So will the 78xx's actually appear monday?

LordCalin

Gawd
I've been checking both distributors, and retailers 4 times a day every day since march 5th waiting to see any sign of the cards .. not expecting stock but at least some not available yet but here's the pricing item listings, and .... .nothing :| no sign, no whimper, if it was a hard launch I could understand, but the card was launched so there is no reason for this void of information.

I'm guessing this means monday won't see the cards :(

That's the word on the street. I bet you will be able to get one if you wait sunday night for them to show up. Also, 7970 stock has pretty much settled down, they aren't hard to get anymore, so that might be a good sign re production in general.

Preview cards have been out for a couple weeks now, so it should be any day now.

7850s and 7870s have been on sale in Australia for a while. Don't have any links handy, but trust me. :)

yes some retailers in Aus are selling the cards. They might get a slap from Amd, for not waiting until official launch date.

For U.S. based vendors they should start popping anytime from now to monday. The 7850 is available at newegg, granted only the MSI twin cooler one.

Last edited:
hmms which 2 to order. Leaning towards the MSI. I will just have to wait for reviews though.

well that's a relief to see.... hopefully that means come monday they'll be here in canada aswell. Tho not seeing anything from XFX or Sapphire yet

well that's a relief to see.... hopefully that means come monday they'll be here in canada aswell. Tho not seeing anything from XFX or Sapphire yet

From the pictures i have seen it looks like the gigabyte or the MSI are the best options. this is based purely on looks alone, but hopefully when they officially release we will see some reviews of the different models.

I currently ready to place an order for 2 gigabyte 7870's. I just want some confirmation that these are the best models to go with first.

Damn it, i just checked my case and only room for up to 10 inch video card. That limits my options for which 7870 I can get.

Damn it, i just checked my case and only room for up to 10 inch video card. That limits my options for which 7870 I can get.

I know the feeling. I'm also limited to standard-width (can't have anything hanging over the card edge, or at least not more than 1/8"), and I also need the plugs at the back of the card. A forced rear-exhaust is a HUGE plus as well for my case.

A 7850 would fit all of those requirements (except rear-exhaust which would be a bummer to lose), except I still have the feeling I want something more powerful to upgrade to from my OC'd GTX 460. If a 7870 existed that met my needs, I'd order one today. I guess I'll have to wait to see what kinds of custom boards come out (ideally w/ power plugs on back of card). Otherwise I'm limited to a 7850 or maybe whatever the green team might release in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Yeah, i don't think any 7870 matches those requirements.

I was leaning towards picking up the gigabyte or sapphire 7870 but looks like they are over 10 inches. I wish someone would measure them though so I could know for sure.

Yeah, i don't think any 7870 matches those requirements.

I was leaning towards picking up the gigabyte or sapphire 7870 but looks like they are over 10 inches. I wish someone would measure them though so I could know for sure.

The reference 7870 design is a hair under 10 inchs long. 9 3/4" to be exact. However it does have two top mount 6 pin connectors.

The reference 7850 is small at 8 1/4" long with a single 6 pin connector at the back of the card (not top mounted)

I'm not sure of the length on the custom non reference designs, It does look that the gigabyte and msi are a bit longer than the reference design. However the His, Powercolor and sapphire cards all look to be reference length. Give it until Monday and you will prolly see reviews popping up of all the different variants.

http://www./forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/52165-amd-radeon-hd-7870-hd-7850-review-5.html

Hmm, is the gigabyte 7870 using the same heatsink and fan as the 7950? They look very similar

The gigabyte 7950 is 10.6 inches long according to review.

Image_02.jpg

gigabyte-hd-7870-OC-a.jpg

I may get 2 of these and crossfire for BF3 at 2560x1440. The 7870 is supposed to be faster than 560TI 2GB cards correct?

I may get 2 of these and crossfire for BF3 at 2560x1440. The 7870 is supposed to be faster than 560TI 2GB cards correct?

YES. the 7870 is faster than the gtx 570, and a small % (4-5%) slower than a 580.

the 7870 crushes a 560 ti. 7870's in crossfire very well could best two 580's in sli. (thanks to their 2gb v-ram vs the 1.5gb of the 580.)

Even though I just bought myself a 7750 (needed something cheap to replace my 9600GT), I'm itching to pick up a PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 when it lands...

If only the 7800s were available when I needed a card!

If only the 7800s were available when I needed a card!

Video cards are not needs. You could have been patient and waited. :)

I'd sell your HD7750 ASAP to try to get back some of that money to put towards a better video card.

Hum. I'm not sure what to get 2 7950 powercolor pcs+ or powercolor 7870 pcs+ for 2560x1440 and bf3. I would not use any AA, just FXAA and playing at HIGH would be fine. I would not need ultra setting. Two 7870's would be about $700 and 2 7950's would be about $1000

Video cards are not needs. You could have been patient and waited. :)

I'd sell your HD7750 ASAP to try to get back some of that money to put towards a better video card.

Actually, I did need a new card, my old 9600GT (almost 6 years old) won't even let me play SSFIV without overheating (yes, I tried cleaning out the HSF and replacing the TIM).

Besides, if I wait a bit the 7800s will come down in price. I was able to score my 7750 for $100+ shipping.

isn't 100$ the retail price of the 7750 though.

i see them listed on new egg for that much. Not to bust your bubble or anything.

Hum. I'm not sure what to get 2 7950 powercolor pcs+ or powercolor 7870 pcs+ for 2560x1440 and bf3. I would not use any AA, just FXAA and playing at HIGH would be fine. I would not need ultra setting. Two 7870's would be about $700 and 2 7950's would be about $1000

go with a single 7870 and then get a second one later when kepler decides to show its face.. with a decent overclock a single 7870 should have no problem with that resolution since you'll have AA off and most likely have motion blur turned off for online play which should free up some performance.

I'll wait till 9pm tonight and see if Newegg or any other places have them for sale..

Back