SOE is no longer SOE - EQ,H1Z1, etc

It will help them get rid of some of the negativity associated with SOE. Are they keeping Smedley? If so, then I still won't be giving them my money.

Nevermind, I went and RTFA. Looks like I still won't be giving them my money.

I honestly thought this was a fucking joke. :D
Let's see how it goes; hopefully EQN is still going forward

Looks like the main thing that changes from this sale is that they will no longer be exclusive to Playstation, and will be making Xbox games too.

Probably because the SOE brand name is like the Comcast of gaming; figure they can ditch the negative association.

Probably because the SOE brand name is like the Comcast of gaming; figure they can ditch the negative association.

No, Sony is hemorrhaging money. They need every dime they can generate. So they are going to sell off more bits until they are nothing but a shell of their former selves.

whoa! I wonder what this means of EQ1 and 2. If their numbers aren't up to snuff, I wonder if the investment company will be quicker to get rid of them

whoa! I wonder what this means of EQ1 and 2. If their numbers aren't up to snuff, I wonder if the investment company will be quicker to get rid of them

H1Z1 has been near the top of the bestsellers on steam since it came out, I think it's generating good revenue.

Eq1/2 are both quite old now and f2p IIRC, don't think they'd be keeping the servers up that long if neither was profitable.

Also EQlandmark and Everquest next which is still on its way.

If they don't fire Smedley (and probably Georgeson) they don't care about making money. SOE lost a lot of money recently.

H1Z1 has been near the top of the bestsellers on steam since it came out, I think it's generating good revenue.

Eq1/2 are both quite old now and f2p IIRC, don't think they'd be keeping the servers up that long if neither was profitable.

Also EQlandmark and Everquest next which is still on its way.

Who knows why things where done at Sony but I'm with the other guy wondering about the future of the older eq games. I can't imagine the original is making tons of money.

In regards to the original Everquest, which got its 21st expansion in October:

"It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together."

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...ainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.217508/

Daybreak Game Company? Who the F came up with that name. That's terrible. They'd have been better off going with Prestige Worldwide.

Daybreak Game Company? Who the F came up with that name. That's terrible. They'd have been better off going with Prestige Worldwide.
It sounds too close to
gamebreak, its only a matter of time before the internetz start calling them Deybreak after a broken patch or something.

"It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together."

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...ainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.217508/

What they say and what they do are too often quite different over at SOE. Any hope I had went out the window when I found they kept Smedley.

Everyone says they hate smedley but he must be doing something right from a business standpoint because he has had a job for so long. I thought he would've been let go by now. Dude has a shit attitude.

He HAS to be making them a lot of money or partially own SOE or something

Everyone says they hate smedley but he must be doing something right from a business standpoint because he has had a job for so long. I thought he would've been let go by now. Dude has a shit attitude.

He HAS to be making them a lot of money or partially own SOE or something

Well we can pretty easily debunk the making them tons of money theory...

John Smedley has been busting his ass with informing us with H1Z1.

He's a damn human, give the guy a break.

He does much better with interaction than most Dev presidents do.

SOE already did a round of shutting down deadwood MMOs - they closed Free Realms, Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Wizardry Online in June 2014.

Costs on Everquest must be minimal; I searched for quite awhile last night for subscriber numbers, and the best I could come up with was an admittedly inaccurate count made by a player last summer that counted around 500 to 1500 active players each on most of the dozen or so servers. Yet they still released an expansion in October. With such small potatoes (that's what, 12,000 players?), I can only suppose it's some sort of prestige thing for someone (Smedley?) to keep it going.

SOE already did a round of shutting down deadwood MMOs - they closed Free Realms, Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Wizardry Online in June 2014.

Costs on Everquest must be minimal; I searched for quite awhile last night for subscriber numbers, and the best I could come up with was an admittedly inaccurate count made by a player last summer that counted around 500 to 1500 active players each on most of the dozen or so servers. Yet they still released an expansion in October. With such small potatoes (that's what, 12,000 players?), I can only suppose it's some sort of prestige thing for someone (Smedley?) to keep it going.

I still play eq occasionally and from what I see it's not completely dead and people seem to use the cash shop a lot. You see tons of cash shop mounts etc ruining around. That and the fact that it's eq is what keeps it going. I can't imagine with all the eq next hype that they would want to shut it down until after launch anyway. Would be nice to get real sub numbers though it seems to me eq is doing better then eq 2.

Twenty-first expansion!! Holy crap! I played upon release in 99' until well into 2000 and there were only two expansions at that point! (Kunark and Planes of something?)

Ahh the nostalgia!

Twenty-first expansion!! Holy crap! I played upon release in 99' until well into 2000 and there were only two expansions at that point! (Kunark and Planes of something?)

Ahh the nostalgia!

Planes of power was 2002, the fourth expansion.

Ahh the nostalgia!

I was in the beta and played from launch until around 2004. Third level 50 Cleric on Fennin Ro server as I recall.

Its funny, I play now with people in FFXIV who whine and moan about dying to something or how hard things are and I can only laugh and reply with... "Imagine dying somewhere and being ported back to your home city NAKED and having to get back to your gear wherever you died."

They have no clue how easy they've got it nowadays. Breaking into the Plane of Fear/Hate? Put some depends on and keep a fridge of food nearby. A raid in FFXIV? Over in 20-30 minutes pretty much.

I'm hoping EQN is good, not that I love SONY or Smedley, but I'm pretty sick of SE's pattern in FFXIV at this point and just want an out other than to go back to WoW.

The thing about EQN is that the graphics and art style is nothing like EQ. the art for EQ on the website even is 1000x cooler than EQN. EQN looks like it's being aimed at kids. So unfortunate.

I actually went back and played the original EQ for a while a couple years ago. I did multibox an entire group, but the game was definitely enjoyable. There just aren't enough people playing for the average person to be able to play. You basically have to multibox.

I did a Paladin, Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Shaman, and Wizard. Swapped in a Ranger and Necromancer as well. I had a ton of fun with it.

I really hoped EQ:N was going to be something special. :/

The CU and NGE were put in place to reverse falling subscriptions.

Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy.

they could of spent that time and money on actual content to make the core game that people liked better which is sad.

bring back old swg pre cu and call it a day

FFS yes!!! I still play the private servers

I will gladly pay for 2-3 subscriptions again... 1 battle toon, a medic, and a Dancer. Need all 3 again!! CMON that 45/mo just from me.

With Sony out of the picture, maybe they can now afford to finish games.

They cannot bring SWG back because the SW license expired a while ago.

i also remember them saying it was impossible to bring it back because they didnt save the old server data or something a long those lines which was likely total bs response.

but this is sony we are talking about, they are not very computer savvy so not having backups of backups would not surprise me

They couldn't even if they wanted to, EA has the rights to Star Wars games.

Back