Software for video editing

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I need a video editing program that won't recompress video.

yup its actually the one I tried first.

Thing is that I'm cutting some scenes from a video and when I finish and save the video, parts of the scenes I've already cut are on the one I save.

It happens in virtual dub and all its derivatives, like nandub, etc.

So cut off an extra frame or two at the beginning and end of the clip you're trying to save. When you save with VirtualDub or its derivatives, you want to save as Direct Stream copy (the option is under Video and Audio accordingly). This keeps the original format of the file (whichever compression format it was using) and literally just "snips" out the part you define in the selection.

One issue: VirtualDub can't do MPEG stuff, it really is designed to work with AVI format stuff (yes it's a container format, that's a given), so if the file is MPEG1/2 (requires one of the mods to handle MPEG2 content), it won't snip/save as that format, it'll need to use a DirectShow compression filter like DivX, XviD, etc. But if you're already editing DivX/XviD/etc format in AVI containers, this is all a non-issue. VirtualDub can do snips/edits on MPEG1/2 stuff, it just can't save to that format - there's a plugin I think to use BBMPEG of FFMPEG somewhere out there iirc.

If you end up with one or two frames at the beginning or end you don't want, simply move to the frame(s) you want, press the Delete key and they're gone, then save again with Direct Stream copy enabled for Video/Audio.

Been using VirtualDub for nearly a decade myself, and I swear, even now so many years later, considering it fits on a floppy (1.04MB total installation size), it is mind-blowing how much stuff this application can do and is capable of.

Is there an application that does just that (basic snipping of a file) that works with Matroska files? I've tried VirtualDubMod but I still can't get it to work.

So cut off an extra frame or two at the beginning and end of the clip you're trying to save. When you save with VirtualDub or its derivatives, you want to save as Direct Stream copy (the option is under Video and Audio accordingly). This keeps the original format of the file (whichever compression format it was using) and literally just "snips" out the part you define in the selection.

One issue: VirtualDub can't do MPEG stuff, it really is designed to work with AVI format stuff (yes it's a container format, that's a given), so if the file is MPEG1/2 (requires one of the mods to handle MPEG2 content), it won't snip/save as that format, it'll need to use a DirectShow compression filter like DivX, XviD, etc. But if you're already editing DivX/XviD/etc format in AVI containers, this is all a non-issue. VirtualDub can do snips/edits on MPEG1/2 stuff, it just can't save to that format - there's a plugin I think to use BBMPEG of FFMPEG somewhere out there iirc.

If you end up with one or two frames at the beginning or end you don't want, simply move to the frame(s) you want, press the Delete key and they're gone, then save again with Direct Stream copy enabled for Video/Audio.

Been using VirtualDub for nearly a decade myself, and I swear, even now so many years later, considering it fits on a floppy (1.04MB total installation size), it is mind-blowing how much stuff this application can do and is capable of.

I've also been using Virtualdub for a long time, v1.2 or 1.3 was my first iirc, over the years I experienced the problems I mentioned whenever I tried a new version.

Anyway, AVI Trimmer got the job done, latter I found out that v1.7.8 also worked without problems, I was using V1.8 before.

Back