Social Game Cheaters = Cheat At Everything Else Too

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new survey conducted by PopCap Games (PDF) found that people that cheat in online games are likely to cheat on you, cheat on taxes and park in spaces designated for handicapped people. As bad as the results are for US cheaters, our friends in the UK probably shouldn't even look at the chart below.

So people who cheat at one thing are apparently pre-disposed to cheat at other things..I never would of guessed without this extremely informative survey. /rolleyes.

In other news, if it is raining on one side of town, it is frequently raining on the other side of town.

These are also the people who, while driving, make lane changes without having enough room and without signals, make illegal U turns, speed excessively, tailgate, run red lights, run red or ended turn lights, and do rolling stops at stop signs.

Oh, and how does that saying go? Oh, right: "Cheaters and beaters never change."

I hacked a few of those social games like mafia wars and shit mostly to make fun of my friends who spend 20+ hours a week on that shit and I was able to rank myself higher in only a day and attacked them. It was pretty hilarious. I have no reason to cheat my taxes or park illegally. Bad survey is bad.

So which one of you is the bigger douchebag? You both try to pass on your opinions as fact while contradicting each other.

I think we need another survey to figure this one out. ;)

So people who cheat at one thing are apparently pre-disposed to cheat at other things..I never would of guessed without this extremely informative survey. /rolleyes.

vs.

NickJames said:
I hacked a few of those social games like mafia wars and shit mostly to make fun of my friends who spend 20+ hours a week on that shit and I was able to rank myself higher in only a day and attacked them. It was pretty hilarious. I have no reason to cheat my taxes or park illegally. Bad survey is bad.

Does the survey take oxytocin levels into account? Apparently oxytocin acts as the magnet for your moral compass.

So imagine this, as soon as big corporations figure out there is a correlation they will create software to match up social game cheaters with their Facebook accounts and deny you employment due to your being a potentially "Lying, thieving SOB."

And they'd be right.

Yet another reason to value your privacy.

I have to agree with bad survey is bad... since judging from the communities around cheating in flash / social games ... they are just haven's for trolls, script kiddies, and wannabe's .... the same type who would of answered the poll with all yes's just cuz they could, and think it would make them more important... or funny...

Hell I bet half of them arn't even old enough to be cheating on taxes or stealing from hotel rooms.

what kinda loser would bother cheating on some dumb facebook game

Yup, from the UK here (Manchester, North West England). I'd agree that we are cheating bastards.

I'm being completely honest too !

Maybe you don't have a reason to cheat on taxes or park illegally ... yet or cheat on your significant other if you have one - does that mean you wouldn't? Hacking into anything for the lolz is disgusting, not "hilarious".

what kinda loser would bother cheating on some dumb facebook game

a) see above; b) you have NO idea how much cheating actually goes on in some of the games. No I don't know how they do it, no I don't want to know how they do it, yes they do get reported - nothing seems to ever be done about it. I agree people who cheat on these games are losers. Try telling that to the 20,000+ level "boosted" vamps with 501 astounding (duped) abilities who think they're the chit.

a) see above; b) you have NO idea how much cheating actually goes on in some of the games. No I don't know how they do it, no I don't want to know how they do it, yes they do get reported - nothing seems to ever be done about it. I agree people who cheat on these games are losers. Try telling that to the 20,000+ level "boosted" vamps with 501 astounding (duped) abilities who think they're the chit.

Well... if the game companies were actually competent programmers, they wouldn't have these issues... sure people can modify memory since they are flash games running locally, but what kinda dumb ass game writes information to the database without verifying it... Uhh lets see.. user A is level 34 right now in this skill... were suppose to write that's he level 35 now... I think i'll issue a please refresh the game and verify it....

Bots are another story tho

Originally Posted by ditzilla

Well... if the game companies were actually competent programmers, they wouldn't have these issues... sure people can modify memory since they are flash games running locally, but what kinda dumb ass game writes information to the database without verifying it... Uhh lets see.. user A is level 34 right now in this skill... were suppose to write that's he level 35 now... I think i'll issue a please refresh the game and verify it....

Bots are another story tho

"what kinda dumb ass game writes information to the database without verifying it" .... think the company starting with Z - have read a number of employee reviews saying NOTHING IS WRITTEN DOWN, coding is a mess and constant deadlines so nothing gets fixed - only patched and that's after something new is pushed and it breaks something else . Which of course makes it even easier for cheating. Bots? whole 'nother matter and yes those do exist. Now those allegedly there's a mechanism in place for ... caught a good friend of mine. Was not botting, was just in a hurry and mouse clicking "too fast" and got banned for botting. pffft

Anyway, yes cheating goes on, probably in just about any/all the games. I just don't see the point *shrug*

I used to cheat way back when playing America's Army, because people took that game way too seriously.

People like you are what's wrong with this country... assuming you're from the United States.

"I stole that car because it cost way too much money"

What kind of lame justification is that? Liberals can justify anything I suppose.

I used to cheat way back when playing America's Army, because people took that game way too seriously.

So which one of you is the bigger douchebag? You both try to pass on your opinions as fact while contradicting each other.

I think we need another survey to figure this one out. ;)

vs.

Awww how cute, someone doesn't know what the term "pre-disposed" means.

There is a lot of fail in this thread. But what's funny to me is the rampant cheating in Words with Friends. Who cheats in a game of intelligence? Apparently, a lot.

I cheated on an IQ test once, but it was because my ex took it, and cheated, and was trying to convince me she was smarter than me.

the fucking dear in a headlights look I got from her when it turns out I have a 192 IQ was absolutely priceless, and I don't really give a shit if it was moral or not.

I did plenty of backstabbing on battle.net in starcraft 1 back in the day, because I thought it was hilarious.

A friend and I played a game with this Korean guy with over a thousand victories, and 0 losses. We dealt him a loss because I back-stabbed him. He almost beat us too despite our treachery.

Are online game cheaters also pre-disposed to being top executives at banks and other finance companies?

And isn't this the exact same comparison they were trying to make with violence in video games and violence in real life? Specifically shootings?

So we have a survey, no one is going to verify.

Then we have online games, that have almost no repercussions for cheating and if they do, they are removal from the game. Most people cheat to grief/troll, some for profit in real dollars (farm bots), and the smallest bunch do it for progression and actually care if they get caught.

Parking in handicap spaces, short term...unlikely to get caught. Long term, more likely to get caught and towed. Somewhere in between, tickets...and possibly tickets from video surveillance that is capable of seeing license plates. These people either forgot the placard, or are just flat out assholes. Just as many people use placards when there is no legal reason they should be using them...assholes as well. These guys do it for "profit" of time saved, not outrageous risk involved...but it's more of an ego thing which strolls back into troll territory.

Cheating on taxes.....now seriously who would admit to cheating on taxes in a public way? If it was even remotely possible to be tracked, you'd have to be fucking retarded. So here is where I believe the people were intentionally skewing the results because they thought it was funny. Trolls. There is absolutely no profit in admitting to it. There's profit in doing it, but if you ever get caught and chances are high you will if you ADMIT TO IT...you're going to be in a living nightmare for awhile.

So........I don't see how a reasonable person can look at the consequences of those 3 things and decide that cheating at the one with almost no consequences makes you more prone to cheat at all three. Or even look at those results as serious answers. They can't possibly be legitimate answers.....just imagine how monumentally stupid the person who cheats on their taxes is to admit to doing so and then look at how large that percentage is in that chart.

I think this survey shows that people who are dishonest in online games are probably dishonest on surveys as well. If you survey a liar, how could you look as the results as if they are legitimate?

Mostly.... but partially you did it because of some other reason, which is also probably why you did it more than once, and probably cheat on other things besides the few social games you've admitted to. I'm guessing cheating on taxes is too high risk and illegally parking is pointless. So you only cheat where you will get some reward (laugh, money whatever) and it's worth what you're risking (jail time, annoyed look or lost friend)

I'd say you've done more to confirm the survey than debuk it.

So what's a social game? Why is it so easy to cheat.. Is a social game sometthing on facebook?

It's a bummer. that I don't play social games, or does BF3 count as social? Well, technically yes... :D

Back