So.....who's buying a 3070?

Just got a 3070 EVGA Ultra in the mail today only problem I had was the 3-4 beeps on startup but I read a thread on here disabling the CSM in the Bios fixed the problem.
https://hardforum.com/threads/3080-beeps-on-startup.2001400/page-3

I wasn't sure what drivers to run because the current ones had a plauge of issues so I went with the launch drivers. 457.09
Only test I did was Borderlands 3 Benchmark that ran ok except the Epic launcher crashed but that thing is always buggy.

USPS is delayed big time with I had 3 day shipping included but it took an entire week to get here was worried as hell.

1080TI GTX 162010_Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_17399_1538745442.png

1080ti GTX

2080 RTX 162009_Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_20060_1538758779.png

2080 RTX

3070 RTX Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_24382_1606929932.png

3070 RTX

3070 RTX I9-10850k 3600mhz RAM XMP Enabled Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_25159_1609471904.png

I9-10850K CPU
3070 RTX

Last edited:
That is what I'm running ;)
I went from 1440P back to a 144hz 1080P VA panel a Asus Tuf I just like the colors on the 24" VA panel I'm either going to upgrade with Rocket Lake or Meteor Lake but I'll be old as the hills when that happens.

Last edited:
I never ran this test before on my other cards 3-D Mark Port Royal.
They really show off Ray Tracing reflections in this thing but it's nothing spectacular really.

3-D Mark.jpg

So I did install 3070 today after almost 12 years of using AMD cards and it looks like nVidia is super accommodating to returning users. The control panel still looks like a piece of crap from 2005. I mean... really, am I missing something? I've only installed the following pieces:
Display.Driver
HDAudio
NVI2
PhysX

So I did install 3070 today after almost 12 years of using AMD cards and it looks like nVidia is super accommodating to returning users. The control panel still looks like a piece of crap from 2005. I mean... really, am I missing something? I've only installed the following pieces:
Display.Driver
HDAudio
NVI2
PhysX

Control Panel is just the way I like it, it has everything feature cleanly laid out, in good order and easily accessible. I absolutely hate the modern flashy gamurrrr designs with huge colorful logos that makes kids go ooh and aah. Damn it, I am old and I think Windows 98SE was the epitome of Windows design. :D

I think Geforce Experience is supposed to replace Control Panel for most features but that software is horrible piece of crap that I won't touch with a ten foot pole. More so now that Nvidia requires you to make an account to use it. But check it out if it is to your liking.

Anyway, I have had my RTX3070 for almost a week now. I like it, very nice upgrade over vanilla GTX1080. I have been playing mostly Cyberpunk with RT Reflections and RT medium lighting (With DLSS) and damn is the game pretty. I wonder how well my old card would have fared, probably fallen to its knees on just medium settings and no RT. However I can tell that the 8gb VRAM limit is going to be a problem. This really should have been a 10gb card. But I can always turn texture down a notch so...

EVGA.com just sent me a notice today for the 3070. I passed so someone next in line will get it. I wanted the 3080.

I actually secured an Asus ROG STRIX 3070 from a Newegg combo deal on Friday evening. Then after doing some research I realized what a behemoth that card is and that it wouldn't fit in my case for a new system I'm building...not without some undesired modifications anyway. With regret I cancelled my order. I think now I'm mentally past that...my heart's been set on an Asus TUF 3080 for a while now. I don't get to build new systems very often these days, so I want to be happy with the parts I'm putting in it.

Any [H] members from the Columbus, OH area know if Microcenter gets the TUF 3080's in somewhat regularly? My other problem is I don't really have the time to randomly pop in to go check or camp out before it opens. I'm not willing to pay scalpers double the cost (which seems to be around the price I see them posted for most commonly), but I'd happily pay an extra $100-$200 to get a card I want.

Saw my first 3070 in the wild yesterday. Some guy dropped his 13 year old sons new gaming PC round for me to get working. It wouldn't switch on.

Anyway the kid had done a fairly good job for his first go. He had though let the backplate tab on the Ethernet port go in front (oops) and the bigger oops was...he hadn't pushed the CPU and ATX power plugs all the way in.

So a quick easy fix. Anyway I upped thge bios to the latest, set the BIOS up properly and slapped Windows on it to test. All good. Nice looking card, I didn't know anyone had got one in the UK.

I'll run Superposition Benchmark when I have my I9 10850K in hand see if I can get some higher numbers I'll post them here.
I know alot of 1080P is based on the CPU just being good a upgrade from my I7 8700k.
Also like running the ingame Borderlands 3 benchmark which I have saved on my drive.

I would like a 3070 but I'm unwilling to deal with the nonsense to try and get one. I'd still like to see a tad bit more VRAM. I estimate I'll get one by the time I get a decent deal on one.

still waiting , probably for 4-6 months before I get a 3070 or 6800 , hopefully by then
they'll be in stock and won't have to hunt for them.... I hope they come out with a 3070ti
and can compair to stock 3070 and 6800 ... might have to wait till sept for 3070ti gpus to
be in stock without shortages..

Managed to grab one today from a very small nvidia shipment to their uk store, 3070 FE, hopefully have it for friday.

best buy wanted me to drive to Miami for the one i had in my cart, no thanks

ZwRJXWJ.jpg

My 1980's VHS cassette arrived tongue.gif

Showing how much shorter it is than a vega 64 strix, some weight in the little bugger as well, it really does surprise you when you first pick it up.

Having some teething issues with it as well, quite a lot of game crashes (so far bfv and gta v) and a few system resets, despite having a 1kw psu, my previous card is a vega 64 strix so it's not as if this is drawing much more power than that card. Ran ddu etc after the amd uninstall and now have it plugged into the pci-e slot instead of the riser cable i was using before.

3070 on order. Along with a 27GN850 monitor.

Was shooting for a 3080, but this came up. $720 was a bit more than I was planning to spend three months ago, but the way things are going I don't think this was a bad deal.

3070 will be great for 1440p 144hz! What are you upgrading from?
1060 and an eight year old 1080@60 monitor I bought for like $150. XD

I got hooked on the FOMO and have been trying to break out of it. The two major games I play are World of Warcraft and Path of Exile. I think I'll be OK. Bonus thing too is it doesn't look like I need to get another PSU. My 80+ Gold 650W apparently will be ok.

3070 on order. Along with a 27GN850 monitor.

Was shooting for a 3080, but this came up. $720 was a bit more than I was planning to spend three months ago, but the way things are going I don't think this was a bad deal.

In this market, that's not a bad deal.

3070 will be great for 1440p 144hz! What are you upgrading from?

I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and I'd definitely rather the 3080 for the long run. I've had both and kind of regret trading down to a 3070.

I figure by the time 32k monitors become the big thing :)p), I'll get a 3080. I'm always like four years behind the curve it seems. I'm fine with it.

I got my EVGA 3070 ULTRA a couple of days ago and i am extremely happy with it. Its a beautiful design and that cooler keeps the card very quiet at load, never going above 58 degrees. I game at 1440P and i think the 3070 is a perfect match for this resolution.

2070 comes in at 220w about so unless you have a super power hungry cpu that you also overclock the piss out of 650w gold is plenty.

3070 arrived yesterday. Playing World of Warcraft at the moment. Set the game experience thing to optimized. Overall, graphics are maxed. There's a few four letter options that are not selected which I have no idea what they do. RT is on. Averaging 80fps at 1440@144.

I'm happy with it. Cost was higher than was I wanted, but I'm cool with it.

Well despite my earlier bitching this week, got a stock alert for a 3070 and well...I got it.

I wanted a 3080 though, but I give up on those at this point.

Well despite my earlier bitching this week, got a stock alert for a 3070 and well...I got it.

I wanted a 3080 though, but I give up on those at this point.
Welcome to the caved club. I wanted a 3080. Then I wanted a 3080 or a 6800XT. Then I wanted a 3080, 6800XT or 6900XT... ended up with a 3090 because I managed to get it into my cart and check out. Waste of $900 for 20% or so that I don't really need. I'm more of an RPG & strategy guy so I don't need max FPS, though I do like the bling. Run at 4k with RTX on if possible. I probably would have gone for a 3070 if that's what I had the chance to buy. The 3090 was kind of an "oh, fuck it, I'm sick of hunting" spur of the moment decision. Good chance I would have done the same thing with a 3070.

Welcome to the caved club. I wanted a 3080. Then I wanted a 3080 or a 6800XT. Then I wanted a 3080, 6800XT or 6900XT... ended up with a 3090 because I managed to get it into my cart and check out. Waste of $900 for 20% or so that I don't really need. I'm more of an RPG & strategy guy so I don't need max FPS, though I do like the bling. Run at 4k with RTX on if possible. I probably would have gone for a 3070 if that's what I had the chance to buy. The 3090 was kind of an "oh, fuck it, I'm sick of hunting" spur of the moment decision. Good chance I would have done the same thing with a 3070.
I'm on 1440p so I feel better about it, though likewise I wanted the 3080 to really pull out the bling bling.

I was able to snag an ASUS TUF 3070 OC from a streaming group in MD via a streaming sell-away. Runs great with all of the games I play, though I'm sad I have to turn down settings for my new Samsung 49". A 3080 would've provided me more but I know that the waiting game would've worn me thin.

At this point I see the 3070 carrying me to the 40-series and hopefully by then things calm down. But who knows really. I really just needed to get off this 980. A 3080 I would have been more comfortable holding long-term over the 3070 so we'll see. Maybe it will be good enough till the 50-series.

I traded my 3070 Vision for this beast. Now I just need to buy everything else for a new build! :cool:

20210309_103559[3809].jpg

cerberus_03.jpg

EVGA XC3 ULTRA from the 2/25 BB drop. Works great - I really don't need 700mm of PCIe power cables, more like 150mm. So I've ordered custom cables that should arrive soon.

Back