So.. when did you start your Steam account?

Apparently on my birthday.
steam_start_zpsaa10392f.jpg

had a half-life GOTY disc + an early "half-life generation" before steam launched

thanks to these games ( cs retail - hl retail - opposing force - hl goty ) i opened 4 seperate accounts back in 2003, steam was around 700mb back then (including the 1.6 files ) took me like 24hours of downloading through a slow-as-shit ISDN 64k line

months and years went by, now I can't remember the passwords i used back then, when hl2 came out i made a fith account and stuck with it, 160 games so far :)

So wait, this isn't a shaming thread? I've always felt ashamed at having given in to steam. I held out as long as I could avoiding everything HL.

Just confirmed that Steam says 2004/11/17 for mine... but I thought I had created it earlier than that to jump into CS 1.6... Maybe I created a new account for some reason when installing HL2 ¯\(°_o)/¯

September 12, 2003 and I remember being endlessly frustrated by Steam. Valve's servers were hammered non-stop back when Half-Life 2 finally came out and you couldn't even start Steam let alone play Half-Life 2. I can't think of a game off hand that I've ever been more excited about and it delivered, issues aside.

June 14, 2005. i remember that day well. i took a hiatus from gaming from 2003-2005 (last two years of college nothing but studying and drinking). i got back into gaming in June of 2005 with Doom 3, HL2 and BF2. glorious. i was waiting to check out at best buy and looking over the HL2 box and thinking 'what is this steam bullshit?' :D

Member since 19 September, 2003.

It was probably for CS, WON network and other such things hitting the pooper.

Years of Service

steamyears1002_80.png

Years of Service
500 XP
Unlocked: Dec 7, 2013 @ 4:23pm

Member since December 7, 2003.

main.php

Hurray for CS1.6! Though, I remember being in the beta for Steam, it didn't give me credit for that time.

Same here. Fucking sucked when it first launched. Hated it, wanted WON back.

I dunno, it was super easy for people back then to simple change their CD Key in the registry and thus get a whole new WON ID to cheat on. Cheaters with large lists of CD Keys could just keep rejoining your server within a minute or two.

My first account with like 100 games was on Nov 18, 2003. I can tell by the email generated to confirm it, but the account got blocked when I was deployed and tried to log in to it, they said the location showed the account was hacked and I had to call tech support within 24 hours to get it unlocked. Well, I couldn't call from Bahrain at the time and sit on hold for hours so I lost my account, they still have never unlocked it to this day. I started a new account in 2008 that I've used since then and had to re-buy all the games I had before.

For me: Sept. 2004....hmmm, seems like a cluster around HL 2 release.

Anyone want to do a member start v/s date graph? Let go OP!

My first account with like 100 games was on Nov 18, 2003. I can tell by the email generated to confirm it, but the account got blocked when I was deployed and tried to log in to it, they said the location showed the account was hacked and I had to call tech support within 24 hours to get it unlocked.

Sounds weird, I thought their usual way to resolve ownership issues was to ask for physical evidence from a game attached to the account, say a picture featuring the back-of-the-manual CD-KEY for HL2 or something like that.

I have my 10 yr badge. Created the account when I got HL2 with a graphics card.

Same here. Fucking sucked when it first launched. Hated it, wanted WON back.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that first year. If I remember right, there was a Steam update that first December or so that would break Directx installs. Amazing to see where Steam is today.

I was in the beta, so like.. immediately. But I sold my account back in like 2007 for about $100. I was approached, so $100 sealed the deal. My active account I use now started in 2007 but I am a Steam beta guy.

Also, keep in mind that Steam sucked ass for many years so selling a Steam account meant nothing but pure profit. The service crashed regularly and has ongoing connection issues for what seemed like 3 years lol

My active account was created on Feb 2005. My original account was when the Radeon x800 was released and included a code for CSS beta. That account was disabled when my 16 yr old dumb ass self listened to my friend, and put in a cd key for a free copy of HL2.

My active account was created on Feb 2005. My original account was when the Radeon x800 was released and included a code for CSS beta. That account was disabled when my 16 yr old dumb ass self listened to my friend, and put in a cd key for a free copy of HL2.

lol
I like how that article has a picture of a hl2 strider mob with the caption
"Some of the enemies in Half-Life 2 are formidable."

How is that related at all?! :-P

From that article:
If Steam proves effective at cutting the piracy of games to a minimum, said Mr Fahey, other game makers may be tempted to set up copycat systems.
It took a while, but the prediction eventually came true.

Sounds weird, I thought their usual way to resolve ownership issues was to ask for physical evidence from a game attached to the account, say a picture featuring the back-of-the-manual CD-KEY for HL2 or something like that.

I have my 10 yr badge. Created the account when I got HL2 with a graphics card.

Possibly, but this was in maybe 2006 so I don't know if the system was done differently since then. I've asked support a few times over the years and they said no.

Back