Socket A Boards - still in service?

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Curious, anyone still actively using socket A systems?

Getting daily use out of 2 Soltek 75-FRN2-R's and a Shuttle AN35N. All Athlon XP-M 2600's.

i have one though i havent had it running in a few months due to limited plugs and surge protectors in my room.. but its an athlon xp 1700+ overclocked to 2000+ on a cheapo pcchips motherboard because the sayo dragon what ever board it was originally on died.. but i did have it running Boinc for a good year or so til i decided to build another file server..

Still have this Gigabyte GA-7DX+ motherboard in the system to the left of me. This system has 512 MB of PC2100 memory, and a Duron 1.0 GHz CPU in it, along with a 3Com 10/100 PCI ethernet card.

It's been working 24/7 as our FTP server, and has been utterly reliable.

Not for me. The last one I had was used for target practice about a year ago. It was an ABIT A7N8X I believe.

I still use an ECS board and a Duron 600 and Fedora what- maybe 4 or 5(?) for my music / file/ print server. It still hums along with a fanless video card and a 180W power supply showing no sign of death. I clean the dust out of the fans every few months but other than that and the occasional occasional power failure it's been up 24/7 for years.

I have a tester PC that has a Soyo KT600 Dragon mobo and an Athlon XP 2600+. My old server that I stuck ESXi on is a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P dual socket mobo with two Athlon MP 2400+'s. The Athlon MP's are actually XP's that I painted the traces on so they "turned into" Athlon MP's.

I gave my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard with a Barton 3000+ CPU to my mother several years ago. It was still running just fine over Christmas. Since she largely uses her computer for the internet and word processing, she really has no pressing need to upgrade.

I have a tester PC that has a Soyo KT600 Dragon mobo and an Athlon XP 2600+. My old server that I stuck ESXi on is a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P dual socket mobo with two Athlon MP 2400+'s. The Athlon MP's are actually XP's that I painted the traces on so they "turned into" Athlon MP's.

lol yeah thats the board i had.. the soyo kt600 dragon.. couldnt remember the name of it.. chipset fan motor shaft stripped the fan and my chipset completely fried.. board was a good overclocker compared to this piece of junk 20 dollar pcchips board i have now..

The one in my sig was the main rig until a month ago, it's going to be active again when i give it to my nephew.

I gave my last socket A system to my parents a while ago. Still runs nicely for their use, although my mom has been hinting she could use an upgrade.

I had 2 socket A systems in service till redid my rack 2-3 months ago. I still have them in my garage, figuring out what do with them.

Saturday a customer came by my store for a heat sink for a socket A system he was rebuilding (he found a nice MSI board still NIB). We had a Jet 7+ thats been on the shelf for 3 years. he bought it and an 80mm fan in case he didnt like the faux jet engine fan.

A friend of mine has a dual MP 2400+ system, I forgot exactly what he uses it for though.

I sold a sempron 2800 to our church 3+ years ago, and the Pastor uses it daily. I had tried to make it more energy efficient and had it shut down at 1hr of non use. LOl, forgot to tell the Pastor-at first he thought there was something wrong with it-but I told him I had it set up that way, and I could change it back if he wanted me to.
Nope he like it just the way it is :D

I have a Athlon XP 3100+ sitting in a box. My mobo died, if I still had one (or could get a cheap/free one) it would be running and folding since I have the parts for the rest of the system.

Curious, anyone still actively using socket A systems?

Getting daily use out of 2 Soltek 75-FRN2-R's and a Shuttle AN35N. All Athlon XP-M 2600's.

I miss Soltek, wish they didn't go out of business. The only company that would ship you replacement caps when alot of socket A mobos were plagued with Taiwaneese rip-off caps.

I still have a socket A system up and running 24/7. Then again I have a socket 370 system with a 1Ghz P3 up and running as well.

MSI K7T Turbo 2 with Athlon XP 1700+ and Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with Barton 2500+ still running strong.

<snif> :)

Some darn fine boards you guys mentioned. Some of my happiest gaming days were with that technology.

A7N8X-VM w/ barton 2600+ as my main (7 years and still going strong) and an x2 3800+ as a backup... something is wrong right there...
It'll be sad when I finally upgrade to a quad phenom in 2 weeks to replace my barton. It was a good ride but the barton just can't keep up with high def content anymore.

I'm using an old ABIT NF7-S with a 1700+ overclocked to 1.7 Ghz and 1 GB of DDR 3200 RAM as my Windows Home Server box. It sits in the basement and does its thing with no problems whatsoever.

Back in the day, I had that system running at a whopping 2.3 Ghz on air. Given that WHS is running so well I don't see the point in fiddling with it again.

Up until early 2007, I was still using a Socket A machine. It has a Barton 2500+, 1 Gig of ram, with a MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard. What amazes me is how long it lasted....2003-2007 (with some upgrades). Its not hooked up now, but it still works. Before that I had a Thunderbird 1.33 and a Iwill board (K266-R).

ECS K7S5A with 1gig ddr and a AXP1200.

In a colo 2u box...

:LOL:

What was my friend thinking. This was 4 yrs ago.

Just put together a compute for my daughter for Christmas (she will turn 3 in March).

ABIT A7N8X-E Deluxe
Athlon XP 3200+
1 GB RAM
2x 80 GB Hard drives
Windows XP

Letting her play Dora the Explorer and other simple games. She is already starting to figure out how to use the mouse and "loves" her computer :)

My sister is still using my old Socket A.

MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
Athlon XP 2700+
1GB PC3200
Radeon 9800 Pro
80GB WD IDE

Sold my NF7-S about a year ago on here. Probably my favorite board I've ever used.

I'm using an old ABIT NF7-S with a 1700+ overclocked to 1.7 Ghz and 1 GB of DDR 3200 RAM as my Windows Home Server box. It sits in the basement and does its thing with no problems whatsoever.

Back in the day, I had that system running at a whopping 2.3 Ghz on air. Given that WHS is running so well I don't see the point in fiddling with it again.

2.3ghz :( god i wish i hit those speeds with mine.. but heck you might force me to go find my ice burg II water cooling kit in my garage and try overclocking my 1700+ again.. :p

2.3ghz :( god i wish i hit those speeds with mine.. but heck you might force me to go find my ice burg II water cooling kit in my garage and try overclocking my 1700+ again.. :p

I used an SLK-947u cooler with a Swiftech 92mm fan (which is still on there). The scrap metal worth of that heatsink can't be to bad.

i had the popular abit nf7-s which died. also the epox that rivaled it, but it burnt literally.

now i have a 1700+ left in a asus a7n266-vm/aa which runs so damn slow. far slower than the other two socket a's i had. i don't know why it does either. It has 7200 rpm drive too plus 1g mem. it just seems to grind away on the hard drive like it's running at 66 speeds. i tried serveral hd's. I really just want to use Ubuntu on it. It works but it's SLOWWWWWW

guess my amd x2 spoiled me from those days. I dunno. I Still think it's extra slow.

I had also bought a shuttle mobo (mk40) for a athlon XP1700 that was given to me. I bought it new 3 weeks ago of Ebay. I had to lol when I realised i had all of the other hardware "lying" around to complete the machine.

I love my AXP. I'm still running a Shuttle AN35N-Ultra with a Barton 2500+ mildly overclocked to 2.2.

My wife's computer is an ABIT NF7 running a Barton 2500+with an FX5900 to play LOTRO. She doesn't even want me to upgrade it to my old socket 939 opty and 7900gt cause she's affraid to mess up what works lol.

still have a Palomino core 2000+ on a Epox 8RDA3+ or something like that...

512MB ram with an older 24x burner and a seasonic 500w PSU...rofl...
modded it all into an old gateway essential tower. No one would know the difference as the power/reset still functions...but you look at the back where i took the dremel to it and...yeah...quite evident...

My only computer is one I built oh so many years ago with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and an Athlon XP 2600+. It is still going strong. I even had to replace the battery on the mobo a few months ago, something I have never had to do before. The talking POST scared the holy crap out of me when the BIOS settings reset due to the dead battery.

I'm not a gamer but I do work from home using this computer everyday.

My little brother uses a 2GHz Athlon XP build for schoolwork, web browsing, and ipod use.

I probably have two or three other working socket A board around besides the A7n8x-dlx running the overclocked XP-m. If I look around I can probably find one or two socket 7 K6-2 motherboards and processors as well. I haven't run those in a number of years, though.

Back