCP)
Developer Tools

I also use vlc + k-lite. no idea on the codecs, but the combination seems to work better.

Software you first (always) install on fresh Windows 7 (or any) install:

Hmm, I don't see the pie chart button, but as a reference for myself and others since you guys are so helpful, what free programs for A/V, or anti-virus, or for checking system vitals to see if new OEM EQ needs to be RMA'd do you more experienced builders do immediately after installing Windows 7-- then chipset drivers, windows updates and expansion card drivers?. I'm gonna try to (remember to) D/L Memtest for my RAM once I build my PC. If one is not over-clocking off the bat, are there any other free programs to install off the bat primarily to check hardware fuctionality?

The programs I install first are antivirus, CCleaner, Auslogics, WinRar, drivers, FRAPS, CoreTemp, GPUZ and CPUZ.

MSE
Opera
Drivers
RadeonPro
Steam
7-Zip
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
CCleaner
Foobar
Open Hardware Monitor
Universe Sandbox(Love it so much I even bought a licenses)

I keep the latest version of each piece of software on a thumb drive for easy access.

Back