Votes: 18 19.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 67.0%
  • Trading in my XBONER for the S

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Only interested in the controller

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
I agree totally. I got it on launch day and its been sitting about a foot away from me near my PC because I'm doing my HT setup. I've played a few games and I haven't heard the fan yet. Its way quieter then the PS4 by a mile. Are saying the internal drive load times are faster then your external? I haven't timed it but for the games I've tried the loading seem just as fast as the internal for me.

My only real complaint is I would've liked it to have been black and have the kinect port because I do like the kinect for redeeming codes because I'm lazy lol. But if they implement a barcode scanner into the smartglass app then I'll be fine with no kinect anymore lol. I do like the feel of the controller, my hands get sweaty so the textured grips are nice.
I'm using the same raid 0 external I used on my day one unit. The system OS is faster I still have my two launch units in other rooms. Some games are noticeably smoother on it. Call Microsoft and get your free Kinect adapter I call Thursday and it will be here on Saturday. My only issue is I have my external drive and the USB tv tuner so I'm going to see if I can use a powered USB 3 hub for Kinect and the tuner. Since the Kinect port is gone.

BTW you can redeem codes from the Xbox one phone app now

I'm using the same raid 0 external I used on my day one unit. The system OS is faster I still have my two launch units in other rooms. Some games are noticeably smoother on it. Call Microsoft and get your free Kinect adapter I call Thursday and it will be here on Saturday. My only issue is I have my external drive and the USB tv tuner so I'm going to see if I can use a powered USB 3 hub for Kinect and the tuner. Since the Kinect port is gone.

BTW you can redeem codes from the Xbox one phone app now

I got my adapter coming already. The xbox app to redeem a code you still have to put in the 25 digit code at the moment. I'm waiting for them to add barcode and QR code scanning for it then I'll no need for the kinect. No question I do notice the OS is faster and way more responsive.

The UI feels snappier on the Xbox One S. But I was planning on getting another Xbox One for my kids so getting instead I got myself an Xbox One S and gave them my old one. I do notice load times seem to be much faster on the internal hard drive of the Xbox One S compared to the original. It seems to be as fast as the external so now I'm able to ditch the external hard drive now. Unless you have a 4k TV and or plan on watching 4k blu rays its probably better to wait on the scorpio. I do plan on getting a 4k TV in the next few weeks so the Xbox one S is going to the best option for me when it comes to that.

I have to think the CPU of the scorpio is going to be based on zen architecture so its gonna have a huge improvement on the IPC even if the the clock speed isn't increased. Even though personally I think the clock speed is going to be higher then the current 1.75GHz. I think that makes the UI and all the features faster and snappier. I just hope the internal drive can be replaced or they put the OS in flash memory.

I have a 4K TV already, but I am going to wait for Scorpio. It just seems silly not to especially if you already have a Xbox One. I have seen a LOT of comparison videos with the S and the original and the difference is not worth the cost. Plus, I am perfectly fine with my Xbox One for now. I can almost guarantee you will probably want to upgrade again with the Scorpio comes out. I imagine if anything ti'll maybe be $500 as opposed to $400 so that way the 2TB Xbox One S will still be somewhat relevant. We will have to wait and see. As far as the 4K justification; I bought a Nvidia Shield TV to play 4K content and guess what, I never used it. There simply isn't enough 4K content out there other than YouTube videos of nature scenes. I want to start buying 4K Blu Rays but even those are very very limited is selection which is perplexing to me since 4K TVs have been very affordable for well over a year now and we still are in a 4K drought.

Regardless, I am happy with the Xbox One for now and see no reason whatsoever to get a S. I had it preordered when it first came out, but after I heard of Scorpio I immediately cancelled it. Between the PS4, my new computer rig, and the Xbox I am pretty happy with them for now. I can't wait to see the Scorpio though. Super excited for it actually. Just thinking about the UI being fast and zippy is enough to get me to purchase one. Starting chats, opening up snapped apps is all painfully slow but I am excited to see what the new one will be capable of. The graphics improvement is also exciting, but I already game on a 4K monitor to I doubt we'll be seeing many 4K 60fps games on the Scorpio (if at all).

I just got the Xbone S controller for use on a Win10 PC and Android phone. I have the elite as well as the wireless dongle as well.
Audio is tested through 3.5mm combo jack.

1. Bluetooth mode sucks. Audio through Bluetooth is poor.
2. Android can't connect to the xbone s controller as a full dac. MS only allowed for call audio.
3. There's less hiss than the older Xbone controller and to the Elite controller
4. Audio quality through the dongle is actually pretty decent.
5. USB OTG connection to android device doesn't work.
6. You need to reboot the controller to switch from the 2.4GHz mode over to Bluetooth pairing.

Conclusion: The wireless RF mode is the only way to go with this controller. Audio output is actually decent and I can treat this as a wireless DAC that does no virtual surround sound in itself.

I have a 4K TV already, but I am going to wait for Scorpio. It just seems silly not to especially if you already have a Xbox One. I have seen a LOT of comparison videos with the S and the original and the difference is not worth the cost. Plus, I am perfectly fine with my Xbox One for now. I can almost guarantee you will probably want to upgrade again with the Scorpio comes out. I imagine if anything ti'll maybe be $500 as opposed to $400 so that way the 2TB Xbox One S will still be somewhat relevant. We will have to wait and see. As far as the 4K justification; I bought a Nvidia Shield TV to play 4K content and guess what, I never used it. There simply isn't enough 4K content out there other than YouTube videos of nature scenes. I want to start buying 4K Blu Rays but even those are very very limited is selection which is perplexing to me since 4K TVs have been very affordable for well over a year now and we still are in a 4K drought.

Regardless, I am happy with the Xbox One for now and see no reason whatsoever to get a S. I had it preordered when it first came out, but after I heard of Scorpio I immediately cancelled it. Between the PS4, my new computer rig, and the Xbox I am pretty happy with them for now. I can't wait to see the Scorpio though. Super excited for it actually. Just thinking about the UI being fast and zippy is enough to get me to purchase one. Starting chats, opening up snapped apps is all painfully slow but I am excited to see what the new one will be capable of. The graphics improvement is also exciting, but I already game on a 4K monitor to I doubt we'll be seeing many 4K 60fps games on the Scorpio (if at all).

HDR was probably the biggest factor for me. I plan on getting the Vizio P series in the next few weeks. I was planning to get an Elite XB1 instead but the HDR support swayed me. I was originally planning on just getting the 500GB model but I got impatient and got the 2TB model on launch day.

I have a 4k TV connected to my PC. Having tested different resolutions. I'll be fine with 1440p@60fps upscaled to 4k on scorpio. I just tested few games at 1440p like Shadow of Mordor and Sleeping dogs and thought it great. The difference between 1440p and native 4k was minimal.

I just got the Xbone S controller for use on a Win10 PC and Android phone. I have the elite as well as the wireless dongle as well.
Audio is tested through 3.5mm combo jack.

Conclusion: The wireless RF mode is the only way to go with this controller. Audio output is actually decent and I can treat this as a wireless DAC that does no virtual surround sound in itself.

Notice any difference with responsiveness, input drops, etc. via bluetooth? I don't really care about audio, but kinda like being able to use PS4 and Xbox One controllers together via Bluetooth.

Notice any difference with responsiveness, input drops, etc. via bluetooth? I don't really care about audio, but kinda like being able to use PS4 and Xbox One controllers together via Bluetooth.

1. Doesn't work well with PS4 from all report. It can be recognized by the PS4 however.
2. BT response on my phone is better than with my PC. Could be due to receiver end. Both are inferior to the 2.4GHz connection.

1. Doesn't work well with PS4 from all report. It can be recognized by the PS4 however.
2. BT response on my phone is better than with my PC. Could be due to receiver end. Both are inferior to the 2.4GHz connection.

I actually meant using the PS4 and Xbox One controllers at the same time via a PC USB Bluetooth. Mainly for fighting games where you're using 2 controllers at once.
Seemed like a neat way to handle connecting a pile of controllers for Street Fighter and Tekken.

I actually meant using the PS4 and Xbox One controllers at the same time via a PC USB Bluetooth. Mainly for fighting games where you're using 2 controllers at once.
Seemed like a neat way to handle connecting a pile of controllers for Street Fighter and Tekken.

I don't know how that goes because I don't play splitscreen or fighting game. However, both DS4 and Xbox one controller can be paired just fine at the same time.
I have read that you can only connect 1 Xbox controller to the PC through Bluetooth though. You need the dongle if you want to connect several controllers.

Oh. I am testing yet again.

You don't need to restart your controller to switch between the 2.4GHz and the Bluetooth, but you need to pair your controller with the dongle again. It's kind of annoying. You are best to shut bluetooth off if you have the dongle.

No, however the console is perhaps the most beautiful console ever made. I am passing on the S and sticking with my PC and likely will get a NX to complement and contrast my gaming experiences.

Might.. MIGHT look at a Scorpio next year and have zero interest in a PS4 Neo if it releases this year with no CPU upgrade (heavily rumored).

Pulled the trigger and bought the S, but then my last console was an early 360.
I have a 42" Wasabi 4K Freesync for my PC rig and will play a few disks on it but plan to upgrade my older 55" Vizio 1080p to a new Samsung 65" 4K HDR in the next few months.
I forgot how fun it was to game in the living room, I also now remember how much I suck at FPS with a controller, gotta have a mouse and keyboard. Sports and racing a a blast though, and third person is ok, just need to play more to get better.
All in all I am happy with the money spent.

HDR was probably the biggest factor for me. I plan on getting the Vizio P series in the next few weeks. I was planning to get an Elite XB1 instead but the HDR support swayed me. I was originally planning on just getting the 500GB model but I got impatient and got the 2TB model on launch day.

I have a 4k TV connected to my PC. Having tested different resolutions. I'll be fine with 1440p@60fps upscaled to 4k on scorpio. I just tested few games at 1440p like Shadow of Mordor and Sleeping dogs and thought it great. The difference between 1440p and native 4k was minimal.

Post how well you like the P series, pro reviews are great but owner reviews are very mixed. I really like my 1080 Vizio with full led zone backlighting but side by side I think the new Samsung 65k8000 looks better. Same price and I am not sure I am ready for all menus only on my phone or tablet...

Post how well you like the P series, pro reviews are great but owner reviews are very mixed. I really like my 1080 Vizio with full led zone backlighting but side by side I think the new Samsung 65k8000 looks better. Same price and I am not sure I am ready for all menus only on my phone or tablet...

I've had the P series for a few days now. As far as picture quality its pretty good. I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma the UT50 and I find the blacks are comparable which is nice. Also the P series significantly brighter. I pretty much can see all the issues that have been said in the reviews. In some scenes I can see the vertical bands. As far as using a tablet its not too bad. It uses IR for things like power, volume, and inputs. So if you use something like HTPC or STB to consume content like TVs there is minimal difference. You have to use a tablet if you want to use things like netflix which after a little while you get used to it.

Here are some differences though to consider. The P series supports Dolby Vision as well as HDR 10 now. So you're covered for both HDR formats. The P series has a FALD which can produce slightly better black levels which would make it better for movies. The P series would also be a better option if you want 1080p@120hz for PC games.

The samsung at the moment is probably better for games because it does have a lower input lag with HDR content by a significant amount. That is only going by the reviews. There aren't any HDR games out so its possible that Vizio could have a firmware update to address it before it becomes an issue.

I am so out of the current console realm. Last console was a PS3. Played Gran Turismo and GTA IV (Think it was 4) exclusively with the occasional BR.

Looking at getting one for some quick fun now and then. Have kids and PC gaming for me is more involved and occurs left. Thinking an Xbox with the Kinnect would be fun for the little ones. Plus Forza looks like it would satisfy my driving itch.

Dont even have a 4K TV (yet). Good time to get an S?

I am so out of the current console realm. Last console was a PS3. Played Gran Turismo and GTA IV (Think it was 4) exclusively with the occasional BR.

Looking at getting one for some quick fun now and then. Have kids and PC gaming for me is more involved and occurs left. Thinking an Xbox with the Kinnect would be fun for the little ones. Plus Forza looks like it would satisfy my driving itch.

Dont even have a 4K TV (yet). Good time to get an S?

Don't bother with Kinect, even for kids.

Don't bother with Kinect, even for kids.

Any specific reason? Bad implementation or poor choices for use?

Just asking because at the mall my 3yo likes to go to the microsoft store so he can dance on the xbox/kinnect set up in front of the store. Seems okay for that and he enjoys it. Dont really know what else it would be for other than spying on us.

Any specific reason? Bad implementation or poor choices for use?

Just asking because at the mall my 3yo likes to go to the microsoft store so he can dance on the xbox/kinnect set up in front of the store. Seems okay for that and he enjoys it. Dont really know what else it would be for other than spying on us.

Dearth of software, really. If you're okay with it being used for maybe a week or two, and then using it for the voice commands after that, then you won't feel like it's a total waste. Microsoft has basically abandoned it.

Dearth of software, really. If you're okay with it being used for maybe a week or two, and then using it for the voice commands after that, then you won't feel like it's a total waste. Microsoft has basically abandoned it.

Well damn, good to know. Got to do some more research. Thanks for the heads up.

Think I still want the console... Hate not waiting for the new one, but with nothing at present, it should do fine.

Well damn, good to know. Got to do some more research. Thanks for the heads up.

Think I still want the console... Hate not waiting for the new one, but with nothing at present, it should do fine.
That, plus the S doesn't natively support the Kinect anymore. You'll need to buy the USB adapter for it to work.

That, plus the S doesn't natively support the Kinect anymore. You'll need to buy the USB adapter for it to work.

You get all excited you freed up a a usb port because you don't need external storage anymore and then it instantly gets used for the kinect adaptor and you have to run separate power to brick for the adaptor.

You get all excited you freed up a a usb port because you don't need external storage anymore and then it instantly gets used for the kinect adaptor and you have to run separate power to brick for the adaptor.

Ha, forget that. Looking like Scorpio comes out in 2017 anyway, silly to commit now. I assume its 12+ months away, but still.

I was thinking the kinnect would be fun, but the more I find out it sounds like it EOL. Just show how out of the loop I am in console land.

Interesting about the Kinect. I suppose that's probably the full-on death of it. Pretty sad thinking back to those impressive demos involving driving and shifting gears.
Mine got used for Kinect Adventures (not a bad game, really), the UFC workout game, and yelling at my system to turn off and on.
IMO, it's just another case of never pushing a haves and have-nots. It never works. The instant they sold a cheaper version of the system without it, the writing was on the wall.

If you own an S and want to use a Kinect know this to that with the USB adapter the Kinect's IR does not work anymore. this is why the system has built in IR now. I still use mine for chat and voice commands.

Bought a Samsung UN65K8000 and I am loving it with the Xbox One S. Struggled with a Vizio P65, but went Samsung.
Games look great (pre-ordered Forza Horizon 3 for HDR), movies are fantastic and even upscaled content looks pretty good.

My wife will never believe me but while hooking everything up and arranging cables my Onkyo PR-SC5507 decided to take a sh^t and loose all settings and functionality requiring a hard reset every time I power up. So it stays on until my Yamaha CX-A5100 gets here.

Man am broke, maybe I can charge to watch 4K and play Xbox.....1st world problems...

Wallmart has them in stock white slims along with a Elite controller which I might pick up next payday.

20160928_172e0.jpg
Broke down and got one.. Love it. Mainly because i had nothing to take advantage of my 4k TV.

Last edited:
I can't decide if I should get the new One S or the PS4 Pro. The 2TB One S is really tempting. I have a 4k TV w/HDR but the PS4 Pro is looking more and more like a limp noodle to me, wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to get the Xbone. What do you guys think?

Two reasons why i upgraded one of my xb1's to the one s. XBOX live, i am totally committed and invested to their ecosystem (tons of digital downloads and all of my friends have an xbox 1).
and 2, i have a 4k tv, and one thing the one s can do is play 4k blu ray discs, in the meantime everything is upscaled to 4k. Not much of a visual difference though outside of 4k movies. The home screen UI looks much crisper though.

I got my Gears 4 edition on Monday. It's a thing of beauty. Love the smaller size, and it seems to run a lot better than the original. It may be smaller, but it is heavier since the power supply is internal now. Now I just need to get myself a LG OLED55C6P.

Was going to. But then MS brought that "Xbox anywhere" project and it let me play Gears and Forza on PC. Next Halo games will probably also end up on PC, so the only real reason to get it would be to play Halo Master Collection and older Forza games.

Also I don't have yet 4K tv, so no need for UHD player. I figure, that by the time my FHD LG screen breaks, and I get the 4K, then UHD players will be cheaper than S.

I rather save the money from S and wait and see how Scorpio is shaping and will it get some good exclusives.

Back