Software Predicts Crime Using Social Media

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Researchers from RMIT University in Australia used data from social media platforms to predict crimes more accurately than existing models. The researchers used check-in data from Foursquare to generate a model of where potential victims will be, and then looked for areas where that routine intersects with known criminal activity. They say this data can be used to optimize police patrols dynamically, as opposed to using static, traditional models. The researchers also note that the results are remarkable, given the limited amount of data they used, and that there's more potential for prediction. The full research paper is available for free.

"Current state-of-the-art crime prediction models generally rely on relative static features including long-term historical information, geographical information and demographic information. This information changes slowly over time, meaning these traditional models couldn't capture the short-term variations in crime event occurrences," Rumi says. "Our test results demonstrate the improvement of prediction performance after adding dynamic features is considerable and statistically significant. That really is revolutionary." The group is now planning to extend the work by training the algorithms using data from one city and increasing its ability to apply those learnings in a different city where patterns are different.

It's once these social media companies start getting subpoenaed for non specific user data that will scare me

it's just canvassing and profiling by race and community. ( but you cannot say that anymore. )

hah , now i can imagine police department using the AI recommended it , rationalization in the near future

Last edited:
Been there, done that: this is the entire premise of the TV show "Person of Interest" with an A.I. programmed by a Human to pick up on all this sort of stuff and help stop the bad things from happening. If this isn't a situation or case where science fiction and stories are clearly providing us with a template of what's to come then people just ain't payin' attention (but that's always the case anyway 'cause Humans are fuckin' stupid). :D

Been there, done that: this is the entire premise of the TV show "Person of Interest" with an A.I. programmed by a Human to pick up on all this sort of stuff and help stop the bad things from happening. If this isn't a situation or case where science fiction and stories are clearly providing us with a template of what's to come then people just ain't payin' attention (but that's always the case anyway 'cause Humans are fuckin' stupid). :D

lol was just going to say "and people thought Person of Interest was fake" :p still pissed that show got cancelled.

I am picturing the color map for crime in sim city

already exists.. some house selling site uses something like that. can't remember which one it is though.

Ohh..a new season of Person of Interest.....I love it. Can't wait!!!

Back