Software to measure frame rate every 1/10 of a second?

niconx

2[H]4U
Is there a program that will do this? As far as I can tell FRAPS only queries once a second. I want a program that queries at least every 1/10 of second.

I am trying to illustrate the stutter that Black Ops is experiencing. An average of 60fps isn't playable if the first half of a second you get 0fps and the other half of the second you get 120fps. It numerically averages to 60fps but you still have a frozen screen for half a second at a time which makes it unplayable if it keeps happening. It's a matter of smoothness.

Of course the stutter is a little more complicated than that so it would be helpful to visualize frame rate numbers on at least a 1/10 second scale. A 1/60 second scale would be even better. So anyone know software that will do this?

Use Fraps's benchmarking feature and set the Frametimes setting to active?

It's also possible to disable the "Only update overlay once a second" thingy.

If you have the time you should try windows xp. It increased my frame rate and got rid of most of the stutter compared to windows 7.

Use Fraps's benchmarking feature and set the Frametimes setting to active?

It's also possible to disable the "Only update overlay once a second" thingy.

That is an option but to convert to 1/10 or 1/60 scale I would need to write a spreadsheet script to give me the numbers I need.

If you have the time you should try windows xp. It increased my frame rate and got rid of most of the stutter compared to windows 7.

I have used XP and it does work correctly in XP but dual booting and restarting all the time is disruptive to the other things I do on the computer. This is more to explain to Activision support and the doubting community because they don't seem to understand the nature of the problem.

So as far as 1/10 fps you mean something like 23.45 or 23.452 Fraps does this, but the setting as someone pointed out on Overlay needs to be turned off. Oh I just noticed the chipset and video card you are using. The Intel P35 chipset with 460GTX has had it's problems not working as well together, this might be fixed now with a driver update, but just be aware. You can find countless posts about this on not only this forum but several forums, it's a known problem that Nvidia has had with the 400 series. I have no idea if the problem still exists with 500 series Nvidia video cards.

That is an option but to convert to 1/10 or 1/60 scale I would need to write a spreadsheet script to give me the numbers I need.

Hmm? This is what I got from benchmarking BlackOps using Frametime setting. This shows the first ten frames:
Code:
Frame, Time (ms)
    1,     0.000
    2,     8.626
    3,    18.281
    4,    27.606
    5,    36.430
    6,    45.099
    7,    54.453
    8,    62.816
    9,    71.654
   10,    80.531...
As you can see, the regular time between frames is something like 9ms. So if there's any major problems, it should show up as a discrepancy in the time between each frame.

Is there a program that will do this? As far as I can tell FRAPS only queries once a second. I want a program that queries at least every 1/10 of second.

I am trying to illustrate the stutter that Black Ops is experiencing. An average of 60fps isn't playable if the first half of a second you get 0fps and the other half of the second you get 120fps. It numerically averages to 60fps but you still have a frozen screen for half a second at a time which makes it unplayable if it keeps happening. It's a matter of smoothness.

Of course the stutter is a little more complicated than that so it would be helpful to visualize frame rate numbers on at least a 1/10 second scale. A 1/60 second scale would be even better. So anyone know software that will do this?

Despite the fact that it actually hitches on both AMD and NVIDIA harware because of how their drivers have to compile shaders for image correctness, there's a workaround coming in an NVIDIA driver for this.

Given the way the game is doing things, the driver works as it must for compiling shaders (the source of the hitching you're referring to). But NVIDIA has a workaround in the driver coming to resolve this.

By the way by restricting yourself to looking at a resolution of every 1/10 second, you're actually applying an averaging to the results. The best results are the raw, granular results. They should show the same thing you intend to show. You'll see huge ass spikes in frametime for some frames/groups of frames.

I wrote a php script for this purpose. The following is a 30 second dump from Quake2, rendering at 250fps:

I cba making it secure enough to host online, so anyone interested in results just upload your csv somewhere and msg me.

Back