softmodding 9800pro to 9800XT questions

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
sorry, i tried a few searches and came up empty, so please forgive me if this has come up before =/

i know that you can flash the bios of a 9800 pro with that of a 9800 XT, but im not sure what complications can arise with this

i have a 128mb 9800 pro, and the 9800xt bios is set for 256mb
will that cause a probem?

and will there be any other complications if i attempt this?

lastly, does this method only work with some cards, and if so, how would i identify if mine is capable?

my card is a Visiontek Xtasy 9800 pro 128mb(if that helps at all)

thank you in advanced

OC to XT speeds and see if it stable. Then you can flash to XT. A lot of people have done it...but I'm not sure having only 128MB memory will do after the flash.

alright thank you :)

i got atitool to test the card and the bios to flash with if i can

so no wall i gotta do is runt he test

doh!
i get artifacting when running at 412mhz/365mhz setup with the stock fan

will it stop artifacting if i buy a vga cooler? or is it a hopeless cause?

What are the specs on the RAM? My guess is that it will be your limiting factor. You can test this by backing down on the RAM OC, while keeping the core speed up.

Upgrading to a better cooler MAY help the RAM OC better in theory, because if the GPU is cooler, then the PCB won't get as hot, which in turn means that the RAM may be cooler and OC better. Don't expect too much though.

Mr.Pig said:
What are the specs on the RAM? My guess is that it will be your limiting factor. You can test this by backing down on the RAM OC, while keeping the core speed up.

Upgrading to a better cooler MAY help the RAM OC better in theory, because if the GPU is cooler, then the PCB won't get as hot, which in turn means that the RAM may be cooler and OC better. Don't expect too much though.

it only happens with the GPU clock set higher, so i need to upgrade my cooling

thx all, ill prolly buy the arctic vga cooler since that thing is really cheap

Back