So why don't I give a rat's tail about Win 11?

A word of caution when disabling services in windoze as dependencies can get a bit feisty when not met. At least they have in the past for me.

A word of caution when disabling services in windoze as dependencies can get a bit feisty when not met. At least they have in the past for me.
Yes Microsoft has even intentionally made sure that disabling certain services will break seemingly unrelated things.

Yes Microsoft has even intentionally made sure that disabling certain services will break seemingly unrelated things.
Actually, what concerns me the most is all the damn Microsoft telemetry.

It's part of the scheme. They made sure that if you try to disable the telemetry you will kill essential services and cripple the system. MS is pure evil just like Google.

It's part of the scheme. They made sure that if you try to disable the telemetry you will kill essential services and cripple the system. MS is pure evil just like Google.
I agree that MS is pure evil, but Google is "eviler." Google is sucking the life blood out of many industries. Microsoft can't do that, fortunately.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Even their COMMAND-LINE compiler/development tools phone home now. Sometimes you can opt-out by setting an obscure environment variable. Example:
DOTNET_CLI_TELEMETRY_OPTOUT=1

Random example of how ridiculous the situation has become:
.NET core should not SPY on users by default

The VC++ compiler toolchain silently launches "vctip.exe".

Those are just arbitrary examples. The spyware components are probably integrated into nearly every process in the OS by now.

If one can't trust his OS to at least TRY to act in his best interest, it's time to move on.

Even their COMMAND-LINE compiler/development tools phone home now. Sometimes you can opt-out by setting an obscure environment variable. Example:

Random example of how ridiculous the situation has become:
.NET core should not SPY on users by default

The VC++ compiler toolchain silently launches "vctip.exe".

Those are just arbitrary examples. The spyware components are probably integrated into nearly every process in the OS by now.

If one can't trust his OS to at least TRY to act in his best interest, it's time to move on.
You are friggin' kidding, aren't you? :wtf: No? :mad: This is worse than bad. :yuck:

Code:

I don't know if I should be flattered or creeped out.

Microsoft's and Google's et al jobs would be much easier if I could just tick a checkbox with "I'm a frugal DIY weirdo who probably won't buy 99% of what's being advertised" and another saying "I'm not a terrorist".

Code:

I don't know if I should be flattered or creeped out.
Either emotion would be better than complete indifference and apathy, which seems to be the norm.

Don't forget:
Code:
POWERSHELL_TELEMETRY_OPTOUT=1
VSCMD_SKIP_SENDTELEMETRY=1
☎️
Microsoft's and Google's et al jobs would be much easier if I could just tick a checkbox with "I'm a frugal DIY weirdo who probably won't buy 99% of what's being advertised" and another saying "I'm not a terrorist".
The latter already offers me an "I'm not a robot" checkbox followed by some time-wasting puzzles to solve. You may soon get your wish...

☑️ I am not a terrorist.

Last edited:
Considering everything at this point is a PS wrapped in a pretty GUI for clicky-clicky types, they never will. You (wonderfully) can live in a CLI almost the entire time working in a Windows env at this point. About time they caught up to the rest of the world.

lol "caught up" to CLI?! most of the world moved away from CLI in the 90s. it has its place, in servers. normal people do not use CLI.
I guess you missed my point. The charge was made they MS will do away with it, but they have done the opposite, and most things can now be done through a CLI as has been the case in Linux for ages. It's a positive thing outside of a game console or an iPhone.

nah. usually people with a chip on their shoulder or "infrastructure" guys.

Oh really? Install winget and then install programs at the command line, or at least ones available through it. It is a repository and works without a bunch of clicks.

nah. usually people with a chip on their shoulder or "infrastructure" guys.
Having used the Xerox Star at work (long story not worth telling), I got started with GUIs during the DOS days. Guess which one I preferred. It wasn't the OS on my IBM PC.

Last edited:
I've jumped to Win11 and I'm not going back. There is so little perceivable difference between 10 and 11, I can't be bothered to spend the 10 minutes rolling back.

This is post #777 for me. I'm never posting again. Farewell, [H]'ers!

This is post #777 for me. I'm never posting again. Farewell, [H]'ers!
1628535356515.png

whoops ;)

i still havent had any major issues with 11. i think ive had one random green screen/reboot.

Back