Soccer games on wii?

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
Seriously how the hell is this going to work?

Are there any other games people can think of that seem nearly impossible on the Wii?

From the looks of Mario strikers wii it will play allot like a normal console :rolleyes:

But for playing goalie and special moves the motion detection comes in to play.

With the nunchuck attached the wii controller is still pretty much capable of any normal console play.

Oh and :

JohnleMVP said:
Ankle strap! :p
:D

Well obviously you can do it normally... but the motion sensing is what separates the Wii from the other consoles... If I'm going to play it normally I would rather do it in 1080p...

it'd work similar to madden where you gesture for pass directions etc..

they are doing pro evo for the wii..

Overseer said:
it'd work similar to madden where you gesture for pass directions etc..

they are doing pro evo for the wii..
You throw a football...

You kick a soccer ball...

Pro evo will most probably be like the xbox 1 version just with normal d pad controls, its why it makes me laugh when die hard nintendo fans say that every single sports game will be far better on the wii due to the wiimote, i can think of a load of current great selling games out their which the wiimotes main feature is useless and an xbox 1 would be just as good for those games

VoodooChi|d said:
Well obviously you can do it normally... but the motion sensing is what separates the Wii from the other consoles... If I'm going to play it normally I would rather do it in 1080p...

No need for another PS3/Wii argument in here.

malingjc said:
No need for another PS3/Wii argument in here.

Its a valid argument, if the wii doesn't have better controls then it doesn't have any advantages over ps3 or 360. The graphical and persistent online inprovements over wii more than make up for the $10 price difference.

Rash said:
Overe here in the UK you kick a "FOOT"Ball!!

Damn straight.

Not only the UK but the world over calls the beautiful game 'football' as you play with a ball at your feet only different countries have different spellings. Teams like FC (Football Club) Barcelona or Chelsea FC, arguably the 2 biggest club teams in the world at present don't have 'soccer' in their names.

'Soccer' is an American term as you bizzarly call a game that you use your hands with 'Football'. Always wondered about that one.... :confused:

Leading bodies don't call it Soccer either. FIFA stands for 'Fédération Internationale de Football Association'

I remember reading around the time of the 2004 World Cup in the States that the Americans wanted to put zones across the field so you got a higher score the further out you were (if you scored), and to cut the game into quarters? I mean WTF? You already took a perfectly good game in Rugby and bastardised it....leave footy alone!!!

I digress however. But now you know what to call it properly ;)

Tigerblade said:
I remember reading around the time of the 2004 World Cup in the States that the Americans wanted to put zones across the field so you got a higher score the further out you were (if you scored), and to cut the game into quarters? I mean WTF? You already took a perfectly good game in Rugby and bastardised it....leave footy alone!!!

Wow calm down there...first of all the 2004 world cup wasn't held in America. There wasn't a world cup at all in 2004- 02 was held in south korea/japan and 98 was france. Anyway, research doesn't seem to befit your post anyway because what you're referring to sounds like an american indoor league. I'm guessing you just heard someone else's misinformation and got all worked up about America again.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Wow calm down there...first of all the 2004 world cup wasn't held in America. There wasn't a world cup at all in 2004- 02 was held in south korea/japan and 98 was france. Anyway, research doesn't seem to befit your post anyway because what you're referring to sounds like an american indoor league. I'm guessing you just heard someone else's misinformation and got all worked up about America again.

Actually this is only half true. There really was an official request from the sponsors (made through the USSF) of the World Cup in 1994 to the FIFA to split the game in 4 quarters to have additional commercial breaks. Of course this request was laughed at and dismissed.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
first of all the 2004 world cup wasn't held in America.

My mistake! Ooops

I mean't 1994. Jesus that is a LONG time ago......and one of the world cups we didn't attend :mad: Another team that was full of alot of individual talent that promised SO much.......

ScYcS said:
Actually this is only half true. There really was an official request from the sponsors (made through the USSF) of the World Cup in 1994 to the FIFA to split the game in 4 quarters to have additional commercial breaks. Of course this request was laughed at and dismissed.

Yeah that's the story I heard about having more advertisements......complete and utter joke.

I don't see what the problem is.

A little gesture in the direction you want to pass (harder swing = harder pass), hold A and swing to shoot, twisting the controller to give the ball spin... stab with the remote to slide/tackle, swing the controller upward to do a bicycle kick, that kinda thing... move your guy with the analog stick.

Sounds like it'd be fun.

In the case of mario strikers where the camera is from the top, it will feel natural to use your hands to direct the ball. If the camera angle was first person'ish, I can see where the wiimotes would feel awkward to use.

Rash said:
Overe here in the UK you kick a "FOOT"Ball!!

LOL!!

Over in the dominican republic.. you Kick a FUTBOL .. and you throw a FUTBOL Americano... lol..

footballs do get kicked.. punts, field goals, and kick returns

It would be nifty if you could use the joystick to move, then use the wii-mote to AIm for the person you want to kick to then hit B or A to kick the ball to that person.....that makies sense to me and then if you shake the nunchuck that would dodge left or right.

AFAIK
The Wii will have/has a "Regular pad" available. So, football games are not problem.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
footballs do get kicked.. punts, field goals, and kick returns
So about as much as a football gets thrown in soccer then? Hardly ever.

Psychotext said:
So about as much as a football gets thrown in soccer then? Hardly ever.
In a typical American football game, there are around 6-8 punt plays, 3-5 field goals, and 7-10 kickoffs.

You're looking at, on average, kicking plays accounting for about 1/5 of all plays.

kumquat said:
In a typical American football game, there are around 6-8 punt plays, 3-5 field goals, and 7-10 kickoffs.

You're looking at, on average, kicking plays accounting for about 1/5 of all plays.
So like I said... about as many as in soccer then. Face it, it's a stupid name for a game you play 80% of with your hands... :p

Psychotext said:
So like I said... about as many as in soccer then. Face it, it's a stupid name for a game you play 80% of with your hands... :p
Well, depends on the player. Kickers play almost 100% with their feet and everyone else plays pretty much 100% with their hands ;)

Psychotext said:

LOL!!!

yea.. i must agree...

where did the name soccer come from anyway??

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
LOL!!!

yea.. i must agree...

where did the name soccer come from anyway??
From dictionary.com:

"From alteration of assoc., abbreviation of association football."

kumquat said:
I don't see what the problem is.

A little gesture in the direction you want to pass (harder swing = harder pass), hold A and swing to shoot, twisting the controller to give the ball spin... stab with the remote to slide/tackle, swing the controller upward to do a bicycle kick, that kinda thing... move your guy with the analog stick.

Sounds like it'd be fun.
Fun my ass, that hardly makes fifa innovative with a wiimote, you cant have a serious game of fifa like that. Just admit that the wiimotes main function is gonna be shite for most serious sports games

Rash said:
Fun my ass, that hardly makes fifa innovative with a wiimote, you cant have a serious game of fifa like that. Just admit that the wiimotes main function is gonna be shite for most serious sports games
I guess you win.

:(

Rash said:

While this is perhaps overly aggressive enough to rile some people up :) I'm gonna have to agree on this one. Just because its different doesn't make it better. There's no way that would be as accurate or quick as a controller.

I know what soccer is called everywhere else. I played it most of my life.

Most people on this board are Americans so I called it what most people here would know.

If I call it football everyone assumes Madden.

You people who are saying you an control it with your hands are missing the point... you don't kick a soccer ball (football, futbol, etc.) with your hands and that's not really intuitive.

I'm not starting a debate about Wii vs. any other system but this is certainly a fault of the system claiming enhanced immersion with the game...

Maybe they'll have a leg strap for it or something. =) But you'd still need the nunchuck to control the player movement etc.

Uh, motion-sensitive controls doesn't mean you need to be using the same body part as the character on the screen.

kumquat said:
Uh, motion-sensitive controls doesn't mean you need to be using the same body part as the character on the screen.
No shit... but that is not intuitive...

It would be pretty weird swinging my arm simulating a kick

No ones forcing you to play it on Wii, either. No one ever said the Wii remote was the be-all end-all for every single game in existence. I have no problem flicking for a kick rather than pressing a button. Not that I'd ever bother with a sports game aside from Wii-sports (though Madden sounds tempting...and I hate USFootball).

Settle down people... the Wii is not your mom or little sister... you don't have to defend it like so.

It doesn't matter if people are forcing me to play it or not... I like soccer games but don't think the Wii would work very well to play one...

you know every game doesn't have to use the motion sensing abilities either?

They could use it at certain times such as during overtime as the goalie. Regular controls for movement and kicking. Like someone said: It's not meant to be-all end-all. Only to add a extra level.

stabilep said:
It would be nifty if you could use the joystick to move, then use the wii-mote to AIm for the person you want to kick to then hit B or A to kick the ball to that person.....that makies sense to me and then if you shake the nunchuck that would dodge left or right.

that sounds like it would work quite well.

Back