So who's HAPPY with Vista SP1?!

Has anyone noted if MS fixed some of the wireless issues with SP1? Namely, the inability for Vista to pull an IP address with DHCP on some routers. I've tried the registry hacks, disabling IPv6 and while this has worked for some adapters I have dealt with, many others still have issues. Needless to say, if you work in the field it is a nightmare. I just hope that they have addressed this issue in some way or are at least working on it.

Well, Ive found some good and some bad. The good is speed is much better. I also can now run games where before they would install but not run. The bad, the sound in quake 4 stutters horridly. Oblivian runs fairly but is a bit jerky HOWEVER, its out of the box only the first patch and no unofficial patches. So pretty raw.
Biggest bad is Quake 4 the dialogue repeats itself, stutters and is just bad. I know its probably all the programs running in the background. But, Im not knowledgeable enough about vista on how/where and which ones to turn off. Sure Ill figure it out sooner or later.

So, so far not fantastic, but pretty good. Just will take some time to get sorted out.

Ok thanks, I will try this. Do you know why this is happening in the first place?

i have no idea *shrugs* it should find it when you let vista find the driver if not justpoint to the c:\Windows\inf folder andit should be good from there

on a side note...did anyone else get back a bunch of hdd space?

ive noticed that my system is much faster...and somehow i gained 20 gigs of hdd space...guess it was all the update files from previous updates *shrugs*

You migth have gained 20GB cause of all the silly shadowcopies for restore points.

I know if I leave that unattended for a few days it eats up GB's of HD space. I have to clean up the shadow copies on a regular to gain space. I can either disable restore points all together or I found a hack somewhere to limit the amount of HD space the shadowcopies can use. I limited it to 900mb on a previous vista install and it worked well.

The fact that IE crashes at all should be an issue. I don't think I've ever had Firefox crash in my life. I can't remember IE crashing in XP for a long time either.

Then you're lucky. I've seen Firefox Crash many times. It may not just suddenly disapear, but it will stop loading pages....exiting it and restarting fixes it sometimes, but more often than not, if this happens, you'll have to go into task manager and kill it, because it's actually still running.

I still use Firefox almost exclusively, but It definitely can crash. Of course it's possible that one of the 3 or 4 addons I use cause the crash.

I hope that you are all aware that if you kept windows up to date with the lastest updates (via windows update) that there is nothing new in SP1. This is why I think it is funny for the people who 'wait' for SP1.
All it is, is this: Microsoft said "hey, lets put all the previous windows updates into 1 compilation" and then they Call it Service pack one. So for someone like me who has windows update automatically update, I technically already have SP1.

Why are you telling Vista to defrag? There no need to. Superfetch and the new drive tech is ALWAYS defraging and optimizing file locations. There's no need to schedule a defrag.

I have the scheduled Defrag in Vista disabled. I use perfect disk which I find a hell of alot better.

Has anyone installed this on a dual boot system yet? Just curious if that would cause any problems with how it handles the auto reboot when it needs to.

I'm Dual booting XP and Vista each on its own Hard drive. You won't have any issues you should be getting the boot loader coming up and just select vista and the install should continue as normal.

It has been interesting reading all these posts because for those of us who always wait till after the first Service Pack from MS for their latest OS this is generaly the best time to make the switch from the last OS.

Why?

Well, most of the major kinks like stability and security in the new OS tend to be ironed out, and also hardware drivers tend to have matured sufficiently enough to be reliable.

Cheers.

did a full reinstall of my system then installed Service pack 1 and only had a few updates to install afterward that were Ultimate Extras. Installed it on my Sony Viao laptop that runs Vista business and definitely it took longer to install but afterward the system definitely is running snappier.

I installed SP1 about an hour ago and so far everything's good. System is a bit faster and more responsive. Looks like Service Pack 1 ain't so bad after all.

My briggest gripe pre-SP1 is finally solved. Resuming from hibernation on my desktop is extremely fast now. :D

Time to upgrade my laptop next.

I hope that you are all aware that if you kept windows up to date with the lastest updates (via windows update) that there is nothing new in SP1. This is why I think it is funny for the people who 'wait' for SP1.
All it is, is this: Microsoft said "hey, lets put all the previous windows updates into 1 compilation" and then they Call it Service pack one. So for someone like me who has windows update automatically update, I technically already have SP1.

Hum, I think there are considerable more changes that come with SP1 then what you get from simply keeping the previous version up-to-date. First noticeable item for me as well as others have mentioned is file transfer speed is improved and finally they fixed the 'time remaining' that goes with it. Just from reading through the change log there is a lot more changes on top of that. Not sure why you would think they would simply slap all the previous updates together and do nothing else.

There are updates in SP1 that were not available in prior updates or hot fixes.

But I generally agree that waiting doesn't buy you much. Many of the problems were fixed during the year and driver support caught up several months ago.

I noticed in Vista SP1 32bit 4GB installed RAM now actually shows 4GB instead of 3.x GB now, but does Vista 32bit SP1 actually use 4GB of ram or just displays the info correctly?

Perhaps I'm just being really dumb (wouldn't be a new development...) but I had always thought that Windows service packs were just collections of hotfixes, updates, and other stuff that they put out through Windows Update. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, which updates in particular are new additions?

In reference to why Windows would have made only compilations, I can only say that its easier for techs and IT people to install service packs instead of going through and downloading each update.

You couldn't be more wrong. My system is always up to date and within the first 5 minutes of using SP1 I've already noticed several differences.

I have Vista Business x86 patched to SP1 and Vista Ultimate x64 patched to SP1. Both seem fine so far, although I can't say that VistaGlazz does its job (as it does not in my case). However, the improvements (faster file copies, more system snappiness) are well worth the lost glass effect that will be restored eventually. Boot times are slightly better (especially on a laptop with a slow 5400RPM drive). Battery time is about the same from what I can tell. Everything else seems fine. The only gripe I have is: Why can't you make a Complete PC Backup onto CD-Rs? I know it would take a lot of disks but seriously it's not that difficult is it?

I don't see any reason why not to update to SP1. As usual, it makes the OS what it should have been from day 1: stable and usable.

Anyone here know if the SP1 fixes VIEW, SORT BY, GROUP BY or STACK BY details from going back to default setting???

Just checking in. I did my box with Vista Biz 64bit and had no issues. My girlfriends Dell Laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit went fine too. Of course everyone is trying to hype up issues with Vista SP1 upgrades on all these sites I go to.

Anyone here know if the SP1 fixes VIEW, SORT BY, GROUP BY or STACK BY details from going back to default setting???

i dont think so...i think i saw mine mess up but cant remember if it was right before or right after sp1 install

You couldn't be more wrong. My system is always up to date and within the first 5 minutes of using SP1 I've already noticed several differences.

I agree from the reviews I saw SP1 was faster than RTM and RTM + Windows Updates.

My biggest problem is SP1 comes up with an error on Vista Ultimate x64. I have tried to install it a few different ways but get the same outcome.

When trying to install 32bit SP1, I am getting "An internal error occurred while installing the service pack" outlined here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

Running file checker as outlined does show some corrupted files, but the log file is too huge to make any sense of it.

I do have 2 x 2gb sticks on it. Do you think taking one of them out temporarily will help?

there were 9 updates i had not done when i was getting the errors. i let windows do the 9 updates this time and now the sp1 installer is doing its thing. hopefully everything goes ok.

I have now upgraded 4 machines in my house to SP1, The Service Pack went without issues on all 4 machines.

It DOUBLED my network speeds. Vista now transfers files over the network faster than XP. That was my only complaint with Vista, and now it is the fastest OS.

I upgraded several weeks ago when the 64-bit version was leaked to windows update.

Vista Ultimate 32-bit, SP1 installed just fine. Performance on CodeGear, 3Ds Max 2008, and several games load faster. Boot feels the same, but my desktop is more responsive. My Firewire drive and USB stick both respond and transfer faster. System Performance Index profile completed a little quicker this time, too.

Explorer views still don't stick worth a damn.

Been installed since the leaks after RTM - on my x64 laptop, and my x86 desktop. No problems to report, and copying files seems a tad faster.

Meh.

To clarify a bit, if you used the upgrade work-around to install your legitimate upgrade copy as a clean install (install without a key, then install again from within Vista with a key), SP1 will recognize this and deactivate your copy.

You will then have to call Microsoft and spend an hour on the phone with their tech support and try to convince them that you really did do an upgrade install...

I'm up and running again, but this is the sort of thing that makes me regret purchasing this software.

I guess if I ever reformat, I'll have to actually install xp first and then perform the upgrade rather than doing a nice clean install.

To clarify a bit, if you used the upgrade work-around to install your legitimate upgrade copy as a clean install (install without a key, then install again from within Vista with a key), SP1 will recognize this and deactivate your copy.

You will then have to call Microsoft and spend an hour on the phone with their tech support and try to convince them that you really did do an upgrade install...

I'm up and running again, but this is the sort of thing that makes me regret purchasing this software.

I guess if I ever reformat, I'll have to actually install xp first and then perform the upgrade rather than doing a nice clean install.

I installed using the upgrade trick to get a clean install, and I did not need to reactive nor call MS. If your copy needed reactivation, it may be an unrelated issue. And I really can't see how it would possibly know anyways, all evidence of the previous install would be gone..

happy for now....uTorrent is acting up...might be the router though :p

I had problems with uTorrent after installing as well. The status icon went to red, I had to power cycle my wireless router to get it working again. I also had an issue with sound not working but I fixed that.

Today though my pc has started to act weird, very unstable. I can't be sure if its a coincidence or fault of SP1 at the moment until more troubleshooting is done.

I tried the microsoft help page (reboots/disk scand/file scans/memory scans..etc)
I only had a couple days and had a bad stick of ram in the mix as well. (the bad stick was installed post the initial installation, but got me some wicked BSODs)

Once the "re-roll" was done, all of the updates (including SP1) worked flawlessly.

the only thing that bothers me is the seemingly random resets of folder view and sort settings. Other than that I am very pleased. Anybody know how to fix that?

Installed SP1 about a month ago been fine so far. Like the way Vista performs much better after SP1 especially the network speed.

Back