So who's HAPPY with Vista SP1?!

Could the language packs take any longer to uninstall? I have a few of them and it may takes hours... I dont get why.

I downloaded the multi-language file from Technet and attempted to install it on my dual boot Asus P5B. It took about an hour and three reboots and in the end it reported that it did not install, with no reason given. The installer reversed itself and put all original files back in place. Must be a driver issue

Hell yeah!! Vista SP1 x64 Ultimate is chok-full of °° []D [] []\/[] []D [] []\[] °° goodness!!

It runs like a dream!! even with only 4GiB

I'll never load XP again (well on this pc, not sure if Vista is suited for my Pentium 4 or Sempron)

Although... is it tooo much to ask for a higher-definition CHARMAP ???? i'm squinting like hell over here lookin for something to make a balloon C with...

I noticed in Vista SP1 32bit 4GB installed RAM now actually shows 4GB instead of 3.x GB now, but does Vista 32bit SP1 actually use 4GB of ram or just displays the info correctly?

I just noticed that on my new Dell laptop. I hope it was just a SP1 issue that MS fixed. Saves me a phone call to DellHell.

Other than having to download the 65ish MB with my dial-up connection, not a single issue installing and running it.

Just one question to all you 32-bit Vista users.....

Why on earth are you installing 32-bit Vista??? I mean it's not like its a compatibility issue.. if a program you used on XP doesn't work on 64-bit Vista, it won't work on 32-bit Vista... then drivers, if you vendor has not provided 64-bit drivers for your old hardware, odds are they haven't provided 32-bit drivers either.. i just don't get it...

Could someone that knows the difference, please tell me if there are any benefits to a 32-bit OS, or any reason to use one (i cant see Vista running well enough on pre 64-bit hardware anyways)?? I'd like to be more informed.

installed SP1 on 2 PCs my desktop running x64 and my laptop running x32 and both machines installed without issues.

No complaints with SP1 here! Why would there be? It does what it said it would.

Just one question to all you 32-bit Vista users.....

Why on earth are you installing 32-bit Vista??? I mean it's not like its a compatibility issue.. if a program you used on XP doesn't work on 64-bit Vista, it won't work on 32-bit Vista... then drivers, if you vendor has not provided 64-bit drivers for your old hardware, odds are they haven't provided 32-bit drivers either.. i just don't get it...

Could someone that knows the difference, please tell me if there are any benefits to a 32-bit OS, or any reason to use one (i cant see Vista running well enough on pre 64-bit hardware anyways)?? I'd like to be more informed.

Anyone who uses 32 bit does it solely for compatibility. There is still some hardware w/o proper 64 bit drivers, and there are a few (very few) apps that could have trouble running on 64. But as far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't fall into one of those two situations, and is still using 32 is being stupid.

Installed SP1 on Ultimate x32 yesterday. No problems so far. Did it through Windows Update so it only had to download about 70MB and then install. Took about 90mins, including download time (which seemed to be really slow, maybe just congestion if everyone was doing it at the same time).

Going to isntall it on a couple of Business x32 machines later, see how that goes.

Got it to install. System seems to be running smoother and more stable. Very pleased. :)
Took about 20 mins to fully install/configure...

had it the day after they announced sp1. i have it on 3xVista64, 1xVista32. they all work fine... BUT i didn't notice any 'performance increases' @all. i never had any file transfer issues anyways without SP1. installing it was JUST BECAUSE it's sp1.

now i want to slipstream sp1 across my 32 and 64 binaries. how do i do that? i've read through some of the msfn forums and man it sounds COMPLICATED! much more so than xpp.

It just displays the info correctly. It will not use all 4GB of installed RAM.

Yes; it's either a fix if you think that it should show the installed RAM, or it's now broken if you think it should show the usable RAM. The upshot of this is probably going to be a dramatic decrease in people saying "I can't see all my 4GB!" - not because anything's changed but because they're less likely to notice.

now i want to slipstream sp1 across my 32 and 64 binaries. how do i do that? i've read through some of the msfn forums and man it sounds COMPLICATED! much more so than xpp.

There is no supported way to slipstream SP1; any way of integrating it is third-party and unsupported.

hey, when i check my computer in control panel it doesn't indicate i have sp1 installed but i don't have any new updates when i click windows update, does that mean i have sp1 and it's just not showing?

I ran the betas of SP1 and had no problems. Uninstalled that and upgraded to the final release and still have no problems.

Network transfers are faster than without SP1. machine is also more responsive. We are running it on two machines at work and have no problems on either. Another person is running it on their home machine without any issues.

If i is being pushed out by windows updates already then nobody has complained to me about any problems with their home machines not working.

Vista Home Basic 32bit on my gf's e1705 (2ghz c2d, 2gb 667, 200gb 7.2k, 7900gs), and no hitches with the sp1 install (took about 10 min, from redistributable). It's not my box, but it does seem zippier when moving throughout the windows interface (no more ridiculous lagging with cascading menus), and games... no problems, but no benefits noticed. Should note that the installation was relatively pure, as I just reloaded it 2 weeks ago for a hdd upgrade.

All the old windows installs were file based. For Vista and Server 2008 they are image based. Therefore you can't slipstream stuff into them like you did with xp as you wouldn't be changing some files on a disk but would be modifiying a computer image instead. This also changes how a lot of other stuff works such as repair installs and upgrade installs.

I just upgraded a second system to SP1. So far 2 for 2 are working great.

32 bit HP on my htpc went fine.
x64 ultimate on my system was having a network connectivity problem after the upgrade. connection was continually dropping every couple of minutes. another reboot fixed it, so who knows...

I removed RC1 2 weeks ago because i thought SP1 had been released to public.

Major problems, that i had been having, did return:

Nvidia 8800 gts 320 mb video card went back to being stuck in a loop infrequently (causes blue screen)

World of Warcraft would "freeze" for up to 5 seconds (right after some drive spins up for some odd reason) after having being in use for several hours and i an instance. This problem would increase in severity if i did not restart WoW.

Windows explorer randomly shuts down and then restarts successfully.

All this is fixed in vista 64 SP1 :)))

Has anyone installed this on a dual boot system yet? Just curious if that would cause any problems with how it handles the auto reboot when it needs to.

I have a triple boot (XP Pro, XP Pro, Vista Ultimate). I changed the default OS to Vista so that I could just let it run.

Mark:)

I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem, or if it's Windows, but my computer doesn't wake up out of sleep mode. A minor nuisance. Other than that, no problems to report with x64 Ultimate and SP1.

Installed Tuesday, install went very smooth. Don't know how long it took as I was using another computer while the install was running. It reset the reliability monitor and changed UAC prompt from consent to credentials but I don't use a password so no big deal. So far I have 2 10's in the reliability monitor. That's the 1st time since October. I've had many problems with Vista crashes and freezes. I also noticed startup and sleep seem much faster. I've also noticed over the last month or so Vista has become gradually more stable. Hopefully with SP1 I'll finally have a stable OS. I was averaging 4-5 reliability and never had a 10 so we'll see.

Mark :)

Not one problem, at all. I installed it on my laptop, and if anything, my battery life is a bit longer. I am almost besides myslef.

I had to disable the ULi controller on my Abit AT8 32X. Once done SP1 installed without a problem.

Working good for me, home premium 32. 20 min to install on my dv8000. I have one sidebar gadget for outlook notes that's acting a little flaky, other than that memory consumption seems better and quite a few little annoyances disappeared.

After installing SP1 explorer started crashing when trying to move/copy a file. :(

Vista64 here, SP1 installed perfectly. Everything works, file transfers better, what's not to like? (At least on my end).

As an update, I downloaded and installed it on my HTPC over night. Worked very well.

That's the third system I have put it on, and so far 0 issues. I really like the auto-restart, hands-off-ness. I would like to see more of this.

DID NOT affect folding@home. Sweet.

I have not really seen much of a change. My laptop seems a little snappier, but I'm not sure.
It may seem faster because I want it to be, but who knows.

No problems here either on my laptop. Only thing I noticed was that I had to log in to every site I'm a member of because the service pack apparently deleted my cookies. Not a big deal, and everything else seems to be just fine.

I ran 3dmark06 right before and right after. It boosted my score around 60 points. I renamed a group of files in my music folders and it seems to be working a LOT faster than before. Before, it seemed to take 5 minutes to rename a group of 20 songs into a new album. After, it seems to take 30 seconds to rename the same amount into a new album.

SP1 also fixed a driver issue I had with my printer spool although, this is my own fault because I was too lazy to reformat/reinstall Vista after I upgraded from the EVGA 680i to 780i motherboard.

...now if they could only get some more Ultimate Extras out to us!!

Got done a little while ago, took around 40min to do the upgrade.

Have not really noticed anything different, but I was happy with my install before as well.

HELP

Its tommorow now. I am still uninstalling languages.

I was bored one day... I don't like seeing the little boxes on web pages in other languages... I installed a bunch of them..... AHHHHHHH :mad:

I am having to remove them one at a time.... if I try 2+ all the others besides the first fail... It takes 20+ minutes per language.... any sugestions (other then to never install a language again?)

Right now I also have vista 64 as my default boot, any easy ways to change that to vista 32 partition? Wasnt a concern for me until all this rebooting after each uninstall.

Thank you to all for any sugestions

HELP

Its tommorow now. I am still uninstalling languages.

I was bored one day... I don't like seeing the little boxes on web pages in other languages... I installed a bunch of them..... AHHHHHHH :mad:

I am having to remove them one at a time.... if I try 2+ all the others besides the first fail... It takes 20+ minutes per language.... any sugestions (other then to never install a language again?)

Right now I also have vista 64 as my default boot, any easy ways to change that to vista 32 partition? Wasnt a concern for me until all this rebooting after each uninstall.

Thank you to all for any sugestions

Next time you see those in Windows Update hide them so you'll never have to look at them again.

Back