SoF3 Payback

[Retaliation]

Limp Gawd
Is it me? I bought this game being a fan of the series,took me all of 5 hrs to complete,now I cant help but feel like i was bent over a table and took it dry.
MY GOD this game is bad,I was really shocked that they took such a great series (Dbl Helix was some fun times),and ruined it
What are your thoughts?

there is like a giant revolt about this game. the sof community is trying to contact raven, per sofpayback forums. yes, its terrible, and yes it breaks the heart. :(

Oh wow.. I was really worried about this title, and now it seems my worst fear has come true... I was so hoping for another gory SOF game that was at least decent. :(

My friend who has it says that single player isnt so bad, its playable. But ALOT of functions are missing inc

- No ingame graphics options, except gore (on/off) and screen res
- No chat in multiplayer (WTF were they thinking)
- No CD key for multiplayer, because of this reinstalling the game/changing ip will get you around any enforced ban, great news for cheaters as there is no way to stop them.
- No Anticheat for multiplayer
- No way of having multimap servers, you have to go back and restart the server to change the map

By the time these issues get addressed, it will be much too late for the MP community, who will have already forgotten about this game and likewise there will be no servers up. Such a sad state of affairs, it truly looks like its a console port and no time was even taken by the guys who were developing it, to even add basic MP functionality. All 5 of the items above SHOULD have been in the PC version before it even shipped.

SOF2 was such a great hit. I just came back from playing the first mission and it was painfull.. uhhg this game is terrible. I feels like a bad arcade shooter with improved graphics. Really disappointed I don't see how it could be the same developers as sof2, unless they really rushed this title.

The movements seem very fake and floatish, there is a unnatural feel. Playing this and then cod4 you see the difference. Cod4 I think is the best fps out there right now, sf3 isn't in the same league.

I figured this is how the game would turn out, almost no mention of it until a bit before launch. if it was the killer game that was hoped, the hype machine would have been at work long before it was.

This game was made by cauldron, Raven had no hand in it...that is why ist sucks so bad.....

Why do developers even release games when its pretty evident that its going to blow. I mean, even COD4 was hyped and that was COD1 with different skins.

- No CD key for multiplayer, because of this reinstalling the game/changing ip will get you around any enforced ban, great news for cheaters as there is no way to stop them.
- No way of having multimap servers, you have to go back and restart the server to change the map

holy half-assed MP, thx for the info i'll stay clear of this one

Well, if I'm not mistaken, this game was suppose to be a budget title, until someone decided to make it into a proper title... guess they couldn't save it..

Sucks. I think thier intent was on just milking the fans...

It's a shame. SOF2 MP was so much fun!!!! Better than many multiplayer FPS's that are out there now.

This game is freakin horrible! bought it the other day, played the first level, or should i say Tried to play the first level. Cant even finish the level because theres no way of blowing up the concrete barriers.:confused:

Multiplayer SUCKS
No options

Defiantly a budget title, good thing i got a discount on it.

You blow the concrete barriers up with C4, theres a red outline where you need to place it.

Give the game some more time, I just beat it.

damn it I had been hoping for a good SOF3 for years, as I loved SOF2.

in fact I still play SOF2 more than probably any other game.

Soldier of Fortune 3 Payback is a pile of shit. End of story. It's buggy, it's got shitty graphics, badly done physics, and gore, and basically it's not worth the money I spent on it. Basically I would have been dissappointed if this had been sold as a $19.99 title.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, this game was suppose to be a budget title, until someone decided to make it into a proper title... guess they couldn't save it..

That's definitely what happened from the look of things.

This game is freakin horrible! bought it the other day, played the first level, or should i say Tried to play the first level. Cant even finish the level because theres no way of blowing up the concrete barriers.:confused:

Multiplayer SUCKS
No options

Defiantly a budget title, good thing i got a discount on it.

Well you played it more than I did. The first few minutes of gameplay told me that the game was shit.

Sucks. I think thier intent was on just milking the fans...

It's a shame. SOF2 MP was so much fun!!!! Better than many multiplayer FPS's that are out there now.

That's what it seems like. The game is horrible at best. There is no other way to put it. As for the multiplayer comments, I agree completely.

You blow the concrete barriers up with C4, theres a red outline where you need to place it.

Give the game some more time, I just beat it.

Give it more time? I don't know about you but it doesn't usually take very long before I figure out if I'll like a game or not. 15 minutes is more than enough time to decide that.

Well this is SOF, I was expecting corridor style shooting and some great corpse mutilation which is what the series has been all about, and it does that as well as improve on alot of aspects of the original games. The graphics are beautiful I don't see how anyone can fault the game there, and the gore is equivalent to the first game but with some excellent death animations that transition to ragdoll well. However I agree that it has a lackluster presentation and atrocious voice acting give a bad impression, and no options to tweak the graphic settings, and a lack of CD key is unacceptable for a PC game. Someone also mentioned the physics, it uses Havok, so if you're going to fault the physics engine you should also note that TES 4, Max payne 2...etc use the same physics, hardly 'badly done', especially where you are blowing peoples limbs into the sky and watching their bloody husks slide down a mountainside, it's probably the best use of physics for gore that I have seen in a game.

But In my opinion it's average and thats pretty much the general consensus from the reviews as well, I just think people are over-reacting and jumping the shit slinging bandwagon here. The game is not as bad as some people are saying...

Well this is SOF, I was expecting corridor style shooting and some great corpse mutilation which is what the series has been all about, and it does that as well as improve on alot of aspects of the original games.

No. The corpse mutiliation in this game that you speak so highly of isn't accurate at all and is really quite terrible. Instead it would be fair to say that psuedo realistic gore is one of the series hallmarks that this game does badly. I chunky salsa'ed a guy with a G36 which fires 5.56x45mm rounds. A three round burst or so will NOT chunky salsa a body or do anything resembling that. The gore was always a bit more believable in the earlier games. This piece of crap just gibs UT style.

The graphics are beautiful I don't see how anyone can fault the game there, and the gore is equivalent to the first game but with some excellent death animations that transition to ragdoll well.

Again I have to disagree. The game looks like shit. Farcry, UT2004, Hitman Contracts, Doom 3, Quake 4, Half-Life 2, HL2 Episode 1, 2, and just about any other game in recent memory over the last three YEARS looks better than this turkey turd.

However I agree that it has a lackluster presentation and atrocious voice acting give a bad impression, and no options to tweak the graphic settings, and a lack of CD key is unacceptable for a PC game.

The presentation is as lackluster as the game itself. The voice acting is bad but that's to be expected. The rest of the series wasn't exactly Emmy Award winning in this area either. As for the CD key, who cares? Do you like typing those in? I don't.

Someone also mentioned the physics, it uses Havok, so if you're going to fault the physics engine you should also note that TES 4, Max payne 2...etc use the same physics, hardly 'badly done', especially where you are blowing peoples limbs into the sky and watching their bloody husks slide down a mountainside, it's probably the best use of physics for gore that I have seen in a game.

It may use the Havok physics engine but that's not perfect either. My experience with the game may be limited, but it hardly felt realistic in any way. As for the gore, as I said before, this is about as close to reality as UT2004.

But In my opinion it's average and thats pretty much the general consensus from the reviews as well, I just think people are over-reacting and jumping the shit slinging bandwagon here. The game is not as bad as some people are saying...

No this game is pretty bad. It's one of the worst I've played in years. The first two games were VASTLY superior to this heap of shit. We should expect more because with games like UT3, Crysis, and Call of Duty 4, we shouldn't have to accept this. The SOF franchise deserved better than this. They should have left the franchise to go down in obscurity like so many other great game series' have rather than soil the name by creating this wretched abortion of a program.

I like to think of it as SoF:pMMMB,

Soldier of Fortune: Pay me my Money Back!

No. The corpse mutiliation in this game that you speak so highly of isn't accurate at all and is really quite terrible. Instead it would be fair to say that psuedo realistic gore is one of the series hallmarks that this game does badly. I chunky salsa'ed a guy with a G36 which fires 5.56x45mm rounds. A three round burst or so will NOT chunky salsa a body or do anything resembling that. The gore was always a bit more believable in the earlier games. This piece of crap just gibs UT style.

I didn't praise it's accuracy or realism, I said it was fun! There are actually plenty of hit points on each limb which is just as "accurate" as the first game.

Again I have to disagree. The game looks like shit. Farcry, UT2004, Hitman Contracts, Doom 3, Quake 4, Half-Life 2, HL2 Episode 1, 2, and just about any other game in recent memory over the last three YEARS looks better than this turkey turd.

None of those games, with the exception of ep 2 have the kind of lighting & motion blurring effects that this game is, it also has much better HDR than most of those games (aside from far cry) and it's easily the best looking SOF game.

The presentation is as lackluster as the game itself. The voice acting is bad but that's to be expected. The rest of the series wasn't exactly Emmy Award winning in this area either. As for the CD key, who cares? Do you like typing those in? I don't.

The voice acting in the other 2 games was better if only for John Mullins, total badass. As for the CD key, It matters if there is going to be any kind of multiplayer community, that coupled with the fact that there is no PB support and it's safe to say they definitely blew it. The SOF 2 multiplayer community was pretty strong and I think they should have focused on the PC version of the game more than just making it a straight port from the 360.

No this game is pretty bad. It's one of the worst I've played in years. The first two games were VASTLY superior to this heap of shit. We should expect more because with games like UT3, Crysis, and Call of Duty 4, we shouldn't have to accept this. The SOF franchise deserved better than this. They should have left the franchise to go down in obscurity like so many other great game series' have rather than soil the name by creating this wretched abortion of a program.

I have to question how much of this game you've actually played. I agree the other games were better, the violence felt more gritty than in this game, and they both had longer beefier SP campaigns, not to mention the MP in SOF 2 was great and had a lively community to back it. My opinion still stands, this game is not that bad!

i liked the multi in SOF2 , but single player felt really crappy i gave up after a couple missions, the guns felt like crap, like random cone of fire crap. Even though some of the guns in SOF felt like that, i enjoyed that game much more. I wonder if its all the developers fault, sometimes the publishers push them so hard, they have to ship what they have or not ship at all, and for some of the companies that can break them, not that shipping a bad game wont hurt either, but they were prolly hoping the name and console versions sold well to make up for any damage done. Ill play the demo if it ever gets one, but i dont think ill buy this game.

I have to question how much of this game you've actually played. I agree the other games were better, the violence felt more gritty than in this game, and they both had longer beefier SP campaigns, not to mention the MP in SOF 2 was great and had a lively community to back it. My opinion still stands, this game is not that bad!

I haven't played more than about 15 minutes of this game. I've said as much already. The problem is the damn thing won't even stay running for longer than that without hard locking the PC.

I was thinking of getting this game, but not now for obvious reasons....I guess I saved myself some moolah.

I took a look at the box when I was last at Best Buy, and my heart leaped! A new SOF??

...then I looked at the back of the box, and got a baaad feeling in my gut.

Seems my gut feeling was right. :(

I took a look at the box when I was last at Best Buy, and my heart leaped! A new SOF??

...then I looked at the back of the box, and got a baaad feeling in my gut.

Seems my gut feeling was right. :(

Graphically speaking, good texturing and lighting are foreign to this piece of shit among other failings.

Alright, alright we know how bad the game is. Now we just want creative screenshots.

It's nugget time.

Alright, alright we know how bad the game is. Now we just want creative screenshots.

It's nugget time.

If I could get the game to run stable for more than 10 minutes and NOT hard-lock my machine I would certainly grab some screenshots and post them.

I played through a friend's copy on the Xbox 360 and I have two conclusions: it shouldn't have the name 'Soldier of Fortune', and it is in no way worth its price. That said, I can't help but feel that it would make a decent time killer for $10-15. The fact that this was released at $60 is absolutely shocking!

Agreed this is NOT a $60 dollar game. Is that for the 360? I thought it was $39 on PC? Wow....

WOW, just WOW. :eek:
I am speechless on this list, that is systems requirments 101 type stuff.

Wait, was this game SUPPOSED to be anything other than a desperate last-minute milking of the series? Must've missed that memo.

Not to sound harsh, but somehow I could tell the second I heard of the game that it was going to disappoint. It looks to me like a dishonest way for them to make money off SOF fans.

Back