So who keeps Windows Defender enabled?

Do you leave Windows Defender enabled?

• Yes, I leave it enabled.

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • No, I disable it.

Votes: 33 43.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Microsoft Security Essentials disables it when you install it so... Neither. MSE does it for me as it makes it redundant.

True I forgot about that. Well for the people not running MSE maybe they can chime in.

I disable it because almost all products detect the same stuff Defender detects and does a hell of a lot better job at it. Plus, who wants 2 malware products running at once? Quite frankly, Defender is almost worthless. I've only saw it catch something once in 4 or 5 years. I did have it wipe off my remote management software on around 200 machines though. That was fun fixing.

Before I had MSSE, I used Defender and just left it on. I used no AV before MSSE.

Poll should have an option for "I use Microsoft Security Essentials," to put it bluntly.

Im running Windows Defender. Its doing a pretty damn good job too. Have no problem with crap or adware.

Prior to using MSE, I left it on. It hardly uses much for resources, nothing wrong with having another layer of protection.

It hardly uses much for resources, nothing wrong with having another layer of protection.

Same way I look at it. Avast 5 uses a whopping 7MB on my machine and doesn't disable Windows Defender, so I just leave it enabled. Depends on the user, the machine, what they want running and don't, etc....

For those whining about me not listing MSE in the poll, imagine in your mind that the "No, I disable it" option says "No, my AV disables it". Some AV's keep it enabled some disable it, I don't have them memorized. Then again I never tested to see if the AV's that disable it restrict you from enabling it again.

I leave it running on my mom's Vista machine. but not on anything else.

NOT running MSE ... defender disabled ... on both Vista & Win7 systems. No need for it anyways.

Current Setup:
1) Nod32 Version 4.2 - Main protection always enable
2) Spybot S & D - not enable but run scans manually
3) Windows Defender - not enable but run scans manually
4) Malwarebytes Anti Malware - not enable but run scans manually
5) Windows Firewall - enable all the time

But usually use all four in safe mode twice a month to make sure pc is clean

i usually disable it but after reinstalling windows 7 for the 6th time in the last 3 months im to friggin lazy to deal with it anymore.. only thing i disable the second windows turns on for the first time is the stupid windows firewall that doesnt do a damn thing except cause a headache..

Microsoft Security Essentials disables it when you install it so... Neither. MSE does it for me as it makes it redundant.

Ditto. And even if I didn't use MSE, I'd leave it on. Neither Windows Defender or Security Essentials will slow down your machine.

i usually disable it but after reinstalling windows 7 for the 6th time in the last 3 months im to friggin lazy to deal with it anymore.. only thing i disable the second windows turns on for the first time is the stupid windows firewall that doesnt do a damn thing except cause a headache..

Not to derail the topic but why did you reinstall Windows 6 times in 3 months?

As with the few dozen others, MSE disabled mine and went above and beyond. Before that, I had it enabled with Avira.

Trusting MS with your security is like trusting the fox to guard the hen house.

MS has a pretty good record since XP SP2 and the SDL is probably the best in the industry. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. MS also has a interest in keeping their customers from having a bad experience with Windows (like say a malware infection would cause.)

Most 3rd party security suites recommend disabling it, including the KIS 2010 I am running, so disabled it is.

Back