So who is pre-purchasing the X399 motherboards and Threadripper CPU's tomorrow?

ASUS Zenith has wifi...

It has wireless AC and AD. Apparently future VR is gonna be AD so whatever its kinda a good investment. But 60ghz can be blocked by a sheet of paper so it better be line of sight.

Ill order one this evening.

I just dont want to use my caselabs th10 its too big. Anyone wanna trade or buy it lol.

It also has an ugly Dimm.2 slot and unnecessary 'edgy' ROG logo. ..

Thats your opinion. I think it is Beautiful! Just too damn pricey of a board if you ask me. I haven't preorded chip or board yet. I am still on the ropes about what board I want. Main problem with that riser card is that it is going to be tricky or impossible to waterblock the nvme drives that way as opposed to being motherboard mounted. Hence my desire to strongly refer to getting the Gigabyte board instead.

I just do not need the 10g ethernet card (waste of money add on since I have fiber Intel server cards already) and I really could care less about Wireless AD right now.

I am really liking the Gigabyte board more and more.

I am just RGB junky and really want to have AuraSync or something similar where everything is synchronized.

I think the Asrock board is retaraded looking with that big gear logo painted across the board. The Gigabyte board is LED'd the hell out which I am loving but I will have to get all Gigabyte products to get synchronized RGB, I think.

I wanna see a no-nonsense board without RGB, printed graphics and flashy shields/covers/heatsinks. I want something that looks like it was made to do work, not be a show piece. Reinforced PCI-E slots, heat sinks designed to be as efficient as possible. Clear silk screen numbering dimm Banks, slot numbers, connector numbers, etc.

I wanna see a no-nonsense board without RGB, printed graphics and flashy shields/covers/heatsinks. I want something that looks like it was made to do work, not be a show piece. Reinforced PCI-E slots, heat sinks designed to be as efficient as possible. Clear silk screen numbering dimm Banks, slot numbers, connector numbers, etc.

Supermicro! I know, I have owned more than a fair share. I absolutely love RGB! If I want a server looking machine I will get a supermicro board and chassis.

Anyways....

Looks at this beautiful mother of a board lol.

Imagine twin Epyc 32 core chips on this beast with 512gb Reg ECC 2666mhz. Oh my the rendering power and video transcoding hotness! Us drone post producers would love it. Can't afford it. That is $8000 in processors alone and about $1000 for the board.

https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11DSi.cfm

About as basic looking and workstation like as you can imagine!
H11DSi_spec.jpg

I really really want one but after drescherjm pointing out linux issues (under load, compiling crashes in random ways...) I'm going to wait until those get ironed out. The problem was reported in April and it still exists with no fix and almost no communication from AMD.

I really really want one but after drescherjm pointing out linux issues (under load, compiling crashes in random ways...) I'm going to wait until those get ironed out. The problem was reported in April and it still exists with no fix and almost no communication from AMD.
Keep in mind these things take a while. It took Intel over a year to fix theirs.

I pre-purchased a board.

Jury is stil out if I'm going 1900x or 1950x. I primarily game so the latter would be for epeen. I'm assuming that the 1900x would actually probably perform better gaming-wise due to the clocks.

Has anyone seen information/availability on coolers other than the Noctua air coolers?

If them confirming 1TB in 8 slots wasn't enough (literally impossible w/o load reduce which is registered) now that one has been delidded and TR really are just disabled epyc chips, done deal in my book.
The delidding revealed the same Zeppelin dies that are already in the Ryzen CPUs. I get that it appears more likely now that we know how Threadripper isn't all that different from Epyc, but still LR-DIMMs need BIOS and motherboard support.

If you read the AMD community forum thread, AMD communicates directly through individual service requests, and sent out replacement CPUs to several users already. In some cases this helped, in others it didn't.

Yeah, I'm hoping asus bring out one of their WS boards, all the bells and whistles without the flashy bits

I think ASUS has a x399 board called "prime" that ditches the LED's

But for me I don't mind tasting the rainbow

Taichi's probably the closest to that on the high end side(pro gaming might be the same),on the x370 it only has 6 leds that slow flash around the chipset.. I didn't bother to install the asrock software to control them though. I hate leds but my graphic card pretty much covers them up.

WOkgKAK.png

Will be cooled by my EVGA CLC 280mm.

Haven't had an AMD Processor since the AMD 64 3200+ back in 2005.

I added a 2nd 1TB 960 Pro NVMe drive to this purchase. Going completely NVMe with this build. No SATA cables and cutting back on power cables too.

WOkgKAK.png

Will be cooled by my EVGA CLC 280mm.

Haven't had an AMD Processor since the AMD 64 3200+ back in 2005.

I added a 2nd 1TB 960 Pro NVMe drive to this purchase. Going completely NVMe with this build. No SATA cables and cutting back on power cables too.
I like the $999.00 price instead of $999.99. lol

Can't decide if I want to upgrade from my X99 rig, was planning on hanging on to this longer but Threadripper is very tempting. I'll probably wait for reviews, it's nice that AMD has made CPUs exciting again though :)

Can't decide if I want to upgrade from my X99 rig, was planning on hanging on to this longer but Threadripper is very tempting. I'll probably wait for reviews, it's nice that AMD has made CPUs exciting again though :)

Same, going from 12 threads to 32 threads would be awesome. I don't even game that much these days, I just want faster video transcodes and batch photo processing.

With this kind of spend, would it not be prudent to wait until the reviews are out?

I've spent roughly the same amount here. 1950x and Asus Zenith Extreme and 32 GB of Gskill 3000 mhz RGB ram... and other crap.

Yes it is a gamble, but .... we know how well Ryzen runs and this is not new tech at this point. These are still full fledged zepplin cores so we know that many of the bugs have been ironed out. I am sure that AMD has had ample time to test these new chips as they are doing one of the most retardedly long paper launches I have ever seen before.

On another note I was also careful to buy the parts, except the ram, from Amazon as their return policy is far superior than Newegg. So if it ends up being a flop product I can claim that it didn't perform as advertised and ship it back to Amazon. They will pay the return.

Preordering CPU from Amazon is almost like post-ordering instead lol.

Why you say that?

It takes a week or more to get crap to GA from Slowegg. Amazon can do next day air for $6 for me lol. MolassesEgg charges me nearly 75 to 100 for next air to ship a penny in an envelope.

Ordered mine last week. It is actually nice to order a CPU and motherboard and not have to sell my old one after to recoup some of the cost.

Attachments

• ORDER.JPG
    ORDER.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 27
Not to mention Amazon is leagues above Newegg for return policy

agree, if it wasn't for having to pay taxes when buying on amazon i'd have no reason to ever use newegg but sometimes shipping ends up being cheaper than the taxes so i'll use newegg on certain things.

Why you say that?

It takes a week or more to get crap to GA from Slowegg. Amazon can do next day air for $6 for me lol. MolassesEgg charges me nearly 75 to 100 for next air to ship a penny in an envelope.
They're always slow as hell for me. Maybe they hate me.

agree, if it wasn't for having to pay taxes when buying on amazon i'd have no reason to ever use newegg but sometimes shipping ends up being cheaper than the taxes so i'll use newegg on certain things.
Don't you pay tax on egg purchases via "Use Tax" or does your state not have that?

Why you say that?

Newegg is the best place to buy part for me. Prices are even or cheaper the Amazon most the time cause no tax. Newegg is easier to browse and find what I need and since I am a state over I get my order in 2 days most the time using newegg saver. Even when it comes from their CA warehouse it is no more then 4 days.

I stopped using Amazon to buy when the price would go up simply because I was looking at the product page from two different computers and there was now 'demand' for the product. :banghead:

Decided on going with a new case for my Threadripper build.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQDC0OR/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_03_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I got the tempered glass upgrade kit too.

CA-1G4-00M3WN-01_30bfbdb8165041cfb73a7c72a708e096_thum.jpg

Going to wall mount my rig. This should go fantastically with my MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti video card and the MSI Carbon AC X399 motherboard. Going with all nvme drives will seriously cut back on visible cables too.

Also bought a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360mm CLC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196LP24M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Make sure to post pics once you have your build up an running in that sweet Thermaltake case!

Make sure to post pics once you have your build up an running in that sweet Thermaltake case!

Will do. I won't be wall mounting it until I move apartments at the end of September. So I'll be fighting off my 2 curious cats for the time being

Looking at my MSI x399 preorder on newegg, it looks like it got delayed to the 16th. All of my other stuff has charged already but the MB.

Anybody else having this?

Back