socket AM3

means am2+ life is like a year. :rolleyes:

No, to my understanding, AM3 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards( I think that AM3s will have both DDR2 and 3 controllers), it's just that AM2+ processors will not work in AM3 motherboards(due to a lack of DDR3 controller)

not 100% sure, but I seem to have scraps of this in my memory for some reason.

amd is getting on my nerves ...

why keep switching the god damn sockets ...stay with 1 freaking socket and build up .. 3 cored cpu, wtf ... go for quads silly idiots, why can't amd make a quad 45nm at lik 3 Ghz for like $300 ?

amd is getting on my nerves ...

why keep switching the god damn sockets ...stay with 1 freaking socket and build up .. 3 cored cpu, wtf ... go for quads silly idiots, why can't amd make a quad 45nm at lik 3 Ghz for like $300 ?

Go out there and show 'em how it's done.

They're really doing this much better this time around. Integrated memory controllers mean that you have to make compromises. AM2 chips really should have backwards compatible with socket 939, that's a given. But 939 chips couldn't have worked with AM2 sockets for the same reason that AM2(+) chips won't work in AM3 sockets.

Just wait til Intel's IMC products hit the market. Every time JEDEC sneezes out a new DRAM standard you'll have a new socket for Intel. If not then there will be mass hysteria when people find out their brand new chip will fry their memory because DDR4 isn't compaitble with DDR5

Well since when people have to change their motherboards to run a Nehalem, I guess that is bullshit also. If you use the same logic that is being used in this thread.

Having to change sockets one of the negitives of having an on die memory controller, Intel hasnt had this problem yet, they will when they go to the on die memory controller

k10s have ddr2 AND ddr3 controllers in them already. so the move to am3 should be very smooth by amd.

Intel doesn't require you to switch sockets all the time..... you just need a new chipset all the time which is effectively the same dang thing.

Intel doesn't require you to switch sockets all the time..... you just need a new chipset all the time which is effectively the same dang thing.
You missed the part where intels new chips will have an on-die memory controller, meaning they'll have to change sockets, not just chipsets, just like AMD

Intel has maintained their 775 CPU socket for awhile now. AMD on the otherhand, well... they seem to change things all up every two years. I bought my 939 pin processor back in 2005 soon after they were released. A year later I no longer had much of an upgrade path since AMD canned the 939 pin series. That's kind of disheartening, but I suppose it is profitable for them.

Intel has maintained their 775 CPU socket for awhile now. AMD on the otherhand, well... they seem to change things all up every two years. I bought my 939 pin processor back in 2005 soon after they were released. A year later I no longer had much of an upgrade path since AMD canned the 939 pin series. That's kind of disheartening, but I suppose it is profitable for them.

u do remember AMD back in the socket A days and intel in the P4 days right?

AMD stuck to 1 socket but intel had 3 different sockets.

the way i see it is i just build my systems every 3-4 years and go all new, fuck upgrading.

In my mind a new socket every couple years is no different the Intel releasing a new chipset with every refresh that is all but mandatory. Yes Intel's are backwards compatible but I'm not going to buy a new Mobo for my P4 when the 925XE chipset boards its running in right now works just fine. If I'm getting a new Mobo I'm getting a new CPU to.

I feel ya, my 754 died on me. 754 should work in AM2+ also :D

How would that integrated single channel DDR1 controller run the DDR2 modules? Or are you suggesting that there should be motherboards that AM2+ but with DDR1 slots? That would be kinda confusing would it not?

How would that integrated single channel DDR1 controller run the DDR2 modules? Or are you suggesting that there should be motherboards that AM2+ but with DDR1 slots? That would be kinda confusing would it not?

i think he was being sarcastic...:D

Back