So...

COKE CAN

Limp Gawd
The in-laws have managed to destroy Windows no matter how well I protect it. Mom-in-law has a way of getting a virus or rolling the system back and killing the programs that are installed, or doing something to completely FUBAR the system.

I've done everything I can to possibly prevent her (mainly) from screwing it up, but she always finds a way.

So, I have one last option...

Install Ubuntu!

She FUBARed the HDD so I have a new one being shipped from NewEgg. When that comes in, they will be getting a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.04.

They only use it for the web and office, so OpenOffice and Mozilla will do what they need.

Hopefully this will be the end of my troubles!

how did she fubar the hdd?

why not use a group policy to define what can and cannot be done on the computer?

how did she fubar the hdd?

why not use a group policy to define what can and cannot be done on the computer?

Viruses I believe finally killed the HDD. She rolled the computer back to the original date. Then Symantec quit working. She keeps downloading images from the web for her myspace. I told her to stop, but she doesn't listen. I don't have the time or the experience with group policy, so I am hoping Ubuntu will help.

Alternately you can just install deep-freeze ;) :p

That said, I'm going to be doing the same thing on my mom's computer - the only issue that we're having is finding a time for me to install it. She's seen Ubuntu on one of my home PCs and fell in love with compiz and, based on it and my talking about Ubuntu generally, wants to move to linux in the hopes it will increase her productivity.

It sounds like a good idea from one angle. I guess a person can break anything if they try hard enough though.

Yea, I hope this works

Oh - I meant to ask if there was a reason why you couldn't just sandbox her account by making her a user, and not letting her know either the power-user or admin accounts? A couple buddies of mine have done this with their folks and there are rarely any issues.

Back