So what's your favorite FPS?

sdkoskey

Weaksauce
I've been looking for another FPS to play so I thought I'd shoot the question out to the world to see what's out there. I'm not a really heavy gamer so I'm not really in touch with the latest available games. I'm not really interested in online gaming either.

(you're gonna laugh at some of these "recent" games I've played)
Riddick - EFBB - this one's older but I just finished it a couple days ago and enjoyed it.
Bioshock - one of my all time favorites
Portal - pretty cool little game
FEAR (plus expansion) - Really disappointed with this game
FEAR 2 - big improvement over the first one.
COD - I tried a few of these but never finished any of them. I don't know why. They're good games
Crysis - I have this game but won't play it until I get a better video card where I can jack up the settings more than my 8800 Ultra will handle.
Far Cry 2 - good game... repetitive.
Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2 - great games
Quake (all) - nothing needs to be said about them. They all rock
Doom 1 and 2 - Doom 3 sucked (my opinion of course)
Half-Life (all) - more of all time best
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - awesome game
NOLF 1 and 2 - Both fantastic games.

Sound off with some of your favorites.

Last edited:
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Call of Duty 4
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

You are missing a lot of gems in yours... I know you have your own opinions... but dayum man:

Quake
Doom and Doom 2
Half Life, entire campaign is just fucking excellent.
Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 2k4, great LAN game, same with
Soldier of Fortune
Call of Duty 2
First half of Crysis (does this even count if you say HALF of a game? :p)

You are missing a lot of gems in yours... I know you have your own opinions... but dayum man:

Quake
Doom and Doom 2
Half Life, entire campaign is just fucking excellent.
Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 2k4, great LAN game, same with
Soldier of Fortune
Call of Duty 2
First half of Crysis (does this even count if you say HALF of a game? :p)

Yeah, more that I forgot about. I've played Quake several times but that's been a LOOOOONG time ago.

I tried Doom3 but it sucked so bad, I removed it before I got 1/2 way through it.

SOF was awesome. Also, SOF2.

Yeah, more that I forgot about. I've played Quake several times but that's been a LOOOOONG time ago.

I tried Doom3 but it sucked so bad, I removed it before I got 1/2 way through it.

SOF was awesome. Also, SOF2.

Back in high school a few friends and I killed so many hours in our basements playing CTF in SoF and Onslaught in UT2k4

Surprised no one mentioned NOLF1/2 yet. Granted I'm playing NOLF2 now but damn it's amazing.

Also, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.... in fact I'm going to play this again once I beat NOLF2. :c) And the obvious classics such as Doom 1-2, HL series and LOVED COD4! SOF2 was fantastic as well... although I only played online for that.

A few great blasts from the past - if you haven't tried these, you should.

PainKiller and Battle out of Hell
Far Cry (1)
Clive Barker's Undying

probably UT2k4, i just enjoy running around and splattering bots against the walls with my flak cannon, its an excellent stress reliever, i just got UT3, and while it is quite nice, i havent found the DM map to replace my fav UT2k4 map yet (tokara forest, closely followed by asbestos and antalus)

i do like the quake series too, and the BF series was nice up to 2142, which sucked..

never really 'got' halflife, HL is impressive when put in its timezone, but hl2, dont know, it just didnt catch on to me that much..

Far Cry, the first one....
Unreal Tournament 2004 as well
Counter strike, I liked all of them

Surprised no one mentioned NOLF1/2 yet. Granted I'm playing NOLF2 now but damn it's amazing.

Also, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.... in fact I'm going to play this again once I beat NOLF2. :c) And the obvious classics such as Doom 1-2, HL series and LOVED COD4! SOF2 was fantastic as well... although I only played online for that.

Hell yes! I completely forgot about those too. I played those 2 games so many times.... They're both awesome.

Contrary to some in this thread, there are those of us who appreciate an awesome storyline, with great environments, lovable characters, general immersion, etc. All the great elements of a single player FPS - and to that end, here are some of my favorites:

• Deus Ex (have played through it five times and am STILL finding new wrinkles in the dialog tree and plot)
  • Half Life series
  • Portal

Multiplayer list:

1. Team Fortress 2
  2. Unreal Tournament (original)
  3. COD4

No order,

Starsiege: Tribes
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield: Bad Company
Half Life and Half Life 2
Goldeneye 007
Fear 2
COD: WaW
Painkiller
Duke Nukem 3D
Unreal
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Redneck Rampage
Kingpin
System Shock 1 & 2
Prey
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is my favorite fps since the original Half-Life. Just make sure you get all the mods to improve it. At a minimum, Float32 and SHARPER Textures. Oblivion Lost if you want to really change the game.

I haven't tried STALKER: Clear Sky yet because I'm saving it for when I'll have a nice stretch of time to play it right.

Counter-Strike

I've been playing for years and probably will not stop for another couple of years.

I do miss Halo: Combat Evolved system link though. Good times.

The only one I remember having a lot of fun playing alot was the old counter strike. I remember staying up till the wee hours of the morning playing that.

My most recent one? I would say CoD4, the game play and story was damn good.

Breakdown for Xbox.

Seriously, I wish there was a sequel or comparable game to it.

No order,

Starsiege: Tribes
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield: Bad Company
Half Life and Half Life 2
Goldeneye 007
Fear 2
COD: WaW
Painkiller
Duke Nukem 3D
Unreal
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Redneck Rampage
Kingpin
System Shock 1 & 2
Prey
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

You listed a few really good ones there:

Redneck Rampage (awesome with the "language" pack)
Prey was great
Duke Nukem - All time classic

I need to try out Left 4 Dead

Another couple I forgot:
Max Payne 1 and 2

Serious Sam series... kinda disappointed nobody mentioned this. :) VERY fun single player games, and coop.

The Battlefield series has been my favorite FPS line by far, nothing quite like ventrilo + FPS games.

After that I'd probably vote for Quake or the original Unreal Tournament (I have the Game of the year edition w00t!). I've actually honed my skills on my laptop's touchpad in UT. Bring it.

Serious Sam series... kinda disappointed nobody mentioned this. :) VERY fun single player games, and coop.

Absolutely. Both were great but I hated the last level in the second game. It was almost impossible for me to complete.

Another one of my favorites that I just remembered...
Deus Ex - The second one was ok but the first was awesome.

The only ones mentioned that I haven't played are Undying and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I have my doubts about the MoH game, as I have never played one that hasn't sucked, but they were all on consoles except for Airborne, which just validated my point about them all sucking.

I do recall playing the CoD games on console and thinking the same thing though, and then I got them for the PC and played them (like in the beginning of last year lol) and thought they were awesome. I actually made a list like this way back in 2006 when I decided to get back into PC gaming after a 5 year break (last game I played was Warcraft 3).

So maybe I'll give Medal of Honor: Allied Assault a try. What about Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault? Any good?

Most have already been said, but I'll throw out another few votes.

Single player I'm playing now: Fear 2 (I've already beaten the HL2 series and Portal, but you MUST play them!)
Multiplayer I'm playing now: TF2, L4D, COD4

Half-Life and UT99 are tops. Serious Sam series and Painkiller are also some of my favourites, as are the first two Quake games, STALKER: SoC, UT2004, Riddick: EFBB, and FEAR.

COD4 single player is pretty dominant. COD:WaW I thought was far weaker then its predecessor because they knew the vast majority of customers were going to skip right into the multiplayer

Back