so when do you think the 1333FSB mobos will be released?

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
as well as the 1333 Ram support to match?

I wonder especially since Nvidia will likely need time to follow suite considering i havent even seen anything on an update from them.

you may not have noticed but many have already been on sale for a good few weeks ...
Many older mobos will also run them.
You only need DDR2 667 RAM to run 1:1 with a 1333 CPU (it's a 333fsb bus quad pumped)

^^^ Exactly. Most of the newer 965 board support 1333mhz CPU's. Just have to find the right bios updates for the motherboard you're looking at running.

oh i see (many of the Series 3 were flaunting the 1333FSB as if it was its main new feature).

but also i am curious about the nvidia 600 series boards as well.

ASUS 680i and 650i will handle 1333 with BIOS update.
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 has native support for 1333.:D

hm, then i'm not sure, why are they flouting this so much on the intel series 3 stuff? i mean, i know it will support DDR3, but the 1333FSB seems to be like a big deal in all the reports.

and speaking of which, when will the 1333FSB core CPU's be shipped? isnt it supposed to be sometime this month?

marketing crap. big numbers = better stuff. my cpu has been running at over 1600mhz fsb for almost a year.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the 6XX series boards were 1333mhz FSB ready IIRC. 45nm is another story. We'll see what happens there in the next few months.

ok then so what is the point of the Bearlake and intel 3 series boards coming out with the new 1333FSB cpu's?

These support the future 45nm chips--coming later this year(???). There is a set of 65nm 1333fsb chips due out soon.

ok then so what is the point of the Bearlake and intel 3 series boards coming out with the new 1333FSB cpu's?

Yeah, 45nm is the key. Also the addition of DDR3 memory support, although board makers have the option of using either DDR2 or DDR3. It seems like DDR2 is more popular at the moment, but at least one version of the Gigabyte board has DDR3 support as does the Asus P5K3.

so 45nm and DDR3, but isnt that another thing that could possibly be added with a firmware update? (or will nvidia indeed have ot eventually come out with a new chipset to accomadate that as well?)

afaik the VRM requirements for the 45nm CPUs have changed again from the current & DDR3 needs a different memory controller so both require hardware changes - can't be done by BIOS alone.

so 45nm and DDR3, but isnt that another thing that could possibly be added with a firmware update? (or will nvidia indeed have ot eventually come out with a new chipset to accomadate that as well?)

It's possible support for 45nm CPUs can be added via BIOS update but there is no guarantee that this can be done. As for DDR 3, it has a different pin out and won't even fit in DDR 2 slots.

afaik the VRM requirements for the 45nm CPUs have changed again from the current & DDR3 needs a different memory controller so both require hardware changes - can't be done by BIOS alone.

I don't know if the VRM specs have been published. I wouldn't think so as Intel tends to release the white papers on these things much closer to launch than we are now. Also DDR 3 is different enough from DDR 2 that a new memory controller will have to be integrated into NVIDIA's next north bridge. One hardware change is required, another one is a possibility.

ok then so basically DDR3 support (i guess i thought it would have been interchangeable like DDR and DDR2) is what they have exlusively, so then one wonders where Nvidias new chipset for that is?

ok then so basically DDR3 support (i guess i thought it would have been interchangeable like DDR and DDR2) is what they have exlusively, so then one wonders where Nvidias new chipset for that is?

Well, from Nvidia's perspective, it makes little sense to R&D a DDR3 board and then do another board for 45nm.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about. DDR 1 and DDR 2 are NOT interchangable. AMD processors are a good example of this. Socket 939 processors are not capable of supporting DDR 2 for example. Only AM2 processors are compatible with it.

Since the memory controller is integrated into the chipset a new chipset will need to be created for DDR 3 compatibility.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about. DDR 1 and DDR 2 are NOT interchangable. AMD processors are a good example of this. Socket 939 processors are not capable of supporting DDR 2 for example. Only AM2 processors are compatible with it.

Since the memory controller is integrated into the chipset a new chipset will need to be created for DDR 3 compatibility.

Some chipsets support both DDR1 and DDR2, I thought that was what he meant by interchangeable. Although, no Nvidia chipset I know of supports both DDR1/2 or DDR2/3

Some chipsets support both DDR1 and DDR2, I thought that was what he meant by interchangeable. Although, no Nvidia chipset I know of supports both DDR1/2 or DDR2/3

Some chipsets support both DDR 1 and DDR 2 that's true. The P35 chipset supports both DDR 2 and DDR 3 but not at the same time.

Well, from Nvidia's perspective, it makes little sense to R&D a DDR3 board and then do another board for 45nm.

oh, i didnt realize that 1 and 2 werent interchangeable, i thought it was.

Anyhow, since 45nm is possible through a firmware update i didnt think they'd have to do one then the other since technically they already had a 45nm board. And since Intel is releasing their new boards predicated on that i would think Nvidia would follow similar suite.

oh, i didnt realize that 1 and 2 werent interchangeable, i thought it was.

Anyhow, since 45nm is possible through a firmware update i didnt think they'd have to do one then the other since technically they already had a 45nm board. And since Intel is releasing their new boards predicated on that i would think Nvidia would follow similar suite.

Well, I'd like to see 45nm CPU's running on the 680i before I agree. All I've heard is rumors so far. I wouldn't buy a 680i board now with the intention of going 45nm...at least not until there is more info available.

I think the real question is what is the X38 chipset going to look like. I think that will shape what Nvidia does next.

Back