So who else ordered a Ryzen 5000 series CPU?

Who ordered a Ryzen 5000 CPU today?

• 5950x

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • 5900x

Votes: 45 20.4%
  • 5600x

Votes: 42 19.0%
  • Did not order anything, I'm keeping what I have!

Votes: 62 28.1%
  • 5800x

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
My B&H order is also showing "backorder". Hopefully I get my cpu from batch2. I guess waiting another week is fine considering that the 5000 series is sold out everywhere that I'm looking. :p The reviews for the 5900X are amazing so I hope I don't have to wait too much longer!!
I suspect you are gonna be waiting more than a week. They didn't even have launch-day stock from what I've heard.

I'm looking to order a 5950x (ironically, to replace my current Intel 5960x ! ) but alas, no stock. Any ideas? I have a relatively local Microcenter but it seems sold out in store there and of course many places are sold out online. Does Microcenter in-store stuff restock quickly? Better to buy online somewhere?>

I did the B&H preorder for a 5900X. Not sure if I want to upgrade yet but I figured I better get my hat in the ring now if I want one in a couple months.

FWIW, I also got my 3900X via B&H. Ordered on August 19 and it shipped October 3.

I'm looking to order a 5950x (ironically, to replace my current Intel 5960x ! ) but alas, no stock. Any ideas? I have a relatively local Microcenter but it seems sold out in store there and of course many places are sold out online. Does Microcenter in-store stuff restock quickly? Better to buy online somewhere?>
Judging from the Nvdia 3000 series stories. A lot of people have had success camping out at Micro Center but they had to be in line a few hours before store opening. Of course finding out what day your local Micro Center restocks will also help in your hunt. Good luck in your search for a Ryzen 5000 CPU!

Purchased a 5950X from B&H as well.
Was pre-order when I checked out with it (1:38AM) EST, now on backordered.

After the 3 series NV cards... I don't even care how long it takes so long as I know one is on the way.

Last edited:
I initially had the 5800x in my cart right at launch with newegg but when i tried to finish the checkout said out of stock. so went back and got the 5600x. I was already debating on the two thinking they would be pretty close in performance for my needs guess now I saved some money. either way it would have been a more than double upgrade from my really old system

Snagged a 5800x this morning! Anyone have any motherboard recommendations? Been out of the loop for years, first desktop build in probably 10 years. (sounds like I'll probably need one of those fancy flashback bios capable mobos) since I don't have an old CPU to plug in and upgrade the firmware?

Not MSI. Offset voltage is broken. Sets the core speeds to base clock and fixed voltage. This thing is almost peaking 90c at stock on a single Cinebench run at stock voltage. I remounted twice, same results.

I grabbed a 5800X from Amazon, still hasn't shipped and it says my delivery date is Jan. 3rd which worries me. I wish I had been able to find a 5900x just for the extra cores for longevity. Excited to finally upgrade from my 2700k!

I got my order for a 5950x in at BH at 12:06 AM EST, so hopefully there were not too many ahead of me. Also got charged immediately on my CC.

I was going to go stand in the cold at Microcenter but for some reason I woke up at 11:58pm and decided to check my phone. Would have had it in earlier had lastpass not pulled some shenanigans.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: Now my order is showing as backordered. Not a good sign, but have a place in line at least.
Can you please post when you get a shipping update please. I got my order in for a 5900x about 8 minutes after you and it would be great to have some idea if I will be potentially getting mine soon as well.

Thanks!

1604608035731.jpeg

My 5900X shipped! Will be here Monday!

I cancelled both already. I have a 5900X with Best Buy scheduled for delivery on Monday and a 5950X with Amazon scheduled for delivery on Nov 14th. No waiting for me!
Great. Only buy from B&H when it's in stock. Only cameras should be pre-ordered. Their tech items are always weeks to months behind on stock. Great company to deal with though.

Snagged a 5800x this morning! Anyone have any motherboard recommendations? Been out of the loop for years, first desktop build in probably 10 years. (sounds like I'll probably need one of those fancy flashback bios capable mobos) since I don't have an old CPU to plug in and upgrade the firmware?

First of all congrats on snagging a 5000 series AMD CPU! They are really amazing! It depends on your budget but for maximum compatibility I would opt for an x570 motherboard or B550 motherboard.

You can get a decent B550 in the $179-219 dollar range.

If you want the most and latest bells and whistles you can opt for an X570 and there are good ones there anywhere from the $210 all the way up to $700 range in the godlike. Or if you go for a watercooled motherboard you can get up to 1k.

I'm using the x570 Gigabyte Aorus Master which cost me around $350.

Other brands you can choose from include ASUS, MSI, and ASROCK.

So short answer, if you want cheaper with less features just grab a B550 in the ~200 range. If you want more feature rich, go for an X570 in the ~300 or higher range. BTW there are also 'budget' X570s for around $200-220 such as the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra for $212 right now on Amazon. YMMV.

I ordered from B&H at 5:30 I’m wondering if I will get it before December. Any thoughts?
I’m getting the 5900x
Someone did mention that they received their 3900X preorder from B&H about 2 weeks later. But every chip generation is different.
I guess it also depends on if you landed in 'batch 1' 'batch 2' 'batch 3' etc. of their preorders. I'm hoping that AMD provides resellers a lot better stock of CPU than Nvidia did of their GPU. LOL.

I pre-ordered my 5950X last night from B&H at 9:30pm PST. Went on backorder when I checked in the morning.

I walked into my local Canada Computers when they opened today at 10am and picked up a 5600X. They only had 2 left. when I checked at 9:30am, they had listed 5+ at each location, for the 5600X, 5800X and 5900X. As of now, all gone. No listings on Amazon.ca for 5000 series yet.

When will the 5900x get a restock I don’t trust my B&H “preorder/back order” thing. Man they really have some nerve don’t they?

First of all congrats on snagging a 5000 series AMD CPU! They are really amazing! It depends on your budget but for maximum compatibility I would opt for an x570 motherboard or B550 motherboard.

You can get a decent B550 in the $179-219 dollar range.

If you want the most and latest bells and whistles you can opt for an X570 and there are good ones there anywhere from the $210 all the way up to $700 range in the godlike. Or if you go for a watercooled motherboard you can get up to 1k.

I'm using the x570 Gigabyte Aorus Master which cost me around $350.

Other brands you can choose from include ASUS, MSI, and ASROCK.

So short answer, if you want cheaper with less features just grab a B550 in the ~200 range. If you want more feature rich, go for an X570 in the ~300 or higher range. BTW there are also 'budget' X570s for around $200-220 such as the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra for $212 right now on Amazon. YMMV.
I just received my X570 Aorus Master. I didn't luck out on the 5900x but did get a 5800x from BB. Thinking of using it and seeing if it fulfill my usage case. Based on your research of the Aorus Master, do you think it's overkill? I going for stable board with good VRM. Most importantly, I needed the USB C front panel header which only some of the higher end board seems to have, cheapest being around $230 or so. Now I'm not sure if I should downgrade the board to a $260-$280 level since I might end up with the 5800x and not the 5900x.

I'll be one of the boring (and jealous) ones who is keeping what they have for now.

Congrats to those of you who were able to snag something on launch day. I was excited to read/watch all the Zen 3 reviews and they didn't disappoint. It's good to see AMD in top form again and I'm looking forward to building my first AMD system since the FX-52. Just not anytime soon.

Assuming my X58 system has another year left in it, I decided to wait for the Zen 4 / AM5 socket for longevity reasons. I've squeezed 10 years out of my existing platform and I'd like to get 10 years out of my next one, barring any sort of game changing technological advances or financial windfalls of course. While the gains are phenomenal on Zen 3, this being EOL for the socket gave me pause on the upgrade.

I'm good for now, but if I hadn't upgraded to a 3900X a few months ago I would have been first in line for one of these. The performance is crazy.

I missed the 8500x this morning because I tried to use Newegg's quad pay feature. They didn't hold the CPU for me while I was checking out but they still put 2 $150 holds on my card. Every time I order from them they fuck something up.

Thankfully I was able to get a 5600x and it should be here tomorrow. I'll mostly be playing at 1440p so I shouldn't have any issues. If I need more power I'll just grab a 5950x down the road and give my mom the 5600x.

Had a buddy stand in line yesterday morning for an hour (ha ha ha) at Canada Computers in Oshawa. He was second in a line of 10 guys and managed to buy one of the 6 Ryzen 5800x processors they had in stock at launch. That's all they had, no 5900x, no 5950x and surprisingly no 5600x. He gets a Ryzen 3200G for his trouble.

Godly performance now between it and my EVGA 3090 FTW. It will be fun to see how the Radeon 6000 series review and stock situation unfolds now that I am not actively trying to buy anything.

Yes yes, 3090 is stupid and how dare I buy one ha ha.

I have a 5600x now, not seeing too much performance increase at 1080P Warzone over my 3600x, maybe 20 fps but I'm still waiting for a 3080.

I have a 5600x now, not seeing too much performance increase at 1080P Warzone over my 3600x, maybe 20 fps but I'm still waiting for a 3080.
what do you have the 5600x clocked at? Mine is arriving today, to replace the rig with a 3600 at 4.4ghz.

5600x.png

I could only find the 5600x yesterday, struck out on the 5900 and 5950

Received my 5800X a little while ago and installed. Nice CPU. However, it does run hotter than the 3700X it replaced.

Received my 5800X a little while ago and installed. Nice CPU. However, it does run hotter than the 3700X it replaced.
How much hotter? What's your cooling setup? Mine is arriving today (Hopefully) and I have the rest of the parts to build so will be doing some testing this weekend. My current rig is an oldie 8700 on a Z390 platform and running around 30C idle and 55Cish on load which is pretty decent.

i got a newegg 5950x yesterday and am waiting on the UPS truck now... somehow its getting delivered today... the fastest ive EVER gotten a package from newegg. and i didnt slow down long enough to pick faster shipping. so idk how i got THIS lucky... but im a happy camper

Had a buddy stand in line yesterday morning for an hour (ha ha ha) at Canada Computers in Oshawa. He was second in a line of 10 guys and managed to buy one of the 6 Ryzen 5800x processors they had in stock at launch. That's all they had, no 5900x, no 5950x and surprisingly no 5600x. He gets a Ryzen 3200G for his trouble.

Godly performance now between it and my EVGA 3090 FTW. It will be fun to see how the Radeon 6000 series review and stock situation unfolds now that I am not actively trying to buy anything.

Yes yes, 3090 is stupid and how dare I buy one ha ha.
Any chance you got any benchmark numbers comparing your old cpu to the new one using the 3090?

I purchased a 3700X for $275 back in April with full intentions of making it a temporary CPU until I got a 12-core Zen 3.

Now that I got my 5900X, I’m going to build a HTPC around the 3700X. Will be the perfect CPU for it!
I am using a 2700 for my linux based PVR.

I just received my X570 Aorus Master. I didn't luck out on the 5900x but did get a 5800x from BB. Thinking of using it and seeing if it fulfill my usage case. Based on your research of the Aorus Master, do you think it's overkill? I going for stable board with good VRM. Most importantly, I needed the USB C front panel header which only some of the higher end board seems to have, cheapest being around $230 or so. Now I'm not sure if I should downgrade the board to a $260-$280 level since I might end up with the 5800x and not the 5900x.
If your motherboard is performing well and you need the features of the Aorus Master then just keep it. Downgrading means that you have to mess with return policies and you can't be sure everything will work out with a new setup.

Frankly I'm happy with the performance of my Aorus Master so I'll be keeping it. The nice thing about this motherboard is that I have the capability to upgrade to a top of the line EOL product such as the 5000 series without worrying if the VRMs, features, etc. will be up to snuff for a drop in upgrade.
My plan is to go from 3700X->5900X and if i hadn't "overbought" my motherboard last year, I probably would not be going to a Ryzen 9 5000 cpu.
Who knows you might be very happy with the 5800X performance for a couple of years, and then down the road if you decide to pick up a 5950x when their price drops you can always plug in the high end CPU with no worries.

The only reason I would see for you to downgrade the motherboard at this point is if you can put the price difference into a different upgrade, for example do you need to purchase another 32GB of RAM for your case usage or is there a 1TB SSD that you've been eyeing but held off on to afford the Aorus Master.
Now I'm just waiting on B&H's stock for these new 5000 CPUs. Congrats on getting yours first!

Back