Software to highlight differences in txt files

SCiFiRE

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Guys,
Im trying to find some software to help me out chasing the differences in some config files.

The files themselves are configs for a motor controller, they basically consist of lots of this:
Code:
MISPEED=2
AXIS=2 0 0
XVAR1=1
XVAR2=1
XVAR2=3

...etc...etc...

some files have more variables than others, some have all the same. I need something that will compare two and show me whats different about them (rather than manually swimming through lines of variables...)

anyone know of something simple that can help me out?

If the values of the two files are in the same order, fc /c /n /w file1 file2 from the command prompt will work. It will highlight what's missing from either file and/or show the differences.

I use Notepad++ for a lot of text editing and there is a pretty good file comparer in it.

vim -d file1 file2

Displays both files in a vertical split and highlights differences. Large sections of common text are collapsed.

vim -d file1 file2

Displays both files in a vertical split and highlights differences. Large sections of common text are collapsed.

Now that is useful as it doesn't take any extra software. vim surprises me all the time...

I'm going to have to shout for Notepad++ , it just has a lot of features that will be useful besides the comparing which you need

yeah, its pretty sweet how linux includes all the standard utilities out of the box rather than requiring tons of third party apps, eh :D

Now that is useful as it doesn't take any extra software. vim surprises me all the time...

I'm gonna throw in a vote for BeyondCompare. I started using BC back in 2000 and I've said it is one of the greatest handy dandy utilities for Windows.

I was going to jump on the boat and throw out the "it's called Linux" joke, then someone had to ruin it for me and talk about fc. I didn't know about fc :(

Back