So... when do you think the price of phenoms will start to drop?

nonameo

Gawd
We know they're overpriced... so when's the right price going to come around? Next stepping?

When is Intel's next price cut scheduled for? I expect AMD to follow suit at that time unless something unforeseen happens before then.

I'll give it a month before prices start to slowly drop off untill retailers start selling decent amounts of them. I'm betting they'll get really affordable right before AMD releases a fixed (higher clocking without the nasty microcode bug) revision, at which point they'll want to flush retailers of all the old models as fast as possible (which will be the time to buy if 2.3GHz is enough for you).

Ah... well, I was considering going with AMD since the performance in supreme commander actually isn't that bad (for both phenom and athlon x2) with the phenom X4 being just barely under clock for clock with intel quad and the athlon 64 x2 making a decent "in between" processor.

but the whole decision rests on the pricing and overclocking performance of phenom. If phenom doesn't prove to be a viable upgrade path, then intel it is. I'm still kind of hoping that AMD will make a glorious pricing move and make it worthwhile, but we'll see.

AMD really can't afford to make to many price cuts. Their earnings are so low right now. Just look at their stock right now the earnings per share are so low. It's pretty scary.

I honestly prefer AMD over Intel, but if Intel is consistantly better for a while, I am not affraid to make the switch. I have a 6000+ right now, and I think I am going to stick with that rig for now. I think I will hold off on building anything new until Q4 '08 or Q1 '09. It also depends on what does actually come out though. ;)

Back