Socket478 with DDR and PCI Express?

Sikpupi

Limp Gawd
Such an animal exist?
I know Asrock have come up with some funky hybrid boards, I have a S478 3.2gig prescott here doing nothing.

Forgot to add that it should be M-ATX (pushing hard here for sure)

Nope, there is no chipset in existance that natively supports PCI-Express, DDR and s478. The best you can do is s775, DDR, AGP, in which case all you need is a new processor.

Where did you find the Asus P4RD1 for $50? ZipZoomFly has had it on "backorder" for months and I have never seen it in stock. I even sent an email a few months back and they replied "we dont know when it will be in". The only place I have seen it for sale is overseas...never have I seen it here in the states. So if you could link me, I would be most greatful. You are right, that other board does only support the 'M' family

PC Surgeon said:
Where did you find the Asus P4RD1 for $50? ZipZoomFly has had it on "backorder" for months and I have never seen it in stock. I even sent an email a few months back and they replied "we dont know when it will be in". The only place I have seen it for sale is overseas...never have I seen it here in the states. So if you could link me, I would be most greatful. You are right, that other board does only support the 'M' family

+1 I would love one of these boards

Sorry guys I am in Europe (Finland) and while I haven't seen the board with my own eyes, lots of placed have it listed on the Finnish pricewatch.

The cheapest I found it was €44 so it's not bad (if it works)

Just editing to add that most of these places have no idea when the board is arriving, one place said 18.7.06 so I ordered it from there.
Seems that finding this board might not be so easy afterall.

Very interesting. I didn't know that ASUS board existed. I was only aware of the ASRock, which is only available outside the US, AFAIK, and there was another, Foxconn, I believe.

Either way, they are difficult to find. I'd like one as well.

I see a few mATX boards on ebay using the Xpress200 chipset:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-P4RD1-MX-P...ryZ80158QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-P4RD1-MX-P...ryZ80158QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IMO, you should just get rid of the S478 3.2GHz now and reevaluate your options. :p In the next 2-3 weeks both Intel and AMD CPU prices are set to drop significantly. Between what you can get for that CPU now and what it would cost for a S478 mATX DDR/PCI-E motherboard, you could wind up with something much better (and more modern) for the same price. For example, a 3.2GHz LGA775 P4 541 (64-bit enabled and cooler running than the S478 3.2GHz you currently have) will be $84 soon. Then you have access to the more plentiful mATX/PCI-E/DDR1 selection of motherboards.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^^^ that is a good point, and I completely 100% agree with you, but I for one would love a baord like that, for these reasons:

* I have 2 S478 chips back in thier cases, sitting on a shelf.
* I have 2 busted S478 MoBos......
* I have plenty of PSU's, cases, memory, etc, not video cards
* I will start to have PCI-x hand me down video cards

So I could use one of these boards to make a nice 'spare' rig, with my P4 3gig chip, and my 2.8 going back into my SFF PC if I can find a mobo that will fit into that case.

So there is some good for this, I think it's just a niche market

98EXL said:
^^^ that is a good point, and I completely 100% agree with you, but I for one would love a baord like that, for these reasons:

* I will start to have PCI-x hand me down video cards

clarify - it is NOT PCI-x - that is a Server PCI slot it is PCIe - big diff.

MrGuvernment said:
That confused me for a second.

Another clarification for simplicity: :p

PCI-X: High Speed Server PCI slot used primarily for disk controllers

PCI-e: Video card slot

MrGuvernment said:

yeah I know, I get confused, especially while working with pci-x at work :D

Back