So.. when did you start your Steam account?

December 6, 2005
I was aware of Steam at launch, but I absolutely refused to use it for the longest time because I thought that digital distribution was an easy way to get screwed out of owning anything. I eventually caved,
Pretty much same here, I caved and created an account when valve did the "free portal" promotion arround 2010.

Later I did buy a few things, but I refuse to pay anywhere near full price for a game I don't really own and can't easilly share with my brother*

* yes i'm aware of steam family sharing but it only appeared very recently and doesn't allow individual games to be shared, I know I could work arround the latter restriction by creating a seperate steam account for each game but that seems like a hell of a lot of effort to manage.

steam_years.jpg

What is Steam?:eek:
Steam is an online game sales/distribution/drm/multiplayer service run by valve software (a game developer), originally created for use by their own games but later opened up to third party games and now valve's largest source of income. It's known for it's cheap sales but it's also known for it's draconian policy of locking games to accounts.

I'm still young, but I've followed Steam since the beginning. Refused to sign up until more recently because I was one of those that negatively thought about Steam and how it would impact the industry (DRM). It helped that it rightfully sucked back then.

Nov. 7, 2009

I started in Oct, 2004, but I avoided it for a while when they started. Digital downloads were something I was extremely hesitant with because even then I knew that if Steam went under any money I spent with them would be forfeit. I still remember Valve/Gabe were posting things at the time that if they went under they give you a steam free download of your purchases, and give you time to download your purchases before they closed up permanently, to try and reassure buyers. All those promises pretty much were reneged via their ToS, and changing the language so that went Steam from a way to buy games to a way to subscribe to them. That way they don't have to do jack for you if they ever go under (not that it looks like they will anytime in the soon, but it's in the ToS you never read but click accept to every time you buy or redeem anything with steam).

I remember when graphic card boxes were cool like that and he cards themselves now they are a boring array of whatever joe the graphic designer can muster up.

Member since 19 December, 2005.
First game was Counter Strike.
Currently 171 games in my list. Top games by hours Civ V and Dark Souls II.

December 2004
Ati 9600 pro (I wish Ati was still around ) HL2 bundle
First game was Counter-strike source
library? fuck like a billion wish I could sell a lot of these back.

Got it when I purchased Half-Life 2 back in 2004. Remember, it was forced upon us at that point and we were all bitching about it in one form or another.

Now, I don't think I could game without it.

Member since July 5, 2005.

I can still remember why I joined. Anyone recall steamdown? I eventually bought CS:S and other source games a few months later. Fun times. :)

Sept 21th 2003

Gawd I was opposed to the idea. Already had 15 years of pc gaming under my belt at that point. Had it not been for halflife and then counterstrike I would have never considered it.

Now I find it less annoying. Very convenient..... but..... still....

Member since December 20, 2005.
I'm pretty sure it was when I got Half Life 2

July 28, 2004

Just a bit before HL2 was released, because I had bought a CD box set of HL1 (second time I purchased HL1) that came with all of the xpacs and I figured out I could just put my CD keys in and not have to keep track of a million discs.

September 12, 2003 with a 10-year badge.

EDIT: heh, only six or seven of us in here with the oldest date

At launch, used to run a Day of Defeat server with real life buddies, all of us joined at that time but we didn't make the move to Source DoD in full. I still have the 1U server :cool:

Unlocked: Sep 12, 2013 @ 12:05pm

Last edited:
November 17, 2004. I don't remember why I went ahead and joined up. But it is not really my account any longer. It has been commandeered by my son! He uses it way more than I, hehe.

I apparently joined on September 12th, 2003 at 6:48pm.

I played TFC, CS 1.6, and DoD at the time, so it was a necessity. I was also one of the those (lucky?) people who had almost no problems with Steam, even during the first year, though I did miss the familiarity of the WON servers for a while.

had to get steam for CS1.6. I remember hating steam so much when it came out.
1f0e0e51698d3dc45b44823cb3b72267.png

Back