Software that will help install generic programs for my work

Tygerwoody

Gawd
At my work i am the main network technician, so i am the one who sets up every computer (we have over a thousand) every week i have to do at least 10 machines. After i install Windows XP and windows updates I have an assortment of programs to install. Anyone know of a way i can install these programs faster?

I install:
Drivers for about 6 different flavors of machines
NSM
Winzip
Adobe Reader
Voloview
Vscan 8.0
MS Office 2003
a few other misc programs
as well as update files for all of them

Anyone know of a way i can have these installs done faster? (no i cannot set up a server, no i cannot use MSI files, no i cannot ghost)
Anything would help.

Also i have to change permissions, any way i can do that quickly? (like give a certain folder full previleges to everyone) I'm thinking i can use a script, but i dont know the command

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Tygerwoody said:
(no i cannot set up a server, no i cannot use MSI files, no i cannot ghost)
Anything would help.

Also i have to change permissions, any way i can do that quickly? (like give a certain folder full previleges to everyone) I'm thinking i can use a script, but i dont know the command

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Why can't you use these methods?

Boss says i can't. Rediculous i know. It limits my options alot, but I'm sure there has got to be something i can do

Tygerwoody said:
Boss says i can't. Rediculous i know. It limits my options alot, but I'm sure there has got to be something i can do

You already eliminated your best options, or at least your boss did.

just for kicks, what did you guys have in mind? assuming i don't have limitations. Maybe i can somehow convince my boss into something(without the use of any active directory functions)

Lots of options. Ghost images and Sysprep or MSI packages on a server are your best options.

Tygerwoody said:
just for kicks, what did you guys have in mind? assuming i don't have limitations. Maybe i can somehow convince my boss into something(without the use of any active directory functions)

Are you guys not using AD for anything?
What kind of server OS are currently used?
Why are you needing to reinstall these workstations on a regular basis?

it is a company of over a 1000 computers.... including upgraded computers, virus's , random problems... its alot

We have active directory, but i am not allowed to use it. The reason i wont use MSI files , is we have had errors happen constantly when trying to use it. In a corporation, Ghost is extremely stupid to use, it works 2/3's of the time, but EVERY computer must be perfect when it goes out.(I actually agree with my boss on the msi and ghost part, those are junk) We have like 7 different flavors of computers, which are different drivers for each. new and old. They have different programs.

So again, anything someone can recommend me?

GHOST works 100% of the time if everything is done properly. I manage an organization that supports 20,000 workstations across North America, and each and every one was imaged with Ghost. Do a google on Sysprep...

Of course, we also have LDMS to do package installs, but even without that we could do almost the same with properly setup MSI files.

Tygerwoody said:
it is a company of over a 1000 computers.... including upgraded computers, virus's , random problems... its alot

We have active directory, but i am not allowed to use it. The reason i wont use MSI files , is we have had errors happen constantly when trying to use it. In a corporation, Ghost is extremely stupid to use, it works 2/3's of the time, but EVERY computer must be perfect when it goes out.(I actually agree with my boss on the msi and ghost part, those are junk) We have like 7 different flavors of computers, which are different drivers for each. new and old. They have different programs.

So again, anything someone can recommend me?

It's apparent neither your boss or you are setting things up properly with MSIs or Ghosting as the majority that use both methods in corporations are very sucessful.

Virus's should not be a problem with the proper software and configurations.

Definitely not much more I can offer for advice other than you may want to consider taking a closer look at your problems and *solve* them rather than putting out "fires" all the time.

SJConsultant said:
It's apparent neither your boss or you are setting things up properly with MSIs or Ghosting as the majority that use both methods in corporations are very sucessful.

Virus's should not be a problem with the proper software and configurations.

Definitely not much more I can offer for advice other than you may want to consider taking a closer look at your problems and *solve* them rather than putting out "fires" all the time.
i understand you completely. My boss is a 65 year old man who started off knowing jack about computers, just how to manage. He will not listen to anything i say, it seems like he'd rather put out fires. But yes, MSI files and Ghosting do have their faults. What is the best way to "ghost" if it is so worth while

Back