Socket 478 64-Bit 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 SL7Q8

The_HAVOK

n00b
I have a pretty unique build that i'm working on right now consisting of the illusive 64-bit Socket 478 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 SL7Q8, an Albatron PX915P4C Pro Motherboard, and 4GB DDR PC3200.
It currently is running 64-bit Windows 7 and has a GTX 750Ti as its GPU, and some cheap 120GB SSD as its main drive running off SATA.
I ziptied a Kraken M22 to the board for CPU cooling. It's in some retro looking case I got off EBay earlier this month, it has green LEDs, I am not sure what it is called.

Here's some history if you are interested in the SL7Q8

Some pictures, mind the clutter.
MtehfXL.jpg

As you can see, its running Windows 7 at the moment. You can't really tell from the picture but it is 64-bit.
6C0alLG.jpg

Last edited:

FlawleZ

Gawd
I get enjoyment out of tinkering with older but unique or uncommon hardware. Anything specific you're looking to run on this system or just put together for the hell of it?

The_HAVOK

n00b
I get enjoyment out of tinkering with older but unique or uncommon hardware. Anything specific you're looking to run on this system or just put together for the hell of it?
I've always just had a thing for Socket 478, I'm not really sure what it is. I guess I am building it for fun really, I am however trying to push this thing to the limit.
The SL7Q8 is a 64-bit chip which means it should be able to address more than 4GB of RAM, my current goal with it is to somehow jam 8GB of RAM into it.
I tried putting 4 modules of 2GB PC3200R ECC into it but it didn't post. Both the chip and board will work with ECC memory. I wasn't really expecting the PC3200R to work with the system due to the modules being registered but it was worth a shot trying.

Grebuloner

Gawd
I've always just had a thing for Socket 478, I'm not really sure what it is. I guess I am building it for fun really, I am however trying to push this thing to the limit.
The SL7Q8 is a 64-bit chip which means it should be able to address more than 4GB of RAM, my current goal with it is to somehow jam 8GB of RAM into it.
I tried putting 4 modules of 2GB PC3200R ECC into it but it didn't post. Both the chip and board will work with ECC memory. I wasn't really expecting the PC3200R to work with the system due to the modules being registered but it was worth a shot trying.
Pentium 4s lacked an integrated memory controller and relied on the chipset for memory addressing. It wasn't until Nehalem/Bloomfield (Core i7 9xx) in 2008 that Intel finally got on the IMC train. The 915 chipset maxes out at 4GB, so that's all you're going to get, unfortunately. Officially it doesn't support any type of ECC, either, but if you can get regular ECC to work (and confirm it in the OS, some boards just run modules in non-ECC mode), that'd be pretty cool.

How did you acquire the CPU?

The_HAVOK

n00b
Pentium 4s lacked an integrated memory controller and relied on the chipset for memory addressing. It wasn't until Nehalem/Bloomfield (Core i7 9xx) in 2008 that Intel finally got on the IMC train. The 915 chipset maxes out at 4GB, so that's all you're going to get, unfortunately. Officially it doesn't support any type of ECC, either, but if you can get regular ECC to work (and confirm it in the OS, some boards just run modules in non-ECC mode), that'd be pretty cool.

How did you acquire the CPU?
I pulled the cpu from an IBM eServer xSeries 306 8836-5SU that I bought from EBay a few months ago.
CPUZ reported that the RAM modules were ECC, I don't know anything about the machine actually using the ECC functionality though. I'll do more testing with it.

commissioneranthony

[H]ard|Gawd
Hell yeah man. Nice score on that CPU. Thanks for the article, I didn't know IBM custom ordered CPUs from intel that late in the game. I thought that stopped after the 386 days! Also, I had that exact xion case back in the P4 days :D.

The_HAVOK

n00b
The EBay listing that I bought this case from had a full build in it with some really wonky hardware in it. There was a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2, which is a 775 board that has both DDR1 and DDR2 slots on it, and on top of that it has both AGP and PCI-E. The machine also had a C2D E8400, 2GB DDR1, and a rare HIS Radeon 3850 AGP in it. I only paid $15 bucks for this thing, shipping was about $40 though but I'd say it was well worth it.

I would love to have used the HIS Radeon in my SL7Q8 build, but sadly the board I am using only has PCI-E, no AGP. I am still trying to find a good somewhat period accurate GPU to pair with the SL7Q8, it would need to be PCI-E of course.
I do have two other 478 boards, Dell Dimension 4200 and a Dell Precision 360, both of which have AGP with 4 RAM slots and are decent boards but I'd like to stick with the Albatron board it's using currently.

DeaconFrost

[H]ardForum Junkie
If you are looking to add to your retro builds, I have 5 or so Creative Labs SoundBlaster cards that are unused.

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I might actually have one of these processors in the original shrink-wrapped boxes. :D