Socket 939 essentially a Q3 product

Originally posted by Surly
Alas I cannot wait until the second half of the year. Looks like a socket 754 3700+ is in my future....
that's why it's being delayed ...

AMD knows that there is room left in their current sockets

they blew it with the delays in 64 bit, but its a good business decision this time.

Some people just can't be pleased...

Not long ago, people complained that their Socket 754 boards would go obsolete in the next few months. With Socket 939 being effectively delayed (according to the rumor), who's going to be disappointed now?

hmm this is actually good news...

And from what I've seen in the benchmarks comparing SC 512kB with SC 1MB and DC 1MB the performance of 939 DC 512kB wouldn't been much different from 754 SC 1MB if even worse?

You'd end up buying a new mobo anyway for future upgrades if you'd get AGP/DDR1 939 mobo now and soon we'll have PCI-eXpress and DDR2.

Nowdays mobos aren't so expensive anyway I've been looking at ECS 755-A2 and Asrock K8S8X, they're going for 69-79€ and they have all the goodies. It's always best to get a new state of the art mobo with a new CPU upgrade anyway unless you're of course upgrading very rapidly.

Maybe I'll order my A64 soon now :D

Originally posted by xonik
Some people just can't be pleased...

Not long ago, people complained that their Socket 754 boards would go obsolete in the next few months. With Socket 939 being effectively delayed (according to the rumor), who's going to be disappointed now?

The people waiting for Socket 939. :D

Originally posted by Hydra
And from what I've seen in the benchmarks comparing SC 512kB with SC 1MB and DC 1MB the performance of 939 DC 512kB wouldn't been much different from 754 SC 1MB if even worse?

This is only because current DC Athlon 64's require registered memory which adds latency and therefore hurts performance, Socket 939 doesn't require registered memory and so should outperform Socket 754 especially as clock speeds rise.

Yeah I read that this morning.

Looks like I'll be going s754. Definately not waiting until Q3 to buy a computer. If you look at my specs I'm sure you'd agree. The s939 A64's probably won't be THAT much faster than s754 A64's anyways. Same clock at the moment, they just have dual channel and less L2 cache. I hope the Athlon 64 3700+ S754 drives the Athlon 64 3400+ S754 price down. Somewhere around $430-$500 Canadian would be sweet. I doubt AMD will have it's flagship chip (3700+) running at more than $600, that means the 3400+ (currently priced at ~$600 Canadian) should go down in price at least a bit.

This makes things easier for me, more reliable motherboards. I won't have to buy one hot off the press. Now I can buy an Asus K8V or Abit KV8, two boards that have had some experience.

Then again. Can we really be sure that the Inquirer is truthful?

People like to bash the inquirer but they usually have pretty good sources...

(and you think YOU need to upgrade? Im using this 3 year old 1.4ghz thunderbird with 256 megs of PC133 sdram. yeesh.)

Anyone know when the Athlon 64 3700+ is supposed to come out? Anyone know when the ATI 420 video card is supposed to come out? I have a 933 MHz P3 with 256 MB PC700 RDRAM and was going to upgrade to the 3400+ when I heard the 939 form factor was just around the corner. Now, I don't think I can wait a few more months and am thinking of getting the 3700+ with the ATI 420 if they're coming soon.

Originally posted by Surly
People like to bash the inquirer but they usually have pretty good sources...

(and you think YOU need to upgrade? Im using this 3 year old 1.4ghz thunderbird with 256 megs of PC133 sdram. yeesh.)
Yeah dude, your processor > mine. Willamettes are horrid.

Originally posted by splooger
Anyone know when the Athlon 64 3700+ is supposed to come out? Anyone know when the ATI 420 video card is supposed to come out? I have a 933 MHz P3 with 256 MB PC700 RDRAM and was going to upgrade to the 3400+ when I heard the 939 form factor was just around the corner. Now, I don't think I can wait a few more months and am thinking of getting the 3700+ with the ATI 420 if they're coming soon.
r420 - Spring 2004
Athlon 3700+ - March 29, 2004

Pretty sure those are the correct dates.

Originally posted by Mojo
Yeah dude, your processor > mine. Willamettes are horrid.

Off topic but Wilamette college sent me some mail. I didn't even look at it since at once my mind brought up the P4 Wilamette incident. *shudders*

Originally posted by DaveX
Off topic but Wilamette college sent me some mail. I didn't even look at it since at once my mind brought up the P4 Wilamette incident. *shudders*

Lol i got some mail from wilmatte college also sent me some mail didn't bother to open it.

Back to the conversation at hand:

I was hoping to get a cheap s754 solutin when s939 came out. Either way I will be buying a new computer march/may.

damn this is a bummer, i was waiting for 939 because i hear so many weird problems with the 754 socket, and i want to have a stable computer, i just wanted 939 to be out for summer, i hope this rumor isnt true:(

Ya, I was looking forward to the s939's. Anyone know if s764 borads with PCI-eXpress video will be out anytime soon?

and you guys bitching about needing an upgrade need to check my sig:)

Originally posted by squishywalrus
Ya, I was looking forward to the s939's. Anyone know if s764 borads with PCI-eXpress video will be out anytime soon?

and you guys bitching about needing an upgrade need to check my sig:)

You still beat me in ram. Got a 1.8P4 willy [poopie], 256 PC800 RDRAM [yeesh], and a 256mb FX5600 [non-ultra, pre-flipchip]. I swear to god I think my other computer is faster [P3933mhz, 384 SDRAM].

Back