Software Engr. laptop

Majeztik12

Limp Gawd
Hello. I am looking for a laptop recommendation for a friend of mine. I am a desktop user and have limited knowledge of laptops. What he is wanting is a 17" or more LCD. Intel i7 processor. 16 gigs of memory (no less). As far as a GPU I do not know if it is required for software engineering or not. He was looking at a $2500 Alienware, and I told him there might be a less expensive solution out there. He definitely wants a lighted keyboard to! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Note: I do not know what type of software he is going to be wanting to develop. I will find out at work this evening and post a update early Friday A.M. !

Have you tried Sager? They have some meaty laptops that will probably come back cheaper than the Alienware for equivalent specs. They're a Clevo rebrander.

If he can get away from the 17" display, a Thinkpad is always a good option. The display is probably only 1080p on most of the 17" laptops out there, and you can get that many pixels in a 15" display.

The W520 with 16GB and a i7-2720QM runs $1800 from Lenovo. Alternatively, if he doesn't mind buying used, I'll sell him my W510 with 16GB and an extra slab battery and a 60GB ssd for $1500 :)

Back