So who works for a consulting company?

The Spyder

2[H]4U
Quick survey,

Do you like working for a consulting company?
Is there always something to do?
Room to grow?

I have the chance to go work for a medium sized consulting firm and don't quite know if I want to. I have been working for myself as a consultant for many years now. I keep a small client base and like what I do. However if I can grow and learn more, it would be well worth it to me. I just don't know quite what to expect.

The company really wants me, mainly because my uncle is in charge of a rather large project in the area and most likely they will get a rather large contract.... Hotel, private ISP, $$$.... I dont want to work for them just because of this though. I guess I need to go in and speak with the owner and make things perfectly clear.

Any advice is welcome.:eek:

If you're working for yourself.....why would you want to go work for someone else?
I like not having a time clock to punch in, a cubicle to have to go to each day, having pretty much just myself and my clients to answer to.

I'm not a computer consultant, but I'd say stay as your own business (boss). You will have better control of what happens and when, such as vacation, work hours, etc...

wait, so do they want you for your skill? or that your uncle is in charge of projects worth $$$?

why dont you try to sub yourself out to the other company? win win!!

Well, if the other is good, think about it, but no noncompete contracts, (unless you get a huge signing bonus!!)

If you're working for yourself.....why would you want to go work for someone else?
I like not having a time clock to punch in, a cubicle to have to go to each day, having pretty much just myself and my clients to answer to.

Insurance, excellent benefits, normal hours, ect...
It would get me into things consulting will not, example data center work, hand building a ISP.

I love working for myself, but I can make $30k a year more through them with benefits. Plus I have done nothing to really grow myself as a private consultant, unless you have some good recommendations. Im not even in a phone book :).

I do only work 3-4 days a week and this allows me to spend lots of time with my family.

I honestly do not know if they want me for the guarantee they get the contract or for my experiance... (10yrs experience being a consultant).

Mainly due to the following:
1) I have a family
2) I build race cars for people on the side as it is
3) Finance would kill me because I would never be home. lol

I will still probably consult on the side, but who knows. Im going to fix up and send in the old Resume like they have been asking and go from there I guess. :p

Mainly due to the following:
1) I have a family
2) I build race cars for people on the side as it is
3) Finance would kill me because I would never be home. lol

I will still probably consult on the side, but who knows. Im going to fix up and send in the old Resume like they have been asking and go from there I guess. :p

I worked for a SMB consulting firm. While you get to make more decsions and generally get more lattitue there are trade offs.

I make 3x as much working for a large company + Benifits. You also get to owrk on a lot more enterprise level projects and equipemtn that most small compnays would never use.

As for working regular hours. Forget it. My hours are all over the place an gnerally 50+ a week.

Consulting companies vary greatly. Some are small and do real small business. Some are very large and work with huge multi-national companies. It just varies. I've worked for several different consulting groups of different sizes. Right now I'm back working for a recent startup that specializes in virtualization, storage, and DR. You learn a lot at a good consulting company. Depending on the focus of the company there can be a lot of room to grow. I no longer do straight engineering but mostly stick to Technical Consulting and architecture.

It really depends what you want to do. You'll see a much greater range of technologies and environments. You learn a lot no matter who you are. Just take a look at the company and see if it fits your goals. The company I am with has a very specific focus. Virtualization, storage, and DR. That's it. We aren't all things to all people and have no desire to be. Many consulting companies do anything asked...that gets real old to me very quickly.

Back