Socket A Amd Athlon help

coolkishan

Limp Gawd
My mate has jus showed me an old Athlon XP which i found out to be one of the original ones that came out first, it was made in 1999. So just to check if it works can anyone recommend me wat motherboarda nd psu to get?

coolkishan said:
My mate has jus showed me an old Athlon XP which i found out to be one of the original ones that came out first, it was made in 1999. So just to check if it works can anyone recommend me wat motherboarda nd psu to get?
Socket A or Slot A?

All socket A athlons say they were "made in 1999" its imprinted on the CPU sticker.

You need to list off the entire code found on the sticker or fire it up and check on a socket A board.

coolkishan said:

Uhh, if its an Athlon XP its socket A.

a good budget socket A board I always used to get was the Shuttle AN35N if I remember correctly... It used to go for $50-60 but I don't know where you will find one. I'm using the ASUS A7N8X (used to be around $100 or something) in my old comp, and an older comp is running an Athlon XP 1700+ in the ASUS A7V266 (via chipset). They are both good boards, the A7V266 is surprisingly good at taking a beating :)

Be careful of that Sparkle PSU. It is obviously made for a system which powers the CPU from the
+5v rail. The ASUS a7n8x would be a good board for that. However, the Shuttle an35n powers
the CPU from the +12v rail so you would need a PSU with a stronger +12v rating.

dang... you guys talk as if Athlon XP Socket A CPU's are from the ancient time or something. I'm still using AXP 2000+ for crying out loud! :'( I play games like Counterstrike Source and World of Warcraft too.

If you need a board, I'd check the FS/FT threads. I've sold Socket A boards there recently for a song because no one wants them anymore :).

Wiked.. he needs to get this up and running asap to replace his... brace yourself...
Pentium 2 200mhz proc :p lol i think its 200mhz.

Back