Social Media Blamed For Spike In STDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks Mark Zuckerberg, thanks a lot. :mad:

New cases of syphilis, gonorrhea and HIV are on the rise in Rhode Island, a trend that the state health department attributed in part to social media as people increasingly turn to their phones to arrange "casual and often anonymous sexual encounters." Better testing has also contributed to the rising number of infections, the department said.

There are so many hookup sites and apps out there now that this isn't much of a surprise.

Better testing has also contributed to the rising number of infections, the department said.
Um, that is not how that works. There may be more IDENTIFIED cases, but testing does not lead to more infections.

Dr. Oz said kidney stones are caused by global warming, 3 times.

Dr. Oz also said that completely untested herbal suppliments that didn't even contain a trace of the plant they claimed to "just work". That man has no credibility, at this point I'd take the word of Jerry Springer over Dr. Oz.

Dr. Oz also said that completely untested herbal suppliments that didn't even contain a trace of the plant they claimed to "just work". That man has no credibility, at this point I'd take the word of Jerry Springer over Dr. Oz.

Indeed. The man has top notch credentials and a solid medical background but seems to reselling himself out.

I don't know, I've hooked up with more random females back in MySpace days then in Facebook.

Is this more of an indictment on the medical profession in the US or marketing gone wild?

There are a lot of doctors that have complained about Oz selling out. But like any business medicine is about money and its corrupting influence spares no profession.

Is this more of an indictment on the medical profession in the US or marketing gone wild?

Now days to many people are sellouts, because there is little or no personal integrity or penalties for doing so.

His endorsement of these quack suppliments should have caused his show to be canceled, and to be fired from any medical related job due to his lack of credibility. Just like sports stars that engage in bad or illegal behavior would be banned from sports. Instead we are not supposed to so judge mental about their "mistakes", and their bad behavior actually makes them MORE famous.

The story is absolutely right. I sit on our local Board of Health and our Chief Public Health Officer gave is the briefing last week. Anonymous, unprotected sex arranged through the internet is directly connected to a 300% rise in STD's, especially gonorrhea, in our health district. What is worse is that current strains of gonorrhea are highly resistant to most treatments. New treatments are expensive. If you do engage in anonymous, unprotected sex, use a condom and get tested regularly.

Zarathustra[H];1041624514 said:
Well, considering most of them are a bunch of horny dudes, and fake female profiles, it is at least a little bit surprising :p

There's always that but still the number is staggering. It can't be that difficult for all but the biggest losers out there to score sometimes if one is so inclined to engage in risky sex.

What doesn't social media make worse? Now they're saying narcissism has risen astronomically. In the 1950s, only 12% of American teens believed themselves to be "very important". That number jumped to 80% in 2005 and is probably even higher today.

Over the past 20 years, using statements such as “Somebody should write a biography about me”, 93% of young Americans emerge as being more narcissistic than the average of 20 years ago.

abstinence;...from facebook works

One of the best decisions I made. Two weeks before getting married, I deactivated my account and put in forth the deletion of said account. After the honeymoon, I came back to Facebook and tried to log on, but couldn't because the account doesn't exist. Boom.

One of the best decisions I made. Two weeks before getting married, I deactivated my account and put in forth the deletion of said account. After the honeymoon, I came back to Facebook and tried to log on, but couldn't because the account doesn't exist. Boom.

jbltecnicspro has changed his relationship status to engaged.

jbltecnicspro is now married to wonder woman.

jbltecnicspro ceases to exist to friends.

Sounds about right for marriage. ;)

"Hey stranger I just met online, want to meet in the park and have unprotected sex"?
"Hell yes!"

How does that work exactly? And you know what, if you're too cheap to buy a freaking condom, you deserve the clap. Enjoy it. Rubbers are what, $3 a dozen or something?

Free at our local health unit. They give them away in bars and pubs.

Now days to many people are sellouts, because there is little or no personal integrity or penalties for doing so.

His endorsement of these quack suppliments should have caused his show to be canceled, and to be fired from any medical related job due to his lack of credibility. Just like sports stars that engage in bad or illegal behavior would be banned from sports. Instead we are not supposed to so judge mental about their "mistakes", and their bad behavior actually makes them MORE famous.

Everyone's memory is short these days. Information overload or whatever they call it. Hell, Bill Clinton was named Father of the year in 2013 (no joke). It's kind of funny how that works. They say a tweet/facebook post could ruin you...for a week or two maybe.

sure blame social media when the truth is people don't know about safe sex...

How about keeping it in your pants. (Self control and responsibility, where did you go?)

There are a lot of doctors that have complained about Oz selling out. But like any business medicine is about money and its corrupting influence spares no profession.

All while prescribing the new drugs pushed to them by their big titted pharma reps... At least with Oz it's pretty obvious he's sold out....

sure blame social media when the truth is people don't know about safe sex...

That's funny. They were saying condoms were going to solve everything for what, the last 20 years? "Because they're going to have sex anyway".... :rolleyes:

People say you can't fix stupid, but I disagree. Just let nature take its course and the problem will solve itself eventually when all the idiots that should know better die from AIDS and who knows what else, and the people wise enough to not engage in risky behavior will be the ones that survive, and thus improve the gene pool. If that sounds a bit heartless, well, I don't have any sympathy for fools. If you know the risks and do it anyway then don't bitch about it when Lady Luck gives you the finger.

Now people in third-world countries that are uneducated or otherwise ignorant of the diseases or victims of rape... that's another matter. Those people need education and assistance. I can't blame them for what they don't understand or don't know about or what's forced on them against their will.

Back