So.....who's buying a 3070?

I'll consider paying for ray tracing when it becomes more than a gimmick.
I would say it's more than that now. It will be the definitive way to play games because of the upcoming console generation, if nothing else. But for me and perhaps for you, it’s more a question of whether we can run RTX features fluidly or not. And also what is the cost associated with doing so. It might be another generation of GPU’s yet before it’s cost effective for the masses.

DLSS 2.0 and RTX features, plus better performance than the VII. The VII was hot and loud imo. Great card for an open loop system and/or if you used it for work purposes.
It's kind of absurd to compare "whats a good buy" based upon what you already own versus whats imminently coming. Of course future items are always better.
For what its worth I've found the VII to be an excellent card in basically all regards. With thermal paste and the washer mod most if not all the issues are sorted. The "big issue" with the VII was basically mounting pressure. I find it to be a pretty quiet card and that it rarely ever needs to fully spin up to adequately cool itself - even under heavy gaming loads (DX:MD being my reference).
Either way, as you note, my first use case is for work. Gaming takes a VERY distance second. Most stuff isn't worth playing and I don't have the time anyway.

Last edited:
I would say it's more than that now. It will be the definitive way to play games because of the upcoming console generation, if nothing else. But for me and perhaps for you, it’s more a question of whether we can run RTX features fluidly or not. And also what is the cost associated with doing so. It might be another generation of GPU’s yet before it’s cost effective for the masses.

It's kind of absurd to compare "whats a good buy" based upon what you already own versus whats imminently coming. Of course future items are always better.
For what its worth I've found the VII to be an excellent card in basically all regards. With thermal paste and the washer mod most if not all the issues are sorted. The "big issue" with the VII was basically mounting pressure. I find it to be a pretty quiet card and that it rarely ever needs to fully spin up to adequately cool itself - even under heavy gaming loads (DX:MD being my reference).
Either way, as you note, my first use case is for work. Gaming takes a VERY distance second. Most stuff isn't worth playing and I don't have the time anyway.

Sorry but that's nonsense. I used the washer mod, multiple washer thicknesses in fact, and they did little to nothing. Also re-pasted multiple times to little effect. I had to undervolt to keep it cooler and quieter, but even then it is loud when compared to a 3 fan 1080 ti for example.

Sorry but that's nonsense. I used the washer mod, multiple washer thicknesses in fact, and they did little to nothing. Also re-pasted multiple times to little effect. I had to undervolt to keep it cooler and quieter, but even then it is loud when compared to a 3 fan 1080 ti for example.
Cool. You have the experience to speak for everyone. You’ve owned everyone’s Radeon VII and you can invalidate my experience and ownership with your experience. Good to know.

I'm beginning to think the bots will never stop, and this is the new normal. These people have deep pockets and can buy up all the inventory and resell at a profit - further deepening their pockets. So there's really nothing to stop them at this point.

The only thing that will stop it is everyone stops buying from resellers that are jacking the price up. Have to remove the economic incentives for the bot and scalp people and refusing to buy is the only way. Pretty tall order though.

The only thing that will stop it is everyone stops buying from resellers that are jacking the price up. Have to remove the economic incentives for the bot and scalp people and refusing to buy is the only way. Pretty tall order though.
Pretty much. If people would have a little self restraint, it would all go away.

Then again, that would fix a lot of issues in the world. So the only thing left is for production to meet demand properly.

3070s are going to sell out in seconds as well. I wonder when the bots are going to stop buying everything in sight? Jan of next year? Who knows. Nothing will be available on the 29th. Just like on the 17th. Gotta wait this shit out apparently.
I don't think there much room for scalpers on the 3070. 3080 are $200 more and performance is a huge gap. I wouldn't buy a 3070 for more then $700. Idc if availability for 3080 is crap. I would wait.

Last edited:
after trying and failing to get a 3080 I'm tempted to try and get a 3070...since I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor I'm thinking the 3070 might be better suited for my current system/needs (3080 is great but might be a bit of overkill)...I plan on building a new Zen 3 system around it...

I don't think there much room for scalpers on the 3070. 3080 are $200 more and performance is a huge gap. I wouldn't buy a 3070bfor more then $700. Idc if availability for 3080 is crap. I would wait.
I'm hoping the swing between FE prices and top tier AIB is a lot less than we see with the 3080s. If there are $600+ AIB 3070s I'm gonna be sad.

I don't think there much room for scalpers on the 3070. 3080 are $200 more and performance is a huge gap. I wouldn't buy a 3070 for more then $700. Idc if availability for 3080 is crap. I would wait.
You would wait, but many others don’t want to. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen in Discord, Reddit, or on a forum that people want the GPU before CyberPunk 2077 hits on November 19th. Or they are tired of hunting for a card so they bought a scalped one. People are just impatient now-a-days and are willing to trade their money for time/patience. It’s why scalping is able to thrive.

The chance you can get a 3080 for $700 is very low for the foreseeable future. People are still dropping $1200-1500 regularly on the 3080 because you also can rarely get a 3090 at $1500. And 3090s are being scalped for $2000+. I could easily see 3070s being scalped for $700-800.

Reviews are looking good. Demand will be through the roof unless AMD shits all over it tomorrow.

We'll see if anyone can actually buy a 3070 for $500. I kinda feel like these FE reviews don't even matter, seeing as how they're almost non-existent. At least for the 3080.

I imagine there will be 10x more stock for 3070s than 3080/3090s. But, we will find out amd's offering tomorrow. We shall see.

I will say, at least when you overclock the 3070 you will get more than 3-5% performance like you do with the 3080/3090.

Looks like a VERY solid card for $500. Next up is to see what AMD has tomorrow.

Looks like a good value for 1440P even 4K. Not gonna get it personally, but will be recommending it to people unless Radeon beats it at a value aspect.
I'm going for a 3090 or 3080Ti (rumored).

At the 21.00 minute mark of that video he pretty much straight up says without saying it that the AMD cards will be better value at the $500 price point so to wait a day or two for reviews. Unless of course he's just baiting, and I'm reading into it too much.

At the 21.00 minute mark of that video he pretty much straight up says without saying it that the AMD cards will be better value at the $500 price point so to wait a day or two for reviews. Unless of course he's just baiting, and I'm reading into it too much.

just wait til the announcement and see, it's not like it'll matter anyways since the launch day isn't til the 29th for the 3070.

I cancelled my 3080 and I'm in no rush ;-). I want to run 4K anyway so I need more vram. (I've also got my hands on an XSX for a very good price so I'm really not in a rush).

I'm liking reviewers drawing a $/performance line to 2080ti with 3070

3060 should be fun bc going right at the sacred 1080tiark for $300 will be the big seller

I'll wait to see what the 2x vram rumors pan out to be if simply the 2080ti and 1080ti bar are met.

If you are going to exceed a mark I'll buy that rather than a sku that meets performance I already own.

just wait til the announcement and see, it's not like it'll matter anyways since the launch day isn't til the 29th for the 3070.

tomorrow is just the announcement so I'm guessing Big Navi reviews won't be available for another few weeks...if someone wants to buy a 3070 on Day 1 it's going to be hard to wait because of the low supply issues...

My 1070 is long in the tooth, but it's still holding it's own. I'm really considering a 3070/3080, but I'm not one of those getting a nose bleed rushing to get one upon release date. I'm the gator waiting patiently in the watering hole to pounce for a sweet dealio. I'll be in the shitter if my 1070 craps out before then tho :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: noko
like this
I would love to be able to pick up a 3070 to replace my RX580, but they will be sold out before I even get a chance to dream of landing one.

I play WoW mainly, do the DLSS is the selling point for me

Actually, if the rumors are right, they are shipping the 3070 with the same speed ram the 2070 launched with two years back, so it really has a long way to go with compression to hit 2080 Ti performance. When your 3090 only has 50% higher performance, and 50% higher memory bandwidth, that doesn't point to Pascal-level compression miracles.

Hey look who was right!

This thing needs a Super 16GB capacity plus 16 Gbps bandwidth refresh yesterday.This goes double if the Big Navi specs are as-expected.

Last edited:
Don't forget that if AMD comes out with faster video cards than expected, Nvidia might just run out 3070/3080 Ti or Super models. So it's actually not a good idea to rush out and buy a 3070 right away.

You could feel buyer's remorse if Nvida releases a faster 3070 Super model just a couple of months from now in reponse to the Radeon 6000 family being faster than Nvidia likes.

I'm thinking I should buy a 3070 tomorrow if I can, then put my 2070 super up for sale. the 2070 super are selling for around $500 used so seems like a no brainer. I doubt there will be enough stock of 3070's to drive the price down.

Don't forget that if AMD comes out with faster video cards than expected, Nvidia might just run out 3070/3080 Ti or Super models. So it's actually not a good idea to rush out and buy a 3070 right away.

You could feel buyer's remorse if Nvida releases a faster 3070 Super model just a couple of months from now in reponse to the Radeon 6000 family being faster than Nvidia likes.
What, like the RTX 2060 (Jan 2019), and then the RTx 2060 Super (July 2019)?

Obviously they should feel completely confident buying a launch 3070 :D

so 9:00 AM my time (NYC)...I'm conflicted on whether I want to pick one up (or try to)...I want the 3080 but the 3070 also sounds pretty good for my needs (1440p 144hz G-Sync)...but the 8GB VRAM is annoying
why do people care about the vram?

My 1070 is long in the tooth, but it's still holding it's own. I'm really considering a 3070/3080, but I'm not one of those getting a nose bleed rushing to get one upon release date. I'm the gator waiting patiently in the watering hole to pounce for a sweet dealio. I'll be in the shitter if my 1070 craps out before then tho :ROFLMAO:
You know 1070s are still pretty good. Many of the recent games will still play at around 60 fps 1440p. So perhaps 3070 is for people who really want to take advantage of high refresh rate monitors. I gotta admit 144 fps at 1440p looks and feels amazing. Hard Reset Redux for example. Of course there are a few super demanding games that help justify a 3070 like Red Dead Redemption 2. Oh man would that look amazing with a 3070!

I'd like a 3070, but I know better. I look forward to seeing the "Add To Cart" button instantly evolve into the "Sold Out" button.

Back