So, who else though the Chernobyl level in CoD4 was a poor S.T.A.L.K.E.R rip.

The Red

[H]ard|Gawd
The moment I saw that level it was dejavu all over again... "I've been here before..." ... Both games are awesome, but the rip just seemed so blatant considering whats placed into STALKER. Its impossible to deny, especially with those wild dogs that look like they were implanted from stalker itself...

CoD4 was more fun overall, but STALKER's Chernobyl atmosphere was far more authentic and live feeling...

The only bad part in CoD4 was the clone wars at the ferris wheel... it was like "ok, so who sent the platoon?, where are they coming from?"

haha that's funny. I didn't play that level yet but I saw it in the intro movie and thought it was an ad for STALKER for a few seconds, no joke..

Hmmm...I thought Infinity Ward's version was pretty awesome graphically speaking...it seemed like they were trying to show up stalker in terms of how it should have been designed. Can't really compare the 2 games graphically i suppose...COD4 makes stalker look like warthog vomit... I really hope there's an expansion to COD4 or more games using this engine, everything looked so damn good on max detail on my system :)

I'm sorry but STALKER had better play and atmosphere for the feelings it was meant to replicate within the player... a very, very engrossing game... CoD4 wins in my book but not because it bested STALKER in its element, it didnt... but because of all the different play-styles the game has and superior variety of gameplay and environments... The Zone and its atmosphere were amazing, but you were basically always in "the zone"...

Both games get a huge plus for attention to detail on everything from peeling wall paint in old buildings to how compromised structural integrity looks when done right...

Stalker wins for open-endedness, atmosphere, and is actually very graphically pleasing, if not only by a hair less than CoD4...

haha that's funny. I didn't play that level yet but I saw it in the intro movie and thought it was an ad for STALKER for a few seconds, no joke..

Same here. If this wasn't an outright rip, Stalker definitely played a major influence.

STALKER played like a pile of shit the first time I played it, so I should probably give it another shot. (patch 1.1 something, bug casserole)

COD4 on the other hand ran flawless and the level did bare some resemblance of STALKER that I did get through.

Anyone else notice that CoD4 seemed to borrow the iconic Chenobyl ferris wheel from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the nuclear explosion effect(s) from Crysis?

The only bad part in CoD4 was the clone wars at the ferris wheel... it was like "ok, so who sent the platoon?, where are they coming from?"
Yes your right, after shooting a high profile persons arm off, you can only expect a few guys chasing you.

I found myself sitting there thinking that CoD4 did the exclusion zone alot better than Stalker did. Maybe it was that there weren't retarded "mutants" and "anomalies" running around. Radiation is incredibly less fun than books/movies/video games make it out to be.

How can CoD4 rip off a real place? That's what the ferris wheel, swimming pool, apartment buildings, etc. actually look like.

QFT, it is possible to have more than one game have locations in the same place (anyone played any ww2 games??)

I just fired up Stalker again and it looks really good and runs like butter on my 8800GT.

I actually think the outdoor graphics in Stalker look more realistic than CoD 4 IMO - there's a naturalness to them that CoD 4 lacks especially in the way it renders trees.

It was similar but they're different types of games.

I hated the end of the chernobyl level in COD4, but I have to agree COD4 makes STALKER look like a sad joke.

I found myself sitting there thinking that CoD4 did the exclusion zone alot better than Stalker did. Maybe it was that there weren't retarded "mutants" and "anomalies" running around. Radiation is incredibly less fun than books/movies/video games make it out to be.

well to be fair, in the stalker game scenario there was a second reactor disaster somewhere after 2000 (dont remember exactly), and stalker is losely based on the film stalker, which in turn is based on the novel roadside picnic, which describes weird anomalies and possible alien artifacts on the "zone".

Both the movie and the novel predate the Chernobyl incident by years.

Its pretty clear that the developpers of stalker took the Chernobyl dead zone as a shoe-in for "the zone" from the original stalker movie/book, allowing for extra creepy stuff with the whole radiation thing.

In short, CoD4 probably does a realistic representation of the dead zone, while stalker uses it as a stage for an unrelated sci-fi scenario

damn i ought to play stalker again, if only i had the time, so many games, so little time

How can CoD4 rip off a real place? That's what the ferris wheel, swimming pool, apartment buildings, etc. actually look like.

bumper cars:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter18.html

ferris wheel:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter19.html

apartment buildings:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter22.html

the swimming pool:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter24.html

thanks , i read her whole website.. very very good

Not to sway too off topic, but thats been argued as a fake. Good read, but doubtfully true.
LA times archive, Random forum post that quotes the article.

I don't, because I have enough sense to know that CoD4 was in development a long time before Stalker was released.

well to be fair, in the stalker game scenario there was a second reactor disaster somewhere after 2000 (dont remember exactly), and stalker is losely based on the film stalker, which in turn is based on the novel roadside picnic, which describes weird anomalies and possible alien artifacts on the "zone".

Both the movie and the novel predate the Chernobyl incident by years.

Its pretty clear that the developpers of stalker took the Chernobyl dead zone as a shoe-in for "the zone" from the original stalker movie/book, allowing for extra creepy stuff with the whole radiation thing.

In short, CoD4 probably does a realistic representation of the dead zone, while stalker uses it as a stage for an unrelated sci-fi scenario

damn i ought to play stalker again, if only i had the time, so many games, so little time

Thanks for the info. :cool:

I don't, because I have enough sense to know that CoD4 was in development a long time before Stalker was released.
I don't think they ripped anything off considering it is a real place but shots of STALKER were released as early as 2002 with the Ferris wheel and other locations.

I thought it was a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. rip as well. One that had better graphics and ran much better.

Whoa, there's a Chernobyl level?? Yum, yum, post-nuclear wastelands. I'm sold!!

Well, not really. I'll wait until it comes down by a few bucks. :)

Not to take away from Stalker because I thought it was a great game but COD4's level was fantastic..Im running it maxed and thought to myself that the should have had the Nvidia logo in a room somewhere.TWIMTBP as a gag..SWEEET!

Haha, that last shot of the pool, looks EXACTLY like the pool they modeled in COD4... Seriously, fire up the game and check it our yourself.

You all know that there can be 2 games (even more) with the same location in them, Infinity ward didn't try to rip it from STALKER why would they, STALKER was based on the Chernobyl incident nothing more, while COD4 was based on a incident that involved the world (thats fake to a degree) that just happen to have the same place in it and yes COD4 would have the better graphics since its a newer game.

Bugger, I dont remember any level like that in COD4... Ill have to go back in there I guess.

Bugger, I dont remember any level like that in COD4... Ill have to go back in there I guess.

It's there. The level in COD4 is obviously much smaller, but it looks much better and on the same hardware, COD4 runs about 4x smoother.

Why should he? It's not like the mention of the level itself tells you a whole lot.

Your right it's not terrible. I just wish people wouldn't put any info like that in thread titles. I prefer to know nothing at all as I play through games until afterward.

Your right it's not terrible. I just wish people wouldn't put any info like that in thread titles. I prefer to know nothing at all as I play through games until afterward.

It is pretty difficult to view sites like this one and not pickup on some spoilers here and there for any new and popular title.

Back