So, you should always measure....

DogsofJune

Supreme [H]ardness
I had a system all setup in an ol Aopen case circa 1999, 2000. Great case. Huge, heavy, not terribly roomy even for a server case. In it I stuffed a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 mini-itx mobo with a 4770k and 16 gig of gskill ram with two WD 2 TB and one HGST 4 TB drive for some Linux Plex whore action. Laughable, a tiny board in this huge case and it was cramped like you wouldn't believe.
Great system, been a fun linux gamer too.

At the time, the Aopen case was there, I threw in the hardware, got it going and all was well, with the exception of, the heatsink and fan stuck out to far and I couldn't put the side back on the case...... So I dealt with it awhile. ADD kicked in and whispered, "Fix that shit", heavy drinking may have been involved.... but then I am a product of the very early 70's.

So, an outstanding member here on the forum had a Corsair Carbide Air 240 for a great price. I love the case. I bought it, and it sat for a bit. I had delusions that maybe I would replace my X79 box with a 4820K in it and utilize this case.

But life, such as it is, had other ideas. No Mega millions, no Threadripper 2990W, just the same ol stuff with no lube....

Being that the Corsair 240 only accommodates mini-itx or matx max, it seemed prudent to stuff the Linux guts into it. Being that I have some fucked up lung disease and have been fired recently, I felt now was a good time to swap stuff between cases.
Lots of time on my hands...... I love Suicide Girls, BTW.....

So, after all my efforts, I am rewarded with,,,,,

A Hatred of Coolermaster heatsinks......

Attachments

• IMG_20181026_105015.jpg
    IMG_20181026_105015.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181026_105026.jpg
    IMG_20181026_105026.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 0
That reminds me of my YY-0221 case and when I bought a tall Thermaltake cooler. Cooler was so tall that I couldn't put the side panel on.
Called up a friend who had just bought a plasma cutter since I was having no joy using an air grinder to cut a square hole in the really thick steel side panel.

This pic is when I had already swapped to a different board and used the stock Intel cooler but you can see the square hole cut into the side panel.
cube-case.jpg

this was the old setup with the really tall cooler,
p4p800se.jpg

Crazy thing is, is this is the first air cooled system I have done in several years. I may have a Swiftech block that will fit and cobble a water cooling together.
Sad thing is, I have to support the heatsink now to keep an even seating otherwise I see 60c on a couple of cores of the processor. The weight pulls it down..

Fuckin' Coolermaster heatsink. To big, doesn't fit flush, and is not conducive to my ADD..... My mental stability is at stake..... I should sue

that Air 240 case can sit on it's side you know, won't have to support the cooler then since it will be vertical.

Just pretend there's an extremely clear glass window there, that also defies physics by allowing the cooler to pass through it while remaining solid.

Found an AIO solution in storage that should work.
Have to dig up a fan controller as well. Mobo only has two fan headers.

Always plan ahead.

Used the air 740 in my last build. Lol problem is even with a huge cooler the inside just looks empty.

Back