So who's HAPPY with Vista SP1?!

Like the title says... I finished downloading SP1 64-bit about two hours ago. At first it wouldn't install because it said my language wasn't right... it took me about five minutes to figure about that it was because I had the Hebrew and Russian language packs installed. So I uninstalled those and then it went fine.

Took about 45 minutes to install, rebooted in... no problems. :)

Opening programs and folders seems snappier, not by much, but definitely noticeable. As others say, copying says it starts immediately, doesn't take the time to figure out how long it will take.

I've only tried a few games tonight, Rise of Legends loads a lot faster to the main menu, starting a game is faster too. TF2 gets to the menu faster. I'm not trying any more because it's 0200 and I have other stuff I gotta get done in a few hours. :p EDIT: UT3 is loading faster too.

Also, I use VistaGlazz to keep transparency all the time (e.g. in the task bar), and while that didn't work in SP1 RC1, I'm very happy that it's working no problems, no intervention on my part, with this final install of SP1.

So, overall, so far, so good. No regrets!

I'm happy. Haven't noticed any improvements, but then I haven't really gone looking. Certainly hasn't caused any problems that I can see.

I'm happy :) my firewire harddrive transfer speed went from 25MB/sec to 35MB/sec. My usb harddrive stayed the same at 20MB/sec :(

Installed 32 bit SP1 on home premium. Gaming on COD4 is great now. Had some performance issues and FPS issues even with my beloved 8800GTX, but everything felt 200% better over all after install. Everything is smooth now, just like its supposed to be. I think Vista with SP1 is FINALLY a great gaming platform. Just MHO.

I just install the sp1 and I'm happy with it, I think my hardware will love it more than me:)

I just now hope they can release more hotfixes for the games to run higher FPS

Can't wait for SP2 :)

As a TechNet subscriber, I have been running it for about a month. Over that month, I have noticed that the machine is more responsive, and Internet Explorer crashes less. Files copies are definitely better.

The fact that IE crashes at all should be an issue. I don't think I've ever had Firefox crash in my life. I can't remember IE crashing in XP for a long time either.

Yes, true. If I launch it from the RSS sidebar gadget, it crashes if it wasn't already open. If it was, it just opens a new tab. I have seen this on multiple machines. Doesn't always happen, but I was hoping for a fix. I use Firefox as well, and it does not crash.

it loads faster for me, but my FPS has dropped in CoD4 and the pings are always 999(not really just displays that) and my aquamark score has dropped 35k:eek:

The only thing I ever noticed FireFox doing that pissed me off was after I opened say 20 tabs or something then closed them back so I only had 6 tabs open. It was still using like 400mb of page file under XP SP2, only closing it to reopened fixed that but now with Vista and forced to use IE7 I have been using both FF and IE about the same.

As a TechNet subscriber, I have been running it for about a month. Over that month, I have noticed that the machine is more responsive, and Internet Explorer crashes less. Files copies are definitely better.
I didn't have any IE crashes that I can remember, but the rest mirrors my experiences as well. Three computers overall running it for about a month each.

I installed it this morning. It took about 35 minutes on an E2200 system and didn't destroy anything, change activation status or eat neighborhood children. I'll call it a success. ;)

dumb question but where can I D/L SP1 on Microsoft's site? I just looked at their D/L section but couldn't find it.

I'm asking because I'm currently on my Mac but I want to D/L so I can put it on the PC tonight when I get home. anyone have a direct link?

MajorGeeks.com has links to both versions, and might be seeing less traffic on their mirrors than Microsoft right now.

Installed it successfully last night on my laptop and desktop ultimate x64 and home premium x86 No problems yet, haven't used them much though.

I'm having to reinstall Windows, the current installation may be a little botched (albiet very stable) since I had boot issues when I reinstalled a month ago/backed up my data. Needless to say it failed through 3 attempts. A reinstall is definately in order, I was upset over it. But I figured since the current install didn't go so smoothly a month ago, I might as well try to get it on a fresh error-free install. Then I'll really complain if it doesn't install then...:p

Worked for me, no problems. I haven't noticed any differences, file copy might be a bit faster, but I'm not sure if I'm imaging that or not.

My satisfaction vs dissatisfaction with Vista SP1 is at a draw at the moment...

The issue I was having with Vista taking a while to calculate time when transfering files from my XP computer to my Vista computer has gone away and my transfer speeds increased from 6MB/s to 60MB/s.

However oddly, my transfer speeds from Vista to XP (the opposite direction) which was very good before SP1, seems to have slowed down from 60MB/s to 25MB/s.

My Zoom Player crashes with Invalid Floating Point Operation errors now. I have to disable the VMR video overlay to get around that, but that kinda sucks too. However not a big deal, I can use VLC (it just doesn't handle subtitles in MKV files as well as Zoom does).

Simple deleting, copying, pasting, and cutting, of files still seems slower (not as snappy as XP).

It hasn't done any major harm at least for me.

I'm still having problems with network speed. It could be my drivers but I'm not going to point fingers yet.

happy for now....uTorrent is acting up...might be the router though :p

happy for now....uTorrent is acting up...might be the router though :p

Might be the router. uTorrent is the basically the only thing I've used aside from TF2 since installing SP1 last night and it was working for me...

Vx64 SP1 is working great for me so far. Have to do a little testing - feels snappier.

Happy with it here, I had no problems installing it on 4 different machines here at the house with a variety of configurations and wildly varying components.

It's not too bad, it just isnt playing nice with some of my programs and crashes.:rolleyes:

I have been using 64bit SP1 since it came out on MSDN about a month ago with no problems. Improvements were made in compatibility with my motherboard. Hybrid sleep now works properly as does hibernation. Also, all my USB devices work properly after wakeup as well.

This past weekend I did 3 installs of Vista 32 bit on 3 different machines. I used the integrated Vista SP1 install Package from MSDN and comming to a retailer near you. This installation was flawless. After install there is only 1 small critical update patch applied (besides a few driver updates).

So far my experience with SP1 has been very positive.

I am happy with 3 installs of sp1 on Ultimate any body install on the Business edition with success.

Installed it on Vista Business 64bit and Vista Home 32bit all without issues......

Might as well chime in.

The update took a long time on my computer in my sig. Not really sure why, as SP1 only took about 30 minutes to install on my P4 at work. Phase I and II just seemed to drag on.

When entering the OS, there was some noticable lag, though, I attribute this to the fact the bloody thing to so long to install to begin with. A reboot after and everything was fine.

The only thing I *notice* is the drive to drive / drive to network copying times. Everything else seems the same to me. Another update as usual in the end it seems. :)

Has anyone installed this on a dual boot system yet? Just curious if that would cause any problems with how it handles the auto reboot when it needs to.

ive noticed that my system is much faster...and somehow i gained 20 gigs of hdd space...guess it was all the update files from previous updates *shrugs*

I started the stand alone installer, it said "I will be restarting a few times, don't screw withe me" and I left if for about 2 hours came back and voila SP1 installed. Not bad for a MS install procedure.

No issues on the install. No improvements, either. Vista seems just as slow as it was previously. Oh well.

I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary. Might be a bit 'snappier' as some say but I have not yet put it through a barrage of tests either.

SP1 up and running on my MCE rig in the theater, and on my game box. No issues. Net seems snappier on file copies to and from Windows Home Server rig. Upgrade was painless if a bit reboot heavy. Too early to tell if it is more stable, but I never had any stability issues that were not self-inflicted.

Theater:
Asus P5B-E
E6600
2GB generic DDR2800
8600GTS
2x ATI 550 analog
2x Avermedia A180 ATSC
1x Segate 80GB
3x WD SE16 400GB stripe

Game:
Asus sStriker 2 Formula (yeah yeah)
[email protected]