So.....who's buying a 3070?

Likely will be, the 3070 is what I have my eye on and what ever the AMD equivalent will be, so I am waiting till prob Nov. before i even think about what to buy.

I am eventually going to look at a 3070. But with the current crop of 3080s crashing I am going to wait a little longer after the 3070 comes out.

^^^ same here, like to get at least 3070 , but will wait until most problems are resolved.

reading about all the 3080 lock ups ,crashes.. plus x570 mb problem with pulling battery .. ouch..

I would love to upgrade now, but will wait on amd to get their products out and then see what happens

I'm waiting for 3060. If 3070 is 2080 Ti for $500, the 3060 should be 2080 performance for $350.

Just need them to not castrate it with 6gb ram on another 192-bit bus, and it will sell like hotcakes.

Actually, if the rumors are right, they are shipping the 3070 with the same speed ram the 2070 launched with two years back, so it really has a long way to go with compression to hit 2080 Ti performance. When your 3090 only has 50% higher performance, and 50% higher memory bandwidth, that doesn't point to Pascal-level compression miracles.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that the 3070 has 3GB less VRAM than a 2080 Ti and thus should not be considered a 2080 Ti equivalent. If you game at 4k or plan to game at 4k in the future, I'd highly recommend leaning towards the 3080.

I am. To replace my 1060 6GB. All I really play is Path of Exile. I am looking to make a bump from 1080@60 to 1440@144. 3070 is in my price range.

I am hoping the AMD release is a worthy 3080 competitor. This 3080 nonsense is fn nonsense!

I am also really hoping the AMD 5000 series puts up a better fight for gaming vs the 10700K. This next month should be fun.

I'm waiting for 3060. If 3070 is 2080 Ti for $500, the 3060 should be 2080 performance for $350.

Just need them to not castrate it with 6gb ram on another 192-bit bus, and it will sell like hotcakes.

Actually, if the rumors are right, they are shipping the 3070 with the same speed ram the 2070 launched with two years back, so it really has a long way to go with compression to hit 2080 Ti performance. When your 3090 only has 50% higher performance, and 50% higher memory bandwidth, that doesn't point to Pascal-level compression miracles.
Unless AMD has something competitive don't expect the 3060nto be sub $400.

Unless AMD has something competitive don't expect the 3060nto be sub $400.

Says the man who forgets that thy launched the 2060 at $350, SIX months before the 5700 materialized.

The 2070 was $500 AIB launch price, so they will at-least keep within that launch price. That wouldn't prevent then from releasing a 3060 Super refresh at $400 again.

Once Nvidia has set the prices of it;'s higher-end cards, you can suss-out where the rest of those cards will lie.

So, now I'm wondeing about the capacitors on the 3070 ... will the aib 3070's have same problem in
using all cheap ones ? Seems like it's always something ... hope amd comes out with kick butt gpu/cpu's
in the next month and trouble free !

3070 seems compelling at the price point, however given the launch availability issues, the leaked 16gb cards and the two week timing until AMD's announcement, I think it would be foolish to make it a day one purchase.

That being said, for my wallet, it's the card to beat.

Using RX 590 8GB right now, 3070 with more than 8GB should be a decent upgrade for 1440p gaming. Or maybe AMD 6000 series.
No hurry for me.
Man, I came in here just to post about what I typed a couple days ago.

The 3070 should be enough for 1440@144, right? Mostly Path of Exile. Maybe dabble in some other games, but nothing major.

Similar for me, running a RX580 8G right now for 1440p and sure, can use high FPS but i am happy for now with the rates i get for the games i play.

3070 seems compelling at the price point, however given the launch availability issues, the leaked 16gb cards and the two week timing until AMD's announcement, I think it would be foolish to make it a day one purchase.

That being said, for my wallet, it's the card to beat.
What he said.

And I want to actually wait until the 3060 is announced and the driver issues settle down. For my applications (I'm not a gamer) the 3060 may be sufficient. And if the price point is compelling enough, then I'll wait for a 3060. Then the big decision is buy from Nvidia or an AIB manufacturer and which one.

I'm planning a new build at the end of the year when AMD's new processor and GPU's are revealed. If the 3070 is the best bang for the buck for $500 and under then that's what I'll get, otherwise I've had good experiences with AMD GPU's and willing to pick one of those up if it's a better choice.

RTX 3070 delayed to the day after AMD’s reveal of Big Navi cards. Makes me think that AMD may have something special in the $500 bracket.

reading about all the 3080 lock ups ,crashes.. plus x570 mb problem with pulling battery .. ouch..

Can you please elaborate or shoot me a link to this x570 issue you mentioned? Haven’t heard of this, Thanks

Can you please elaborate or shoot me a link to this x570 issue you mentioned? Haven’t heard of this, Thanks
It only affects some Gigabyte boards and isn’t exclusive to the X570 chipset.

It only affects some Gigabyte boards and isn’t exclusive to the X570 chipset.

Any link? Interested to read up on this seeing as how I have 2 gigabyte boards... an X570 and a Z490

Any link? Interested to read up on this seeing as how I have 2 gigabyte boards... an X570 and a Z490
Don’t believe there is anything official, but there is a large thread in the AMD motherboard forum here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-master-wont-power-on-temporary-solution.1993194/

Where many people have been reporting the same issue. Seems to be more prevalent on X570 boards but apparently the issue has been present in previous Gigabyte motherboards with dual BIOS. Doesn’t affect all of them.

I fully expect OOS until second quarter next year.
If there was any company other than Nvidia, I'd never ever shop Nvidia again.

I fully expect OOS until second quarter next year.
If there was any company other than Nvidia, I'd never ever shop Nvidia again.
There is always AMD, but judging by some of the comments on the AMD forums, the 5000 series cards have more than their share of driver issues. I need to upgrade my ancient vid card. My heart says "AMD" but my head says "Nvidia." I know, I know, AMD has better price/performance, but worse price/aggravation.

Last edited:
After being burnt on their absolute garbage GPUs 4 card generations in a row, it's safe to say any dedicated gpu AMD comes out with is going to be a pile of junk. They've not demonstrated even once that they should be continued to be considered a quality gpu manufacturer.

I will eventually. I figure everything will still be there years from now, and will be much cheaper. I'm still catching up on playing games from 5 years ago, so 5 years from now I'll buy a 3070 and play today's games.

3070s are going to sell out in seconds as well. I wonder when the bots are going to stop buying everything in sight? Jan of next year? Who knows. Nothing will be available on the 29th. Just like on the 17th. Gotta wait this shit out apparently.

3070s are going to sell out in seconds as well. I wonder when the bots are going to stop buying everything in sight? Jan of next year? Who knows. Nothing will be available on the 29th. Just like on the 17th. Gotta wait this shit out apparently.

I'm beginning to think the bots will never stop, and this is the new normal. These people have deep pockets and can buy up all the inventory and resell at a profit - further deepening their pockets. So there's really nothing to stop them at this point.

I'm beginning to think the bots will never stop, and this is the new normal. These people have deep pockets and can buy up all the inventory and resell at a profit - further deepening their pockets. So there's really nothing to stop them at this point.

Thinking about trying to beat a bot. The bot instantly knows when the item is in stock, can purchase it and remove it from stock in what? 1 second? No one can compete with that. Aren't there websites that sell membership to bots like that?

Ah well. Maybe nvidia will get off it's ass and actually pump some volume out. Or maybe not. Keep that demand high as hell right?

After being burnt on their absolute garbage GPUs 4 card generations in a row, it's safe to say any dedicated gpu AMD comes out with is going to be a pile of junk. They've not demonstrated even once that they should be continued to be considered a quality gpu manufacturer.
They are literally the only other game in town. Neither Matrox nor Intel offer a remotely competitive GPU solution.
It's also not as if they have never been a competitor in the marketplace either - the R290 and R390 were very competitive cards (in the recent past) as was the Fury (save for its RAM limitation). They've definitely had their ups and downs - however they're under new leadership and definitely have been chipping away at their issues of the past 4 years. If not observing the absolute high end, the RX480 and RX580 as well as Vega56 have more or less been lauded by anyone for their midrange bang-for-the-buck performance.

The long and the short is, if you're writing them off you have a very short memory and the computing space changes very quickly.

On topic, I won't be buying a 3070. I'll be waiting to see what AMD brings out. And I'll either hold off this generation or buy into somewhere in the high-mid range. I have a Radeon VII now, and there isn't too much of a reason to upgrade outside of gaining RTX features. And I don't know if I necessarily feel like spending $700+ to get them.

They are literally the only other game in town. Neither Matrox nor Intel offer a remotely competitive GPU solution.
It's also not as if they have never been a competitor in the marketplace either - the R290 and R390 were very competitive cards (in the recent past) as was the Fury (save for its RAM limitation). They've definitely had their ups and downs - however they're under new leadership and definitely have been chipping away at their issues of the past 4 years. If not observing the absolute high end, the RX480 and RX580 as well as Vega56 have more or less been lauded by anyone for their midrange bang-for-the-buck performance.

The long and the short is, if you're writing them off you have a very short memory and the computing space changes very quickly.

On topic, I won't be buying a 3070. I'll be waiting to see what AMD brings out. And I'll either hold off this generation or buy into somewhere in the high-mid range. I have a Radeon VII now, and there isn't too much of a reason to upgrade outside of gaining RTX features. And I don't know if I necessarily feel like spending $700+ to get them.
I'll consider paying for ray tracing when it becomes more than a gimmick.

A point will be reached where all the people willing to pay above MSRP will have their cards. Scalpers’ inventory will begin to sit and that’s when they’ll turn off the bots. When that’ll be? Probably in a couple months. For now I still see these cards selling out at $300-400 over MSRP within minutes on Amazon marketplace.

DLSS 2.0 and RTX features, plus better performance than the VII. The VII was hot and loud imo. Great card for an open loop system and/or if you used it for work purposes.

Back