SOE making a new SWG like mmo? (Not everquest next/landmark).

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey4zhx

SWG. I would do everything differently.

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now.

He is not talking about Everquest landmark (the minecraft like mmo coming to alpha soon) or everquest next.

Perhaps they learned from their mistakes with SWG and what players loved about it (the freedom, crafting/resources, non-instanced housing, etc).

Fuck, I wish they would just let that shithole MMO go.

Beancounters: Lazy as fuck devs are you ready to release SWG?
Lazy as fuck devs: Shit, not really we forgot to put in a bunch of stuff
Smartass Intern: Lets just call it a sandbox world
Lazy as fuck devs: bah they'll never go for that
Beancounters: you're out of time so roll with it

You do know that SWG is gone already right?

It did some thing sgood (freedom, crafting/resource management, non-instanced housing, etc) but other things badly (randomly generated worlds which made exploring not that interesting).

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's a company that tries to latch on to anything that will make money and fails at all of it. I mean they just shut down/sold off another 4 games. Another thing in that AMA was asked about LoN (their card game) and he was like well Hearthstone is doing so well maybe we'll work on it.

They're just chasing money, they don't care about good games.

You do know that SWG is gone already right?
really? I had no idea :rolleyes:

Just get sick of SoE thinking it was some paragon of MMOs and continually stringing people along with some amazing revision of a SW mmo.

It did some thing sgood (freedom, crafting/resource management, non-instanced housing, etc) but other things badly (randomly generated worlds which made exploring not that interesting).

Other things badly:
combat
pvp
exploring
leveling
story
questing
jedis
space combat

well literally everything but crafting and housing. The game was complete shit unless you liked dancing in a cantina and getting someone's wookie off. That is just my opinion so take it for what it is or isn't worth. I don't play games to decorate houses or craft shit, I know others do, but I want my MMOs to be deeper than that.

Just saw this and I can't wait to see what it is.

SWG stole my heart 10 years ago and I've been waiting ever since the NGE fucked the game up.

I'm willing to see what SoE has, and if it's anything close to the olden days of SWG I'll be there.

SWG was the best, most innovative and immersive mmo of its kind until it was destroyed by SOE. I am not sure how they can re make it, but I will be keeping an eye out.

very skeptical about anything coming out of SOE, dont even know what the IP is yet

I am excite.

Seriously though, if they don't muck the game up with pointless 'enhancements', and just fix what they had with pre-cu, I will gladly come back and give them my 15 dollars a month. SWG is the most fun I've had playing an MMO outside of maybe a few moments in WoW when we were trying for server firsts.

Yeah, no... John Smedley fouled up SWG like an idiot and is just now crawling back after all this time with this load of crap? Where the hell was he when the thousands of people protested the CU, NGE, etc? SWG's demise was because that greedy ass-clown wanted to rip off WoW and try to cash in on their player base a bit. SOE Could've had fine MMO on their table...

At any rate, SWG-EMU already has the original game in all of its glory (more or less) and anyone can play that for free; I wish someone would kick Smedley in the dick.

The problem was that while it had fans (and I enjoyed it) the game itself was losing money/subscribers, to WoW and other games.

They had to try and do something to get more people/retain subscribers.

Was the CU the right thing to do? Probably not.

It made many of the same mistakes that SW:TOR ended up making (no space combat at launch, or on-rails crap no one wanted/liked).

every single thing soe has made, has been complete shit. Why anyone plays their games is beyond comprehension.

But I'm still probably going to try the new everquest, guess I'm a masochist

Well brad had a lot to do with the original swg, I don't think much will be the same seeing as a lot of the big think tanks are no longer working there and the good ones they still have are working on eq next.

SOE does have a pretty good history with games, even supporting games that no longer bring in cash. But since they are hurting for funding, most of those just got dumped.

Well brad had a lot to do with the original swg, I don't think much will be the same seeing as a lot of the big think tanks are no longer working there and the good ones they still have are working on eq next.

SOE does have a pretty good history with games, even supporting games that no longer bring in cash. But since they are hurting for funding, most of those just got dumped.

It was Raph Koster.

It won't be SW MMO - EA has all the rights for SW license for gaming, bought from Disney

One of the things I loved about SWG - which might seem unfair to some - was that there were actually a few specialized crafters for weapons and armor craft. It wasn't like everyone could produce the same quality items - you had to have rare drops for the 'chance' to make a really special weapon/armor piece. It was so long ago so I might be wrong LoL - but I can't remember if you could get the same high quality items from quests/dungeons/etc.

crafting and resources was the best part of SWG, i loved the hunt looking for good places to drop my extractors

Other things badly:
combat
pvp
exploring
leveling
story
questing
jedis
space combat

Suit yourself. I enjoyed the combat, loved the leveling, story was great (in that there pretty much wasn't one; the game gave you tools for creating your own content). Space combat was a blast, I spent about 2/3 my playtime there. I'll spot you that pvp, exploring, questing, jedi could use some work.

One of the things I loved about SWG - which might seem unfair to some - was that there were actually a few specialized crafters for weapons and armor craft. It wasn't like everyone could produce the same quality items - you had to have rare drops for the 'chance' to make a really special weapon/armor piece. It was so long ago so I might be wrong LoL - but I can't remember if you could get the same high quality items from quests/dungeons/etc.

I thought "Hunting" and "Questing" were the best parts. The quest's although somewhat repetitive, was immersive for me because I loved SW. At the same time, when I landed on Tattoine and saw imperial soldiers there and could not engage my Jedi without being attacked by the whole area, made totally sense to me and was intuitive because I am so familiar with the Star Wars lore, although everyone in the world knows about Rebel/Empire issue.
On top of all that, sitting in a cantina in Tattoine, have a couple friends show up, form a group and going Rancor hunting on Dantoine was exceptionally fun as well.

A game like WoW could never capture that since the story and lore behind it is very weak , things like Taurens and panda's don't add up. Sure Orc, Human, Elf, Goblin...ok I can understand that but the late game and most of the enemies made no sense to me, neither perked my interest to drive further in to the forest to explore. What am I going to find?...On Dantoine, if I go through the caves in one piece I maybe able to find a crystal for my lightsaber.... far more cooler than a +2 axe that my character cannot use anyways. Which is another issue. In SWG things were location related. Jedi's would go to Dantoine for Jedi gear and rare minerals and stuff.

As far as Japanese/Korean fantasy MMO's....bah don't get me started on them...

Say about SOE all you want but in SWG's case I'll keep blaming Lucasarts as LA held the strings and SOE couldn't do jack s*** without their approval.

Huh

How would Sony release another Star Wars MMO, when EA currently has Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO rights?

/Shrugs - maybe it's a SWG REBOOT in honor of the new upcoming movie? LoL - who knows...only time will tell. Maybe it's just a picture of Princess Leah in a raunchy outfit...from her younger days =P

I don't think he meant it was going to be another "star wars' mmo, rather just a new mmo that used some of the things people liked about SWG (non-instanced housing, crafting, resources, etc).

SWG was pretty unique. I remember the long lines for buffs. In that game you could get buffed by other players before you went farming. The buffs lasted an hour or two so people would make these long lines in front of advertising players. They would /tip them some credits, get their buff and move out, one at a time. What a weird game. And don't get me started on the cantina dancers (an actual class).

SWG was pretty unique. I remember the long lines for buffs. In that game you could get buffed by other players before you went farming. The buffs lasted an hour or two so people would make these long lines in front of advertising players. They would /tip them some credits, get their buff and move out, one at a time. What a weird game. And don't get me started on the cantina dancers (an actual class).

Those things gave people an actual real time way of making money. Cantina dancers would also buff you in a different way.
You could log your doctor class in and tend wounds and buff sitting in a busy city making money. A nice low impact way of playing the game while doing something else in the meantime.
It sure beats mining in games like Eve or whatever. At least you had player interaction.

You know looking back, I think the "entertainers/dancers" were actually a unique thing that could be done better in newer games.

In most mmo's the tavern (which is usually one of the most bustling places in popular fiction) are never really used much in games. Many developers have trie dto find ways to get people to use such things but it is usually just a quest stop populated with npc's standing around.

However in SWG the catina's were used by many real players because of the whole wound/healing mechanics and how the entertainers "healed" your combat wounds (which stacked up over time as you were in combat, regardless if you died or not).

This gave a means to get peopel to go to such places and also gave the enterainer players a reason to exist besides being a simple "novelty."

However it wasn't all well designed (IE macro/afkers).

I think if they could say, incorporate the Lord of the Rings online music instruments (where you can play each note) it would make things a lot more interesting and fun for those types of players.

I loved the fact cantinas were useful. I never cared about the macro/afk people. It was fine for cantinas and even when you ran into someone that was afk grinding combat it was easy enough to agro a few extra toons to kill them so you could take their spot. I thought that made for a nice little risk/reward system for grinding combat stuff.

SWG was the best crack I ever had, nothing else stands a chance. The class system is still the most unique I've ever played with. I still feel there was such a solid foundation for exploration and travel and combat if they wouldn't have ditched it all and stopped all the knee jerk nerf bat stuff. And who ever didn't like the jump to lightspeed stuff is crazy, it was an xwing/tie figher RPG. What wasn't to like!!! SWG wasn't perfect but nothing has filled that void of being your own star wars character.

It won't be SW MMO - EA has all the rights for SW license for gaming, bought from Disney

:O NoooooooOOOooOoOOOoOOOoOOooOoo!

/Edit and to add, while Smedley was a world class C U Next Tuesday, Julio Torres was the destroyer of many a good Star Wars ideas. The only thing they did well while he was there was Republic Commando for awhile there, and it was WAY too short and just begged for a sequel. It was a great story and fun even though it was kind of on rails.

Last edited:
But at least they took it away from that hack lucas.

and i am not sure what we need is a new sw mmo. i would rather have a new sifi mmo in a totally new setting but infused with the awesome sauce of swg

A lot of old names here.

I loved the crafting system, had Doc and Armor crafters and from resource scouting, to harvester management (themselves a crafted device), to multiple exceptional experimentation blueprints for factories (crafted device), to vending machines (another crafted device), the overall crafting experience and general player interaction with the in-game economy is still light years ahead of any other MMO imo

In the early days I remember running around surveying for resources on frontier worlds with just a pistol, running futilely for your life (pre-speeders), getting incapped and hoping that baz nitch won't come back for a deathblow. The worlds were so much bigger pre-speeder, I kind of missed that when they were introduced.

So you find the best ever spawn of intrusive ore in the middle of Dant, but there's only room for 23 heavy harvesters on concentrations over 65%. You've got to hire at least 2 other players to come out and plop down harvesters and put you on the admin list.

Have you ever tried to source Lokian wooly hide? Best ever (pre-CU anyways) wooly hide spawn on Bloodfin was Lokian Wooly...even at 100 CPU you couldn't get anyone to hunt it down. Ahh, but that's where you tell your guild everyone has to bring in at least 1k lokian wooly or you'll ban them from your shop.

Once you've got all the resources, and installations, you can start on the sub-components, on some like the stun layers quality matters, on others like the fiberplast panels anything goes. When quality matters, experimentation matters, and Great! isn't good enough. Exceptional results were the rule of the day, usually on the main attribute so I'd have an extra point to spend on a secondary attribute. For the lokian wooly stun composite blueprints I held out for a double exceptional...it took a while, even with edible assistance.

So you've run your sub-components, and made a final product blueprint, leave the factories to run for a day or two. Come back and throw it all on the vendor you bought from the droid engineer.

All the automation allowed player-crafted items to be the best equipment in the game for most players, without making the crafting professions a constant repetitive grind (armor and weapons decayed after all). Once you had your factories going, it was much more about interaction with other players, selling your goods or buying organic resources, or contracting for harvester placement, opening additional shop locations, advertising, special request or named items ect.

Anyways, after years of stockpiling a vast array of server-best resources, SOE decides to implement the CU and turn my stockpiles into so much average dirt.

SOE can shove their SWG-like MMO right up their behinds, and here's hoping it's shaped like an X-wing rather than an A-wing.

Anyways, after years of stockpiling a vast array of server-best resources, SOE decides to implement the CU and turn my stockpiles into so much average dirt.

SOE can shove their SWG-like MMO right up their behinds, and here's hoping it's shaped like an X-wing rather than an A-wing.

Well that took an amazing turn. Post of the day :D

god i miss swg crafting i made colse to the best buff packs for a while on the sever i was on and made a shit ton of money off them and making house calls to go and buff people before a hunt or pvp. god i miss that.

is the swgeum still alive?

A lot of old names here.

I loved the crafting system, had Doc and Armor crafters and from resource scouting, to harvester management (themselves a crafted device), to multiple exceptional experimentation blueprints for factories (crafted device), to vending machines (another crafted device), the overall crafting experience and general player interaction with the in-game economy is still light years ahead of any other MMO imo

In the early days I remember running around surveying for resources on frontier worlds with just a pistol, running futilely for your life (pre-speeders), getting incapped and hoping that baz nitch won't come back for a deathblow. The worlds were so much bigger pre-speeder, I kind of missed that when they were introduced.

So you find the best ever spawn of intrusive ore in the middle of Dant, but there's only room for 23 heavy harvesters on concentrations over 65%. You've got to hire at least 2 other players to come out and plop down harvesters and put you on the admin list.

Have you ever tried to source Lokian wooly hide? Best ever (pre-CU anyways) wooly hide spawn on Bloodfin was Lokian Wooly...even at 100 CPU you couldn't get anyone to hunt it down. Ahh, but that's where you tell your guild everyone has to bring in at least 1k lokian wooly or you'll ban them from your shop.

Once you've got all the resources, and installations, you can start on the sub-components, on some like the stun layers quality matters, on others like the fiberplast panels anything goes. When quality matters, experimentation matters, and Great! isn't good enough. Exceptional results were the rule of the day, usually on the main attribute so I'd have an extra point to spend on a secondary attribute. For the lokian wooly stun composite blueprints I held out for a double exceptional...it took a while, even with edible assistance.

So you've run your sub-components, and made a final product blueprint, leave the factories to run for a day or two. Come back and throw it all on the vendor you bought from the droid engineer.

All the automation allowed player-crafted items to be the best equipment in the game for most players, without making the crafting professions a constant repetitive grind (armor and weapons decayed after all). Once you had your factories going, it was much more about interaction with other players, selling your goods or buying organic resources, or contracting for harvester placement, opening additional shop locations, advertising, special request or named items ect.

I am hoping they make it more like the original SWG in terms of crafting, quality, experimenting, etc.

Having differing quality of goods, resources, having to find/buy them or what not made for a lot of interaction between the crafter harvesters, buyers, etc.

I remember on Bloodfin the most famous crafter at one time was Enott. He had such an Iron fist when it came to getting the high quality things and he would try so hard to protect his top quality on goods wheno ther crafters trie dmuscling in he'd try everything to stop them.

He also charged quite the price for his quality items and because he had a large group of people getting him resources and things he could and people paid until other rafters finally started to be competitive.

You don't get hings like that in most other mmo's where you get to know crafters by their names and interact with them, ask for special orders, strike deals (IE you build me this and I'll obtain these resources, etc).

I am hoping they make it more like the original SWG in terms of crafting, quality, experimenting, etc.

Having differing quality of goods, resources, having to find/buy them or what not made for a lot of interaction between the crafter harvesters, buyers, etc.

I remember on Bloodfin the most famous crafter at one time was Enott. He had such an Iron fist when it came to getting the high quality things and he would try so hard to protect his top quality on goods wheno ther crafters trie dmuscling in he'd try everything to stop them.

He also charged quite the price for his quality items and because he had a large group of people getting him resources and things he could and people paid until other rafters finally started to be competitive.

You don't get hings like that in most other mmo's where you get to know crafters by their names and interact with them, ask for special orders, strike deals (IE you build me this and I'll obtain these resources, etc).

another bloodfiner! what was your name and any guilds?

My name was Stiler, I was in the genmay guild (general mayhem, the forum that split from hardforums when it was removed from here before being set up again).

Here are some new pics

church.jpg

Honestly, if it's a zombie MMO i'd be disappoint.

haha you got zombie from that picture?

I guess I can't blame you, its an old church surrounded by some poorly maintained grass/weeds.

Back